Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying/Leasing Cars in Texas

Buying/Leasing Cars in Texas

Old Sep 15th 2017, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying/Leasing Cars in Texas

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Hummer went out of business as part of the GM collapse and refloat, and was entirely gone by 2010.

And are prepared to buy a vehicle at least seven years old. .... Oh, and shell out big bucks for a "proper" Humvee (which was last produced in 2006) aka the "H1", not the faux-poseur H2's and H3's, which were basic GM vehicles "enhanced" with plastic trim that had no utility. As Doug Demuro said the H2 is "the most embarrassing vehicle you can drive":

https://youtu.be/Uj2e_kqiN-Y
Lets face it if your resorting to driving anything like a Hummer its grounds for penis substitution comments, included are BMW, Audi, Mercedes Porsche etc etc. I mean you only have to look at that Jeremy Clarkson to see what kind of people really drive these vehicles.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 9:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
.... you only have to look at that Jeremy Clarkson to see what kind of people really drive these vehicles.
I am not sure what Beemers, Mercs, Audis and Porsches have to do with a GM truck decorated with plastic moldings. ..... But Jeremy Clarkson!
Old Sep 15th 2017, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Lets face it if your resorting to driving anything like a Hummer its grounds for penis substitution comments, included are BMW, Audi, Mercedes Porsche etc etc. I mean you only have to look at that Jeremy Clarkson to see what kind of people really drive these vehicles.
I would include many trucks in that category. Hence the invention of "truck nuts". Not many other vehicles have penis accessories available. Also anything that has a gas guzzler tax , probably falls into the same category.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 9:29 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

OP, I'm sure you are aware by now that your lack of credit history will come into play here. So yes, get quotes from all the places mentioned already.

You could also try credit unions for a loan but the interest rates may be a bit high. Don't go near Wells Fargo for this - even my lovely manager says the rates are horrible and people should go elsewhere. Advancial has been mentioned before.

Also, please be aware that you will be charged 6% sales tax on top of any quoted prices, even on used cars. That one caught me out....
Old Sep 16th 2017, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Hummer went out of business as part of the GM collapse and refloat, and was entirely gone by 2010.

And are prepared to buy a vehicle at least seven years old. .... Oh, and shell out big bucks for a "proper" Humvee (which was last produced in 2006) aka the "H1", not the faux-poseur H2's and H3's, which were basic GM vehicles "enhanced" with plastic trim that had no utility. As Doug Demuro said the H2 is "the most embarrassing vehicle you can drive":

https://youtu.be/Uj2e_kqiN-Y

I am in no way endorsing them but I read that the H2 was surprisingly durable with a high percentage still on the road.
If you want to go seriously hard core the are dozens of Humvees being auctioned.
I thought of getting one and sticking " Farm Use " plates on it but several people who drive them daily told me not to.