British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Buying a used car ... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/buying-used-car-360034/)

Bob Mar 31st 2006 9:20 pm

Re: Buying a used car ...

Originally Posted by User Name
... Why should it really matter to them?

they wanna know if they will be able to make money back repossessing it if you go tits up, especially if you default towards the end of the loan, and no point if the motor is getting on a bit..

fatbrit Mar 31st 2006 9:30 pm

It's Not Unusual To Be ... wanting a car loan.
While waiting in "line"/queuing at the bank, as you do, I hopped and skipped over to a loan manager's desk and asked about car loans. Yes, they did car loans, but what year is it and whats the VIN #?. Apparently this bank won't offer loans beyond some cut-off date. Is this usual? Why should it really matter to them?

:confused:
The vehicle is collateral to secure the loan. Seems logical to me that they would want to know something about this. If you don't want to mess about with a secured loan, just ask them for a personal loan or line. But your credit and ratios needs to be good or better to be even offered one, and the rate will almost certainly be higher than any secured loan you might take.

User Name Mar 31st 2006 10:20 pm

Very good points ... I will take them to the bank!

User Name Apr 18th 2006 11:30 pm

I go to my bank and ask about car loan. Bank man says I must give him VIN #. I reply that I will try and get one. I go to carmax site to take another butchers at used VW Beetles and see a "stock number" ... but this is not a VIN .. :confused:

Bob Apr 19th 2006 12:31 am

I go to my bank and ask about car loan. Bank man says I must give him VIN #. I reply that I will try and get one. I go to carmax site to take another butchers at used VW Beetles and see a "stock number" ... but this is not a VIN .. :confused:

That's a pain in the arse ain't it...but I guess the bank wants to know if they'll be able to make any money if they have to flog it...

User Name Apr 19th 2006 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
That's a pain in the arse ain't it...but I guess the bank wants to know if they'll be able to make any money if they have to flog it...

I am puzzled by this "stock number" feature. Why not also give the VIN #? The law should compel on-line sellers of cars to always quote the VIN # of each car. Otherwise there is the opportunity to swap the car the buyer is supposed to be buying with another like car but different VIN #, but with the same (migrated) stock number, but I am not saying this is happening. Also, it seems banks offering car loans want to run a check on the car, but can't with follow on impact on the would be car buyer. It is not hard to provide the VIN number.

Perhaps someone on here with experience of selling used cars might provide more definitive input.

Ray Apr 19th 2006 2:26 pm

I am puzzled by this "stock number" feature. Why not also give the VIN #? .

Because of the scams being done with vin numbers .. especially over ebay ...

Big D Apr 19th 2006 2:30 pm

I am puzzled by this "stock number" feature. Why not also give the VIN #? The law should compel on-line sellers of cars to always quote the VIN # of each car. Otherwise there is the opportunity to swap the car the buyer is supposed to be buying with another like car but different VIN #, but with the same (migrated) stock number, but I am not saying this is happening. Also, it seems banks offering car loans want to run a check on the car, but can't with follow on impact on the would be car buyer. It is not hard to provide the VIN number.

Perhaps someone on here with experience of selling used cars might provide more definitive input.

They want to get you in the door and using their finance - they cant do everything over the net!!! To be fair their inhouse finance is pretty good!

anotherlimey Apr 19th 2006 2:30 pm

They used to give the VIN number on the Carmax website; maybe you could call them for it.

Bob Apr 19th 2006 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Because of the scams being done with vin numbers .. especially over ebay ...

it was an easy way to find them and people would stamp there own and plonk them on bent motors....nice little trick...

User Name Apr 19th 2006 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
They want to get you in the door and using their finance - they cant do everything over the net!!! To be fair their inhouse finance is pretty good!

It might be, because of my inexperience of buying used cars in the USA, that I am not looking in the right spot/place on the carmax adverts. I don't want to give a wrong impression based on a possible inadvertent mistake on my part. Perhaps someone else more familiar than me with buying cars online (and perhaps via carmax) could take a butchers at their site and see if the VIN number is in fact "there". :confused: It is a problem, I picked a VW beetle and then get stumped as soon as I go to the bank.

User Name Apr 19th 2006 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Big D

I guess I will have to pluck up courage and visit a few car sales places to note down VIN numbers - feels like being a kid again collecting train numbers!

anotherlimey Apr 19th 2006 2:53 pm

It might be, because of my inexperience of buying used cars in the USA, that I am not looking in the right spot/place on the carmax adverts. I don't want to give a wrong impression based on a possible inadvertent mistake on my part. Perhaps someone else more familiar than me with buying cars online (and perhaps via carmax) could take a butchers at their site and see if the VIN number is in fact "there". :confused: It is a problem, I picked a VW beetle and then get stumped as soon as I go to the bank.

I can't see the VIN number there, but it did used to be.

Go to CarMax or call them and ask for the VIN number.

Longy Apr 19th 2006 2:58 pm

Normally they have a Vehicle History Report on their website - when you select that it gives you the VIN

User Name Apr 19th 2006 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Longy
Normally they have a Vehicle History Report on their website - when you select that it gives you the VIN

Is that free or costs each time you so select?