British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Buying a used car ... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/buying-used-car-360034/)

TRPardoe Mar 15th 2006 11:15 am

Re: Buying a used car ...

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
In day-to-day driving, I can't see the fuel economy being much of a benefit. I would think that long-term durability of the diesel might be a plus, but not many Americans want to keep a car for 250k miles (and I would expect to see electrical and accessory problems, anyway.)

I didn't realize that they had rechristened the Bora as a Jetta. I would have thought that selling to English-speakers any car with "bore" as its first syllable was never a good idea, but I digress.

When I have people looking to buy a Superduty 6.0 Diesel truck because of the fuel savings I remind them that it probably takes 100,000 miles to break even.

The saving comes much earlier in a smaller more fuel efficient engine.

Bob Mar 15th 2006 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
You mean LPG? Yeah its still cheap and vauxhall make factory cars that are dual fuel, rather than having to have an after market conversion!

That's the stuff, been so long since I've heard about it though :D

Bob Mar 15th 2006 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
30 cents a gallon does not offset the economy benefits of diesel. Your comments re power are valid but not related to the question of cost!

diesel when you find it around here is around $3 a gallon, unleaded at the mo is $2.32...

User Name Mar 17th 2006 7:13 am

R there any VW models (apart from the Beetle and Jetta) that come with manual? I will even consider a soccer mum VW if it has a good manual transmission system. I like the Passat but it seems to only come with automatic transmission.

On the heavy weight theme, can anyone recommend large heavy cars that come with manual transmission? I've had to reconsider getting the relatively small VW Beetle or Jetta, its the driving style around my neck of the woods, one crazy driving stunt after another - never seen such stunts in the UK. I can't wait to move to within walking distance of work. Just crazy driving, too crazy.

Bob Mar 17th 2006 7:25 am

Originally Posted by User Name
R there any VW models (apart from the Beetle and Jetta) that come with manual? I will even consider a soccer mum VW if it has a good manual transmission system. I like the Passat but it seems to only come with automatic transmission.

On the heavy weight theme, can anyone recommend large heavy cars that come with manual transmission? I've had to reconsider getting the relatively small VW Beetle or Jetta, its the driving style around my neck of the woods, one crazy driving stunt after another - never seen such stunts in the UK. I can't wait to move to within walking distance of work. Just crazy driving, too crazy.

http://www.euroseek.net/usa/autos/vo...ssat_wagon.htm Passat estate car comes with manual...

Mazda's usually have a few manuals, and errr...an old bmw 5 series, bit of a tank and manual :D

User Name Mar 17th 2006 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.euroseek.net/usa/autos/vo...ssat_wagon.htm Passat estate car comes with manual...

Mazda's usually have a few manuals, and errr...an old bmw 5 series, bit of a tank and manual :D

Volkswagen Passat Wagon in manual clothes ... I am on it like a honey bee on an open jar of hi-grade "organic" honey.

So the old BMW 5 series are big tanks and come with stick-shift ... I will check them out. I just can't get over the crazy, and I mean crazy, driving around here. Another day, another crazy dangerous stunt.

Bob Mar 17th 2006 7:40 am

Volkswagen Passat Wagon in manual clothes ... I am on it like a honey bee on an open jar of hi-grade "organic" honey.

So the old BMW 5 series are big tanks and come with stick-shift ... I will check them out. I just can't get over the crazy, and I mean crazy, driving around here. Another day, another crazy dangerous stunt.

I just couldn't bring myself to call an estate car a station wagon...something so 70's with wood side panelling about that :D

User Name Mar 17th 2006 8:29 am

Surprisingly, the Passat Wagon/Estate is slightly lighter in weight than the VW Beetle. The Beetle is quite a heavy car, so I sort of like it, just need something a bit bigger ... another 500lbs, preferably another 1,000lbs, the way things are around here, bigger is better. I see nearly dead people every day. Crazy driving by crazy drivers. I rather drive a light weight Citroen 2CV with an engine of just 600cc or less ... but for those crazy, crazy drivers.

BritGuyTN Mar 17th 2006 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Bob
I just couldn't bring myself to call an estate car a station wagon...something so 70's with wood side panelling about that :D

what about the tit i saw yesterday in a new PT cruiser with fake wood and chrome bling wheels?

what a twat

Bob Mar 17th 2006 9:04 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
what about the tit i saw yesterday in a new PT cruiser with fake wood and chrome bling wheels?

what a twat

Least I'm not the only one with those thoughts :D

Crispyuk88 Mar 17th 2006 9:19 am

Pretty much all Volkswagens come with a manual transmission option. I think the only 2 that might not are the Phaeton or the Tourag. And I think the Tourag might come with a manual option, not 100%. Some special editions of VW like the 20th, R32, 337 - all only ever came with 6 speed manuals. Moving away from VW just a smidge :eek: but staying in the VAG family, ever considered maybe the Audi A3 or an A4? They are slightly bigger and more luxurious versions of the golf/gti jetta models and have bigger brothers like the S4, A6, A8, S8. Its a rather big jump in money though. I would stay away from older BMW's they suck to try and find parts for; if you do, they're expensive to buy, and unless you do the work yourself, they will be expensive to fix.

User Name Mar 17th 2006 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Crispyuk88
Pretty much all Volkswagens come with a manual transmission option. I think the only 2 that might not are the Phaeton or the Tourag. And I think the Tourag might come with a manual option, not 100%. Some special editions of VW like the 20th, R32, 337 - all only ever came with 6 speed manuals.

I will take your tip and stay away from older BMWs. In your view, what is the heaviest stick-shift VW that a frail senior could climb into without too much effort? TIA.

Crispyuk88 Mar 17th 2006 10:08 am

I will take your tip and stay away from older BMWs. In your view, what is the heaviest stick-shift VW that a frail senior could climb into without too much effort? TIA.

Passat, the touarags do not come with manual, only triptronic :mad:
Keep in mind, that was the older passat. I can't find any info on vw.com about the new ones coming in manual... although i suspect they do.
Fu**ing Sequential bull**** :rolleyes: :mad:

anotherlimey Mar 17th 2006 10:24 am

The new VW Passat does come with manual transmission. :)

Go to vw.com and build a new 'Value Edition', under 'View standard features' the 6-speed manual transmission is listed.

fatbrit Mar 17th 2006 10:43 am

Subaru Forester -- judging by your proclaimed driving habits, avoid the turbo model.

PLUSES
1/ Manual gearbox available.
2/ Exactly the right height. My dear mother -- with double hip replacement -- finds it ideal. You don't sit either up or down getting into it -- the seat is basically just where your backside is.
3/ 5* on the crash tests.
4/ All-wheel drive -- fine for snow, rain, swerving lanes to avoid collisions, etc.
5/ Handles like a car rather than an SUV.
6/ Reliable as sugar.

MINUSES
1/ Not the best consumption -- though okay in its class.
2/ Bit weird.