Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a used car ...

Buying a used car ...

Old Mar 12th 2006, 5:59 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car ...

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Try this for a 2D car, although 3D may get you further.....

Interestingly, the air bags in a 2D motors cut you lengthways ... so a below average height front seat passenger need not part company with their head should the front seat passenger air bag go off.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 6:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crispyuk88
Can't go wrong with a Volkswagen
you seen those new adverts about de-pimping your moto?
Old Mar 12th 2006, 6:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
even the shite ones they make in Mexico - or is that just the Audis that got the bad reputation?
the shite ones made in mexico aren't as good, no..
Old Mar 12th 2006, 6:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by User Name
* Diesel engined VW cars - bad idea to buy in the USofA?
* What is the minimum recommended height for a front seat passenger in a car fitted with a passenger side air-bag?
*Volkswagen Beetle GLS TDi 2D Hatchback - all views welcome.
*Volkswagen Passat GLS TDi 2D Hatchback - is this vehicle on sale in the USA?
Passat, neighbour has one, don't think it's diesel as they are nae on impossible to get in this state, well diesel isn't openly sold except a couple stations across the state, mostly on I-95. Passat is a nice ride though, comfortable, reliable and not bad money, doesn't sink on resale to badly....beetle, couldn't say about diesel, but not best re-sale because they tend to get ragged...and side airbags, would be careful if you have kids up front in childseats as they can get smacked around a bit, especially front airbags...so presuming if you have your mother and she's small/frail, it might not be to much fun sitting up front, couldn't comment about the rear though.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 6:43 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
the shite ones made in mexico aren't as good, no..
I totally agree with that. All of the Jettas and Beetles, and some of the Golfs and GTI's sold in the US are built in Mexico, and I would make a point of avoiding those.

The Passats are built in Germany, and I would think that they would tend to be better (although they aren't always up to snuff, either.) On the whole, VW reliability is a bit of a crap shoot, and I'd be careful.

And I wouldn't particularly want a diesel-engined car in the US -- there is no demand in the resale market, the fuel is relatively expensive and difficult to find, and few mechanics understand how to work on them. It's a fair alternative in Europe, where the fuel is available everywhere, many consumers want them, and the fuel taxes are more favorable, but in the US, I would advise limiting yourself to gas-powered cars unless you are a dieselphile and must have one, despite the many disadvantages.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I have a lot of questions. I have made my mind up to replace my current tank with a lighter but strong/durable manual shift car with better mpg. Some questions on my mind ... any feedback most welcome, and thank you guys for the very useful thoughts and tips passed to me so far in this thread ... my questions seem to have narrowed to:

* Diesel engined VW cars - bad idea to buy in the USofA?
* What is the minimum recommended height for a front seat passenger in a car fitted with a passenger side air-bag?
*Volkswagen Beetle GLS TDi 2D Hatchback - all views welcome.
*Volkswagen Passat GLS TDi 2D Hatchback - is this vehicle on sale in the USA?
*Carmax seem to have a no haggle price sticker - is this for real?

I've been looking closely at Carmax and their offers on VW cars. A 2002 Volkswagen Beetle GLS TDi 2D Hatchback has caught my eye. Comes with a fantastic EPA Mileage rating of 42/49. I want a car that will be easy for a senior with bad arthritis to get into/out of and will give the senior a good ride. "My senior" is just just 5 foot tall (might be slightly less with wear) ... so my only beef with the Beetle is that it seems to come with just 2 doors, I worry (I am a worrywart at times) that should I end up inadvertently in a car wreck (only ever been involved in one car on car crash, a rear ending, and I was just a passenger). But with the crazy way folks drive around here and despite my conservative driving style (plenty of space between me and the vehicle in front (and behind for that matter), it is a distinct possibility. So what about the passenger size air bag ... if I could put the senior on the back seat the passenger side air bag becomes moot. I just wonder about the passenger side air bag going off in the face of a short senior - its supposed to hit the chest of a average height person. Someone of less than average height should be in the rear seat, but with a 2D car, this would be problematic for my senior passenger (mum). So maybe I should keep my eyes peeled for a TDi 2D Hatchback manual shift Jetta. The Passat has caught my eye, and it is a heavy car (good for driving around DC), but it seems to be built around an automatic transmission system. I am pleased though, to see that the VW Beetle is heavier than I thought it would be, so should cope well on snow and G-d forbid, should it ever be involved in a car wreck - I am beginning to talk like I am a G-d forbid true blue true grit G-d dam American, but I still have my British accent! The other worry I have with a diesel engined auto, is that diesel isn't exactly popular over here - probably because many parts of the USA are so stinking cold in winter. Anyone have thoughts on this? Finally, Carmax seem to have a no haggle price sticker - is this for real?
Diesel cars of any kind would be great to buy in the US. Although diesels more expensive to buy at the station, your usually quadrupling your mileage driving a small car diesel.

Contrary to popular belief, VWs are quiet good for space. I have a friend whose 6,2 and 300lbs that got in my old car easily. My old car was a 1997 Mk3 GTI VR6)

Beetles one of the cars that I don't really have much experience with. As the beetle is a GLS I’m going to say it has height adjustable seats like the Mk4 Golf/jettas, that allow the seat to be cranked up/down a fair bit. Sounds more like a sales person question and actually try to see if an airbag would.

Jetta & Golf on the same platform, you might have a better chance getting a GTI in manual. They are built more towards "drivers" and I think you probably have a better chance finding one in manual. GTI's come in the 1.8turbo and Vr6 form. Looks like your drawn more towards mpg. A 1.8t will get better mileage than the 2.0, which is in a lot of the base model golf/jetta/beetles. It also has a lot more horsepower/torque because of the turbo.

even the shite ones they make in Mexico - or is that just the Audis that got the bad reputation?
Not sure about Audi, I’m guessing they probably do to; but all Volkswagens asides a couple individual years, and the special editions like 337, R32, Wolfsburg’s etc that were made in Germany, the rest are all from Mexico.
It’s a small downfall in quality? I’m not sure really, my family owns 2 Volkswagens; neither of them has given us any problems over the years. Reliability of car usually comes down to how well you take care of it, if you don’t take care of it; it’s your fault it breaks. I wouldn’t use the fact that its built in Mexico as a reason not to buy one.

Originally Posted by Bob
you seen those new adverts about de-pimping your moto?
I have indeed, probably the best adverts on TV to be honest.

VWOA MKV GTI Ads

Last edited by Crispyuk88; Mar 12th 2006 at 7:17 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 7:22 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Again, thanks for the info ...

One other question ... this might sound like a daft question, but here goes:

When I did my driving test here in the USA, I did it in an automatic car. Does this mean I have to do another driving test if I want to drive a manual/stick-shift car here in the USA? Will I have to sit another driving test, this time in a stick shift car?

"This" might be a state-specific issue ... I will check with my local DMV to find out. Maybe a quick peek at my driving license will answer my question!

Last edited by User Name; Mar 12th 2006 at 7:41 pm. Reason: Fix sentence construction.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Again, thanks for the info ...

One other question ... this might sound like a daft question, but here goes:

When I did my driving test here in the USA, I did it in an automatic car. Does this mean I have to do another driving test if I want to drive a manual/stick-shift car here in the USA? If I have to do another driving test in a manual gear shift car?

"This" might be a state-specific issue ... I will check with my local DMV to find out. Maybe a quick peek at my driving license will answer my question!

No - thats a UK/European rule - you can drive anything out here!
Old Mar 12th 2006, 7:36 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

... Looks like your drawn more towards mpg. A 1.8t will get better mileage than the 2.0, which is in a lot of the base model golf/jetta/beetles. It also has a lot more horsepower/torque because of the turbo.
Yes, I noticed that the 1.8T Volkswagens seem to get mpg than the 2.0L VW car. But I worry if the car insurance will be steeper on a 1.8T over a 2.0L thus negating the extra mpg with the turbo engined VW. Also, I am not sure if I had the turbo engined version that it would kick in that much as I drive conservatively, in part, to get better mpg and anticipate a lot to avoid unnecessary braking (and hence increased fuel consumption). Also, with all things equal, would someone in a turbo car in a collision with a standard compact car with a standard engine be perceived as the greater risk taker and hence be perceived to be more at fault, all else being equal?

Last edited by User Name; Mar 12th 2006 at 7:47 pm. Reason: breaking changed to "braking"
Old Mar 12th 2006, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I noticed that the 1.8T Volkswagens seem to get mpg than the 2.0L VW car. But I worry if the car insurance will be steeper on a 1.8T over a 2.0L thus negating the extra mpg with the turbo engined VW. Also, I am not sure if I had the turbo engined version that it would kick in that much as I drive conservatively, in part, to get better mpg and anticipate a lot to avoid unnecessary breaking (and hence increased fuel consumption). Also, with all things equal, would someone in a turbo car in a collision with a standard compact car with a standard engine be perceived as the greater risk taker and hence be perceived to be more at fault, all else being equal?

you are thinking UK wise again - it works differently, size of the engine isnt as relevant as you'd think!
Old Mar 12th 2006, 7:45 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

you are thinking UK wise again - it works differently, size of the engine isnt as relevant as you'd think!
It's a hard habit to break! Took me a while to stop walking to the "wrong side" of the car!
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:13 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I noticed that the 1.8T Volkswagens seem to get mpg than the 2.0L VW car.
The 1.8 liter turbo has a fair bit of turbo lag. The newer 2.0 liter turbo (in the new GTI, Jetta GLI, and Audi A3 and A4) is a much nicer motor, with very good fuel economy and no turbo lag when coupled to a manual transmission. And the 2.0T at idle sounds almost like a diesel because of its injection system, so it should soothe any pangs you have for wanting to own an oil burner...

The 1.8 turbo also had some problems with sludging. You have to be careful with turbos -- make sure that they've been run only with synthetic oil, and that oil changes were frequent. (If buying a VW, make sure that the oil also matched to VW's specific oil standard, i.e. VW 502 00.)

Also, it would help to know whether the prior owner took precautions in shutting down the car. Particularly after hard driving, turbos should be idled for a couple of minutes prior to being turned off, to allow the coolant to circulate through the motor, which should help to cool the oil and to prevent coking.

Unfortunately, most turbo owners don't take proper care of their motors. Turbo cars do require extra attention, otherwise you can expect longevity to be problematic, and a broken turbo is a very expensive part to replace.

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Mar 12th 2006 at 8:16 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I have indeed, probably the best adverts on TV to be honest.

VWOA MKV GTI Ads
took me a while to figure who that guy was...then remembered he was the crazy russian bloke in Armageddon and general nutter in most things
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

No - thats a UK/European rule - you can drive anything out here!
canadians have that rule too...and if they can prove test was in a manual, can transfer it for a full UK drivers license, otherwise they get a license for auto only...makes sense...
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

... Also, with all things equal, would someone in a turbo car in a collision with a standard compact car with a standard engine be perceived as the greater risk taker and hence be perceived to be more at fault, all else being equal?
wouldn't make an issue...most saabs come with some form of turbo,and having a light turbo over a heavy turbo really doesn't make any difference...it's down to age/litres/make and model...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.