Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a used car, might as well buy new?

Buying a used car, might as well buy new?

Old Aug 8th 2016, 5:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car, might as well buy new?

Originally Posted by dj6372
If you are not bothered about the model, wait until the '2017' model of a car is coming out and buy the 2016 version, dealers will be offloading these at some crazy prices. .....
As recently as a couple of weeks ago an NC dealer was advertising killer deals on 2015 Chevy Impalas - IIRC the deal was $19 down and no payments for 90 days.

I don't know how many of them that dealer had taken, but 12 months after the 2016s were launched, the dealer must have taken a boatload of them.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Unless you pay cash, you can't insure a car for liability only, you MUST have comprehensive!

...and it's not nebulous. I was told by a broker for several insurance companies that insurance is lower for new vs. used. Also, leasing carries a higher premium too.
I've paid cash for cars, both used and new, for the past 20 years at least; but that shouldn't be a factor ... obviously, it's not logical to compare the 'costs' if the coverages are not comparable.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to why a new car would be cheaper to insure? Insurance companies are highly logical/analytical, so they must have a good statistical basis for their decision. I can imagine that new cars have better safety features, but that doesn't explain why they'd charge more for the same car 2 years later. I suppose with a new car they can 'guarantee' everything is well-maintained, etc.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
perhaps it was more, probably around 200k.
It was the general condition of the cars that bothered me. dents, chipped paint, scratches, interiors that looked like a teenagers bedroom 'floordrobe'.
and of course when there is a serious issue but still expect a lot of money.

when the car looks like that externally you tend to become sceptical that the owner diligently cared and serviced the engine. unless of course they have the service papers!
The outward appearance is a good indicator of how a car has been treated mechanically. My last car, 1998 Accord V6 was well maintained regularly sericed, and I kept it for 16 years. I gave it to my grandson and he still has it as a daily driver with over 200,000 miles.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I've paid cash for cars, both used and new, for the past 20 years at least; but that shouldn't be a factor ... obviously, it's not logical to compare the 'costs' if the coverages are not comparable.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to why a new car would be cheaper to insure? Insurance companies are highly logical/analytical, so they must have a good statistical basis for their decision. I can imagine that new cars have better safety features, but that doesn't explain why they'd charge more for the same car 2 years later. I suppose with a new car they can 'guarantee' everything is well-maintained, etc.
Hasn't been my experience, I paid significantly less for my older car than I'm paying for my new car.
Plus it's not probably not worth getting comprehensive coverage for an older car. So you can save money there.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
I know that used car prices in the US are crazy compared to the UK but would like a bit of advice. At present while I get settled I bought a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe, it needed a little bit of work but as I'm able to do it all myself it wasn't a big deal, I plan to keep it a few years as my beater car.

Anyway, once we get jobs and settled, I want to get my wife a new or nearly new car. In the UK you can usually get a year or two old car with under 20,000 miles for a considerable discount compared to new. From my initial research here that doesn't seem to be the case. I am looking at a Ford Fusion or Escape and anything 2014/15 or even 16 has at best more than 25,000 miles on the clock for not much less than new models! I know that average mileage here is more than the UK but a lot of the cars must be ex lease or company cars because most are in the 30-40,000 mile range (for 2015 models). For example in the city I'm in a 2014 Escape is for sale for nearly $21k, and a dealership in the next town is selling 2017 Escapes for $26k new. To my mind, for a $5k difference I'd rather buy new, especially as I plan on keeping the car for 10 years.

So, have most of you bought used (2 yrs old max) or new?
Check the Kelly Blue Book, see what you could expect to get if you were selling a particular model. That's an estimate of what the dealer paid, giving you a point to negotiate from, or if you buy from a private individual.

My neighbour recently bought a 2011 supercharged Jag XF for $20,000

Last edited by johnwoo; Aug 9th 2016 at 6:41 am.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 7:15 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

My car bought new is now 6 years old and worth at best 25% of new, yet I pay a little more for insurance.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
The outward appearance is a good indicator of how a car has been treated mechanically.....
Not necessarily. Going to depend on location.

Car can be perfectly sound around here and look like hell because of the dings. No car is in mint shape after parking a couple days in Boston, they all have scuffed bumpers or fenders and the salt plays havoc with the paint in the winter.

Getting a car that's not from New England and has any flood damage is a good start though
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Newer cars tend to be safer and maybe payouts for injuries are less.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:25 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
The outward appearance is a good indicator of how a car has been treated mechanically.

Not always. When I took my Frontier to the dealership to pick up the new truck I was trading it in on, one of the salespeople went nuts on how gorgeous it was and if only it had been there the day before she'd had a customer who wanted one just like it. Indeed, it did look lovely. But what she didn't know was that the underside was like Swiss cheese and ready to dump the driver onto the highway . . .
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Newer cars tend to be safer and maybe payouts for injuries are less.
I think people look after new cars better, and are more cautious. When driving my truck, if I need to pull out into heavy traffic, or merge when the road is losing a lane, if I can't find a large gap fairly quickly, I preferentially look for a BMW or Mercedes to muscle my way in front of.

Bear in mind that modern cars are "safer" because of the crumple zones, so they are much easier to "total" than cars used to be.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 9th 2016 at 11:10 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 10:04 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

In California if you cant keep a car garaged when not in use don't bother buying a new one. The sun. heat and dust will eventually destroy the clear coat even if you wash and wax it. Worse still near the coast the sea air will sooner or later cause rust spots to appear.

Last edited by dc koop; Aug 9th 2016 at 10:12 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Bear in mind that modern cars are "safer" because of the crumple zones, so they are much easier to "total" than cars used to be.
I was thinking more of stability control, forward collison avoidance / active braking, blind spot monitors and active headlamps.

These help with avoiding the collision in the first place.

I agree older cars are totalled before major repairs have to be paid for and people do tend to give way more.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
The biggest discounts seem to come from cars who sell for $50K+ mark when new and they get much better discount at the 3 year mark, but locally I think the reason might be partially due to lemon laws and dealers, where you have different levels of responsibility at the 3/5/7 year mark as well as mileage.
I said an indicator, not a guarantee. Someone that doesn't take care of the appearance of the car, is 'more likely' not to take care of the rest of it.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

glowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond repute

When I bought my new one last year (2016 Explorer Sport, was the first one on the dealer's lot. I would have waited, but didn't want to kill myself in my old car with the breaks all out ), the sales guy also showed me a 2014 Explorer Limited, 40k miles, but with all bells and whistles, it was priced only $5k under the new Sport (x-plan pricing).
My hubby and I decided, since I liked the look of the 2016 better and it was 12 miles, compared to 40k, with full factory warranty, plus lifelong powertrain from the dealer, and only $5k more, to go with the 2016.

And yes, trade in is just a rip off, if you know how expensive used cars in the US are. I asked them for a trade in value for my 2005 Mercury Mariner with 180k miles (mind you, it had one 6 inch diameter dent and one scratch on the front bumper and they didn't know about the break issue): $1000. Thanks, but no thanks, I sold it privately for $3800 even with the break issue (my conscious didn't allow me to not mention that!).
Old Aug 10th 2016, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by glowie
.... And yes, trade in is just a rip off, if you know how expensive used cars in the US are. I asked them for a trade in value for my 2005 Mercury Mariner with 180k miles (mind you, it had one 6 inch diameter dent and one scratch on the front bumper and they didn't know about the break issue): $1000. Thanks, but no thanks, I sold it privately for $3800 even with the break issue (my conscious didn't allow me to not mention that!).
A $1,000 offer is just another way of saying that they don't want it. It'd go straight around the back to await the transporter to take it to auction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.