Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Byzantium was to Rome as Washington DC is to London...discuss.

Wikiposts

Byzantium was to Rome as Washington DC is to London...discuss.

Old Dec 4th 2013, 3:26 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Byzantium was to Rome as Washington DC is to London...discuss.

Originally Posted by robin1234
Fortunately failed ignominiously (remember the Battle of Crysler's Farm!)
Just think how different the world could be - a world without Tim Hortons.

Pete

Last edited by MostlyYank; Dec 4th 2013 at 3:30 am.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 3:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
I'll add, growth in synch with prosperity, linked to it, once the growth dies down & systems rigidize you have an expensive structure designed for that growth but without the increasing income to cover it.

Pete
Exactly, there are so many examples, Detroit we have mentioned but I forget the exact numbers but both the Royal Navy and the US Navy now have one admiral per ship or thereabouts.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 4:40 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Detroit has a couple of things going for it - if they can sort out their government problems. Tons of rehab-able commercial/industrial buildings, square miles of land, with the infrastructure in place.

But they're so messed up they've got what should be prime riverfront land that they literally can't give away. Meanwhile new suburban industrial parks are booming around here in Cleveland (where we have many similar problems). Bet the new ind. parks are doing OK in MI too.

Pete
Old Dec 4th 2013, 4:44 am
Account Closed

Would you want to invest in Detroit?
Old Dec 4th 2013, 5:31 am
Mions' a point.

I suspect smart money says yes, particularly now they're going through bankruptcy. I'd look to land near major interstates. 40 square miles of vacant land!

Once a lifetime ago I took my Real Estate test. Appraisal applies a life cycle to neighborhoods.

Pete
Old Dec 4th 2013, 5:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
Appraisal applies a life cycle to neighborhoods.

Pete
Does that mean that 'good' areas will move to 'bad'?

I have never been to Detroit, amusingly we nearly moved there in 1963, my Dad had a job offer.

You see the quotes about half the lights being out of action, but that may be just a question of needing new bulbs or saving on electricity bills.

It would seem reasonable to assume that not a lot has been spent on upgrades in the infrastructure over decades, and that most of the people left are ones with no option to leave.

The Demographics suggest that,
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:53 am
Mions' a point.

Yes, good to bad and back again. You can see it in both suburban flight and inner city neighborhood gentrification.

Agreed, the only folks left can't leave. Infrastructure like highways and stuff while decaying somewhat is still sitting right there, waiting.

I hope it does come around again, beautiful Detroit City.

http://www.selectism.com/2012/04/24/...tography-book/

Pete