California

Old Nov 15th 2005, 4:56 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California

Originally Posted by antjen
How did the interview go?

Ant
A comedy of errors to begin with, feel like an idiot. I'll probably blog it tomorrow

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Nov 15th 2005 at 5:03 am.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:19 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
A comedy of errors to begin with, feel like an idiot. I'll probably blog it tomorrow
It's tomorrow already here.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 6:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevntrace
I've been in CA for 10 years, plus 1 year in Michigan. The Michigan thing was unplanned - long story. But I eventually got back to CA.

I've felt 2 earthquakes since I've been here, but I didn't realise either of them was an earthquake until the "natives" explained it to me. So no, I haven't experienced a big one yet.

Yes, CA suffers from earthquakes. Problem is they are totally unpredictable - but you know they are coming eventually. Personally, I prefer this to hurricane season, which happens predictably every year.

And speaking of earthquakes, I've just decided to take out earthquake insurance this year, what with Katrina and everything, plus the vast majority of my estate is tied up in the house. I took out a standard policy which has a 15% deductible, and comes with $75k contents coverage (which is an extra fee - standard is $5k coverage). Cost me $2400. And reading the fine print, this does not cover me for consequential damages. So say an earthquake occurs, damages the house, then causes a fire. The earthquake policy does not cover the damage by the fire

Oh well, welcome to CA.

I think you are confusing consequential loss with proximate cause.

The example you give, Earthquake would be the proximate cause.

Not being able to say get to work and losing wages would be consequential loss.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be more worried about how you will afford a house, don't even bother coming here unless your joint income is/will be in the $120K - $150K range plus.[/QUOTE]

Very,very,very valid point, the cost of property here is a bloody joke!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by veryfunny
I'd be more worried about how you will afford a house, don't even bother coming here unless your joint income is/will be in the $120K - $150K range plus.

Very,very,very valid point, the cost of property here is a bloody joke![/QUOTE]

Only been to San Fran, but commuter properties there and around London seemed in the same bracket.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Very,very,very valid point, the cost of property here is a bloody joke!
Only been to San Fran, but commuter properties there and around London seemed in the same bracket.[/QUOTE]

correct ..the cost of property in CA (LA and the Bay) is no different to London, in fact in the east of LA county, away from the beach, where we live, its considerably cheaper (average $500k) .. its just a lot more than the rest of the US
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:30 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Only been to San Fran, but commuter properties there and around London seemed in the same bracket.
correct ..the cost of property in CA (LA and the Bay) is no different to London, in fact in the east of LA county, away from the beach, where we live, its considerably cheaper (average $500k) .. its just a lot more than the rest of the US [/QUOTE]

$500K will not get much of a house in the major metropolitan areas of CA, especially LA and SF. The other big consideration if you have have kids is school districts, the price of housing is generally contingent on the quality of the local schools. A $500K house would probably no longer get you a decent school area, so either you have to up the anti on a house ( $750K - $1M) or factor in costs to pay for private schooling. There is also cost of cars to be considered, since living in less expensive areas generally would mean longer commutes
i.e buying a new car every 5 years.
London is also one of if not the most expensive cities in the world so I'd agree the 2 major cities in CA (LA and SF) are on a par with the cost of living in London.
Bottom line is a joint income of at least $120K just to sustain a lower middle class existence in the areas of CA where the majority of work is located.
Don't expect a vacation until you have put in a years service with a company in CA. either, and then it will be 5 - 10 days a year max.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

$500K will not get much of a house in the major metropolitan areas of CA, especially LA and SF. The other big consideration if you have have kids is school districts, the price of housing is generally contingent on the quality of the local schools. A $500K house would probably no longer get you a decent school area, so either you have to up the anti on a house ( $750K - $1M) or factor in costs to pay for private schooling. There is also cost of cars to be considered, since living in less expensive areas generally would mean longer commutes
Bollox we live in one of the best school districts in LA county and for $500k you can still get 1800sq ft and 3 beds - you're just a swanky west sider

PS I only post this shit to pull your chain
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

I lived in New Hampshire and had to live with snow (sorry, I hate snow). I lived in Florida and had to live with hurricanes. I lived in Northern California and had to live with earthquakes (1989 Loma Prieta Quake). I lived in Southern California and lived with more earthquakes - albeit lesser ones. Then I moved to Oklahoma and I now live with tornadoes - I actually lived through an F3 hopscotching over my house 2 years ago! Scariest thing I've ever lived through.
My point? Wherever you live there's going to be "something". For me it's a matter of WHAT I can live with. I can live with tornadoes. You can see them coming and receive plenty of warning - not so with earthquakes.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Bollox we live in one of the best school districts in LA county and for $500k you can still get 1800sq ft and 3 beds - you're just a swanky west sider

Good schools in affordable areas are also to be had in college towns away from the 'big ones' (i.e. not Berkeley, LA, San Diego or Santa Barbara).
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:51 pm
Banned

PS I only post this shit to pull your chain

As I do when I see your posts on the CA housing market. So I take it you agree with the level of income needed to sustain a middle class lifestyle in CA?
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Elvira
Good schools in affordable areas are also to be had in college towns away from the 'big ones' (i.e. not Berkeley, LA, San Diego or Santa Barbara).
I'm sure there are however the job opportunities would be less which is reflected in the cost of housing, a basic supply and demand issue.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:55 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there are however the job opportunities would be less which is reflected in the cost of housing, a basic supply and demand issue.

True to some extent, but universities and associated businesses do tend to offer lots of job opportunities. And university jobs come with great benefits!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Elvira
True to some extent, but universities and associated businesses do tend to offer lots of job opportunities. And university jobs come with great benefits!
So you work in a university. You are applying yourself as a case study rather than a general demographics approach, which is unfair Unless you can get the OP a job and green card
Old Nov 15th 2005, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

As I do when I see your posts on the CA housing market. So I take it you agree with the level of income needed to sustain a middle class lifestyle in CA?

I totally agree - if not more .. everyone I know in the $100k earnings range have to have second incomes to have a reasonable standard of living - the only people I know with single incomes are in the 150k plus range or bought property at least 10 years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.