Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a mobile home...

Buying a mobile home...

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:14 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a mobile home...

Whilst a mobile home maybe a nice idea, it will be worthless after a number of years. If you want some advice, I would look at buying a brick home. Better value in the long run.

We are currently renting a "modular home" which is okay, but I can't wait to get a mortgage and get some bricks around me.

My wife used to live in a double wide in Tx and she said it was badly put together. Holes way to big for pipes so all the nice bugs get in. Some of them don't even join up properly.

It's each to their own I guess. I've seen some mobile homes and they look very nice inside and out. They're built like the Tardis too. Look way bigger on the inside.

I just don't want one as I don't want the thing tipping over when I jump from the book case onto the bed in the throws of passion

Last edited by rincewind; Feb 3rd 2005 at 4:22 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:29 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a good site about manufactured housing:

Manufactured Housing Institute
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 5:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's also plenty of mobile home sites in New England...but a lot of the modular framed homes are imported from canada..so might be worth looking there direct and have them deliver it ...
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Mobile homes are no fun unless you get one in one of the tornado states.
Hey I was just thinking the same thing!!! OMG Lion you're too funny!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

If you're dead set on a house on wheels, why not try a manufactured home? While not on wheels (well after they park it) it might carry a bit more resale value and look a bit nicer. Also, if its price you're worried about, they're pretty reasonable from the adverts I've seen. We're currently looking at houses, our realtor won't even sell mobile homes, probably not manufactured either. The best of luck....but I wouldn't touch a mobile home with a ten foot pole, and even then it would be too close.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:02 am
You Are All Diseased

I wouldn't touch a mobile home with a ten foot pole, and even then it would be too close.
Plus they scare the crap out of you when you over take them on the interstates
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:19 am
I still love a brit :0)

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Plus they scare the crap out of you when you over take them on the interstates

LOL goofball

Anyway OP Here's my advise. If you are seriously looking at a mobile home, it does have it's appeal. They are better made than before and have a much nicer lookthan the previous models. I've been amazed at the amount of room inside some of these. Hubby already busted on me saying I lived in 1 before. I did w/ an X and it was shite. We had 2 friends with different models and sad to say but the one we got was the best. I wish I could remember the name of the company. If I do I will repost here for you. The biggest problems we had was one, we made the mistake of not putting it on a slab, we started to sick a tiny bit at a time for not doing this( no one told us it was put over a pond that was filled in to sell as a lot) and two,sometimes you could feel that the doors were starting to lean. On the other hand, our friends got a cheaper, bigger one where the doors didn't even line up. True crap, that house.
If you are willing to put it on a slab. Take advantage of every situation to make even the minorest (is that a word?) notes about what needs to be fixed, and crawl under to and make sure there are no holes around the pipes for critters to crawl through then you might be ok. Besides even brink homes can have their flaws
Don't let others diss you on here. It is your's and your wife's life and if it's truely what you want then do some research on companies for performance, complaints, and customer service and you should be good to go.

And for those curious, I DID live in tornado alley in TX. in a mobile home and they build them to tolerate the wind gusts. Still scared the shit out of me most of the time, though :scared:
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:27 am
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by IluvAbrit
minorest (is that a word?)
Nope

Hubby already busted on me saying I lived in 1 before.
Sorry mistress. Can I have my spanking now??
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:41 am
I still love a brit :0)

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute

Nope

Sorry mistress. Can I have my spanking now??
Hey smartass what did the 5 fingers say to da face?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

LOL goofball

Anyway OP Here's my advise. If you are seriously looking at a mobile home, it does have it's appeal. They are better made than before and have a much nicer lookthan the previous models. I've been amazed at the amount of room inside some of these. Hubby already busted on me saying I lived in 1 before. I did w/ an X and it was shite. We had 2 friends with different models and sad to say but the one we got was the best. I wish I could remember the name of the company. If I do I will repost here for you. The biggest problems we had was one, we made the mistake of not putting it on a slab, we started to sick a tiny bit at a time for not doing this( no one told us it was put over a pond that was filled in to sell as a lot) and two,sometimes you could feel that the doors were starting to lean. On the other hand, our friends got a cheaper, bigger one where the doors didn't even line up. True crap, that house.
If you are willing to put it on a slab. Take advantage of every situation to make even the minorest (is that a word?) notes about what needs to be fixed, and crawl under to and make sure there are no holes around the pipes for critters to crawl through then you might be ok. Besides even brink homes can have their flaws
Don't let others diss you on here. It is your's and your wife's life and if it's truely what you want then do some research on companies for performance, complaints, and customer service and you should be good to go.

And for those curious, I DID live in tornado alley in TX. in a mobile home and they build them to tolerate the wind gusts. Still scared the shit out of me most of the time, though :scared:
Okay!..... when my husband first got out of the AF and we moved back here to Illinois,we discovered we had diddly for a credit report,so,we decided, as we knew we'd have lots of problems getting a mortgage,to get a mobile home to start with,(his Grandma had one in a very nice mobile home park,hers had a porch built onto it,and a car port,it was just very nice)anyway,we didn't see any that appealed to us in our area,so we found one and had it moved to a mobile home park,it really was very nice,much bigger inside than it looked from the outside,and very warm and cosy in the winter,and comfortable in the summer with a window air conditioner,the nice size bedrooms and good sized bathroom,living room and eat-in kitchen,the mobile home park wasn't fantastic,but it was okay,we planned to stay there for 5 years but after 2 years the interest rates fell a lot and our credit was very good,so we decided it would be a good idea to sell it and buy a house (I didn't drive at the time,and was terrified of tornados!),we were very lucky,we didn't lose money when we sold it,we broke even....if we had to, we'd buy another,although,of course, the house is much better and has doubled in value,since we bought it,but we definately don't regret having bought the mobile home,it was a LOT better than renting,it was definately the right thing to do,for us,at the time......,course,we sold it at the right time as well!.....Sophia
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:16 am
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your thoughts Sophie, I luvabrit and others who took the time to respond in an informed, mature and interesting fashion.

To all those who replied with piss taking nonsense, and behaved in an immature, childish fashion........I have this mature and important thing to say.................

RAAAAAAASSSPPPP!!!!! Kiss my patootie!!!!!

smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast..
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I DID live in tornado alley in TX. in a mobile home and they build them to tolerate the wind gusts. Still scared the shit out of me most of the time, though :scared:
So did I, years ago and only for about 3 months....that was enough for me. Combination of living in Texas and a mobile home....that scared the shit out of me! :scared:
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:25 am
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by Suffolk Bumpkin
To all those who replied with piss taking nonsense, and behaved in an immature, childish fashion........
Are my bed time antics included in that
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suffolk Bumpkin
Thanks for your thoughts Sophie, I luvabrit and others who took the time to respond in an informed, mature and interesting fashion.

To all those who replied with piss taking nonsense, and behaved in an immature, childish fashion........I have this mature and important thing to say.................

RAAAAAAASSSPPPP!!!!! Kiss my patootie!!!!!

smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast..
If you look at other threads on BE you will see this one is treated no differently. Some of the comments may seem like they are taking the piss but I can see what they are saying for what it is and they are right. Sometimes economy of words are more succinct.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are my bed time antics included in that
Did I miss something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.