Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

buying a villa/apartment in florida

Wikiposts

buying a villa/apartment in florida

Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying a villa/apartment in florida

Originally Posted by johnimac
The word sarci i had to use because people have dreams, when these people talk about them to others they just get put down and it can be a little disappointing.
I've only just 'met' you, but it sounds like this 'dream' thing is your issue.. you raise it in your other thread where you are pursuing an investor's visa out of a book.
I applaud your courage and wish you luck with both things, but you have to remember how unique *you* are and not all investors, real estate or otherwise, are playing with the same resources (financial, emotional, etc) that you are. Becareful about projecting your own issues onto other people.

You can't stand here with a straight face and tell this OP that it's a wise $$ move to buy a 'villa' (we just call them 'houses' by the way) with a plan to make it a break even or earning vacation rental. In Florida no less.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 7:51 pm
Banned

bigfloridadaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

seems to me the hard core members on this forum don't respect other peoples opinions. They don't like it when you don't agree with them. if it's something you want to do, go ahead and do it. You have the entire internet at your disposal, not just this forum which seems to be composed of mostly minutemen!
PS - the word sarcastic came to my mind as well....
Old Nov 17th 2010, 2:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigfloridadaddy
seems to me the hard core members on this forum don't respect other peoples opinions. They don't like it when you don't agree with them. if it's something you want to do, go ahead and do it. You have the entire internet at your disposal, not just this forum which seems to be composed of mostly minutemen!
OP asked about buying a villa in Florida as a business opportunity.

If you know something that nobody else does about making that happen, I am sure the OP and many many other people would be fascinated to hear.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want an opinion don't ask.

Some of us live in Florida and to say to someone "It's OK, you can get a mortgage, buy a place and rent it out as a business" is just plain stupid; in fact I'd have that on my conscience for the rest of my life!

We're just warning people. There's a lot of hidden fees/expenses that you might not expect, and there's too many people willing to take your money and run.

Obviously, if you have the money to buy somewhere and maintain it without rental income that's a different matter.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:21 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

What an excellent first post. Join just for this little vent, did you, or do you have something to contribute?
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:56 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
..... to buy a 'villa' (we just call them 'houses' by the way) with a plan ..............
A villa is just a house???
I'd been imagining a major compound with hypocaust, slave quarters & a mosaic floor. And a storeroom stocked with Falernian wine amphorae ..
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'd been imagining a major compound with hypocaust, slave quarters & a mosaic floor. And a storeroom stocked with Falernian wine amphorae ..
Yeah but villa sounds so posh and grand.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 9:06 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Made me look!
Sounds yummy, but unnecessary for Florida?
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:52 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Made me look!
Sounds yummy, but unnecessary for Florida?
The Falernian, or the hypocaust?
[Oh sorry -- just noticed your bolding in the quote!!]
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:48 am

The Falernian, or the hypocaust?
[Oh sorry -- just noticed your bolding in the quote!!]
Well, the warm floor. But the wine sounds good too!
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:59 pm
Banned

bigfloridadaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
What an excellent first post. Join just for this little vent, did you, or do you have something to contribute?
Thanks for your compliment - but I already made my contribution, which states go ahead and do it. Screw the market, it always picks up as long as you can hold on for atleast 3-5 years. Plus if it's a vacation home it pays for itself in the long term. Both of mine are full year round. I'm in final talks for a third but looks like we won't close till next year.
R
Old Nov 21st 2010, 11:33 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your compliment - but I already made my contribution, which states go ahead and do it. Screw the market, it always picks up as long as you can hold on for atleast 3-5 years. Plus if it's a vacation home it pays for itself in the long term. Both of mine are full year round. I'm in final talks for a third but looks like we won't close till next year.
R
Wow - good for you!

As you've been so successful in this, is there any insight you can share about why it's gone tits up for so many others?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 1:09 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
As you've been so successful in this, is there any insight you can share about why it's gone tits up for so many others?
... don't you know that a magician never reveals their secrets??

I can't tell, does this count as a sarci post?.... I need to berate you first. I think I'm being a realist when I say all this. Never thought that posting on BE would be so complicated.... I need to practice more.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 3:00 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
... don't you know that a magician never reveals their secrets??

I can't tell, does this count as a sarci post?.... I need to berate you first. I think I'm being a realist when I say all this. Never thought that posting on BE would be so complicated.... I need to practice more.
I think if you just call everyone a twat then you're on safe ground.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

... if it's a vacation home it pays for itself in the long term.
May be true for your properties - absolutely not true in the general case.

There are lots of ways of investing and making money - not all of them work all of the time for everybody. The fact that the OP felt the need to ask their question on an internet message board usually indicates that this particular venture is not one for which they are well suited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.