Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

cable, internet and phone??

cable, internet and phone??

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:57 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cable, internet and phone??

Originally Posted by Bob
same with cable though as well...
I've got cable points in every room and I take my portable t.v to all of them, and I seem to get most/all of my channels.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
same with cable though as well...

No you are not limited to the number of TV's. If you have cable points in every room...you can watch a TV in every room.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No you are not limited to the number of TV's. If you have cable points in every room...you can watch a TV in every room.
We have a cable point outside on the lanai as well.........
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
I've got cable points in every room and I take my portable t.v to all of them, and I seem to get most/all of my channels.
don't you need a digital receiver box though to get most of them? We do if we want the tele and we were only offered two boxes, extra were more money, but we only use one anyway...
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:47 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
don't you need a digital receiver box though to get most of them? We do if we want the tele and we were only offered two boxes, extra were more money, but we only use one anyway...
no, when we lived in Indy a few yrs back - yes that was the case. But maybe it's new technology or something as we only have one box per house but get cable in all the rooms.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 2:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

no, when we lived in Indy a few yrs back - yes that was the case. But maybe it's new technology or something as we only have one box per house but get cable in all the rooms.
with us, we need a box per tv, or when you plug your tele in, the tele will only be on the channel that the box is set too...
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

All cable channels, or basic cable?
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:17 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I use Comcast for internet and tv and bellsouth for phoneline

comcast come to about $140 a month for HD cable tv (no fancy channels like HBO) and the highest tier internet

with bellsouth i get the usual unlimited calling local and long distance but I also get a grand-fathered in plan that gives me unlimited calling to UK landlines total cost about $125

A couple of friends have dish or direct tv and i'm not that impresseed and the TV service I get from comcast is pretty good, we use on-demand a lot and the HD channels are pretty good.

Cable internet is a lot faster than the dsl offering, the upstream I get is 50% higher than what bellsough can offer and this saves me a lot of time since I work from home.

Bellsouth for phone seems a bit pricey but a couple of collegues have lingo and some friends have vonage and when I talk to them I am never very impressed, and although I could probably deal with it for purely non-commerical use, it would probably not be that acceptable for business, especially as sometimes comcast goes tits up.

Overall on a scale of 1-10 I am probably about 8.5 in terms of service satisfaction.

I am fortunate enough for my company to pay for phone and internet though, which is the lions share of the cost.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
All cable channels, or basic cable?
well I only get basic digital cable, but get all the programmes I want to watch in the other rooms. Haven't systematically sat down to see which channels if any I don't get.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

well I only get basic digital cable, but get all the programmes I want to watch in the other rooms. Haven't systematically sat down to see which channels if any I don't get.
Did you say you have a box for it, or does it go straight into the TV?
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Did you say you have a box for it, or does it go straight into the TV?
I have one box (the dvr type) in the lounge and got cable points installed in all the rooms when I moved in. So don't have a box in those rooms (with the portable). I just went in to try and see what I couldn't get in the portable. And discovered I can't get any channels above 100 (that could be because of my tv). But that only rules out BBC america the 'E' channels and the movie channel.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have one box (the dvr type) in the lounge and got cable points installed in all the rooms when I moved in. So don't have a box in those rooms (with the portable). I just went in to try and see what I couldn't get in the portable. And discovered I can't get any channels above 100 (that could be because of my tv). But that only rules out BBC america the 'E' channels and the movie channel.

Same here...the dvr/tuner is around $5 per month...hardly breaks the bank if you want more than one.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Basic cable $50
cable broadband 7MB $50

Phone bill..normal phone... $20 tops ....
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Same here...the dvr/tuner is around $5 per month...hardly breaks the bank if you want more than one.
My dvr box cost $10 a month you're getting a good deal!