Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a mobile home...

Buying a mobile home...

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:01 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Buying a mobile home...

Originally Posted by Bob
not a nice way of getting to know people around here, you got plenty of sound advice all round.
To all and sundry who appear to have left thier sense of humour behind at an inconvenient moment for me.

RE-READ the post I made - it was a humerous dig!!! Why are you getting on your high horse?

If you dish it out you are gonna get it back. (bloody Brits!)
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:03 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by psb182
I just think that is about all the guy can afford......whats wrong with everyone??....I would rather do what he is doing than rent

Thanks psb182. My thoughts exactly.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:04 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Originally Posted by rincewind
Are my bed time antics included in that

Not at all - ..
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
yup, pre-made knocks up's aren't bad, lots of them, better than mobile homes, and probably have more re-sale value...plus there probably the same kind of price....triple wides ain't cheap
If a triple wide is good enough for the GOVERNOR of Arkansawwwww, it should be good enough for anyone
Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suffolk Bumpkin
Not so - we've covered just about every MLS listing there is - ther certainly arent TONS......a few maybe . Depend on what sort of price range you're looking at - we've only seen about 4 manufactured homes on the entire MLS list for NH.
Well there are two major places in spitting distance of where I am, and another 2 places in maine that have huge amounts of mobile homes and pre-fabs...and like I suggested, import a pre-fab direct from canada...
Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

RE-READ the post I made - it was a humerous dig!!! Why are you getting on your high horse?

If you dish it out you are gonna get it back. (bloody Brits!)
Well if you get arsy with everyone that tries to help and leave a bit of insight, your gonna piss a lot of people off, especially being a newbit.....your post didn't come across as a light-hearted dig but a rant....
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
.... And if you need furniture, that's the business I am in!
cool...need a proper bed
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:51 am
Gurning up a storm!

Originally Posted by Bob
Well if you get arsy with everyone that tries to help and leave a bit of insight, your gonna piss a lot of people off, especially being a newbit.....your post didn't come across as a light-hearted dig but a rant....
Then you didnt read what I wrote correctly. Reread it.....
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:53 am
Gurning up a storm!

Where in NH do you plan on moving to? I live in NH and if I can be of any help to you by sending you any info or setting you up with a reputable realtor I'd be happy to help you out. I have a few friends that are in the realty business and they are honest and decent people. let me know if I can be of any help. And if you need furniture, that's the business I am in! Let me know.

Debs

Excellent! I may well take you up on that.......

We're moving to Manchester area hopefully - the wife just got a job there..(phone interview from US to UK would you believe?)

Cheers
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:57 am
Gurning up a storm!

WOW, that is so weird! I live in Concord NH, work in Salem NH and will actually be transferring to the Manchester Store in June! When are you moving here? Where is she going to be working? Now who is the USC and where is the UK Citizen from originally? How cool is this? How old are you two? WOW, SMALL WORLD! You'll have to let us know when you get here and we'll get together. Do you have any other relatives here?

Debs
HEy! That is the coolest!

We're moving to nashua in about 2 weeks now - to live with my wifes mum.(aka the mum inlaw - she's great...) My wife, Heidi is USC and I'm BC (aka:Rod.. )

We'll be looking for a place as soon as we land - up around Manchester. Heidi will be working at the Audobon soc. Conc. -She's 36, me is 35...

Nice...I'll drop you a line via this message board when we get there, and maybe we can all go out and get a snifter and din dins and stuff....

Which store will you be working at in Manchester?
have you been in US very long?
Are you both US citizens or are you going for citizenship? 9I'm inclined to go for that myself)

Cheers!
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
I guess if you mean "Manufactured housing" on a slab and it's own land, it's not a mobile home. There actually are some very nice stick built (2x4 framing, just like standard homes) homes- up to 2 story 4 BR models w/ garage etc now. They are not all the wheeled trailer homes of old.
Modular/ manufactured houses are built "down to the code" - i.e. the lightest legitimate construction, whereas most stick-built homes exceed the code minimum for timber size, and use shorter (stronger) spans in floor and roof joists, and are much more robust.

We were told by realtors, independently in New York and North Carolina, that modular/ manufactured houses look tired after a few years, they "sag" because the timber is smaller and/or longer spans are used.

BTW new houses are now commonly built with 2x6 timbers, and it is a requirement for any house that has a ceiling height greater than 8ft.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We were told by realtors, independently in New York and North Carolina, that modular/ manufactured houses look tired after a few years, they "sag" because the timber is smaller and/or longer spans are used.
That's very true, especially in the cold of winter with all that snow on the roof, after 5 years, you'll have to replace a lot of the roof, and also ceilings do bow out quite a bit, happens pretty easily especially as there is such temp changed from summer to winter.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:09 am
Gurning up a storm!

Wink Re: Buying a mobile home...

Hi All -

The wife and I are off to the USA in 3 weeks to buy a home.

We've been looking at mobile homes in NH and ME, and have been preapproved for a mortgage.. But I was hoping to get some of others experiences.

We're looking at mobiles on their own land - my wifes credit rating is super dooper good. But we've been told by one lender that they wont do a No-Doc mortgage on a mobile unless its on a slab, double wide, and built after 1976.

(Oh - we will also have to stand on one leg and fart the tune to 'God Bless America' before the mortgage is finalised. )

AAaanyways - I know different conditions may exist within different states - but I also know different lenders dance to thier own tune at times. So any insights would be handy -

Thank you ladies and gentlemen!

OOaaaaaarrrrrrr!...Now where's that chicken gone?

Well - thanks for everybodies very helpful comments. The wife and I have decided to invest our money into a business idea we were intending to set up a little way down the road. We just thought 'sod it' lets do it immediately - and look to buy a house later. The business idea is selling wargames figures - designing them is my livelihood - I'm V good at it...(ahem)

What really swung it for us was that we just discovered a plant machinery company in RI that sells machinery for a fraction of the cost of the UK!! I flipped when I saw it. We have a nice workshop to work in....and we both feel a WHOLE lot better not having to worry about the buying a house crapola.

Cheers to all.