British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   buying an iPhone in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/buying-iphone-us-758061/)

sawdustanddiamonds May 12th 2012 9:04 pm

buying an iPhone in the US
 
Hello!

I am new and this is my first post! As far as I am aware no one has posted about iPhones specifically in the U.S so I'm just going to go ahead and post.

I am moving to the U.S in August from London to study. While living in London over the past 4 years I have relied on having an iPhone and I would really like to continue using an iPhone when I move. My phone is pretty old now and I would like to purchase a new one as soon as I arrive, does anyone know of any networks to go with ? I have so far only come across AT&T and their cheapest 'package' is $199 + $79.99 per month which seems absurd! - I am currently paying £20 a month here in the UK for unlimited texts/500 minutes etc.

If anyone has any information to share I would really appreciate it :)

Weeze May 12th 2012 9:17 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 
Phone contracts are very expensive in the US so that's the price you'll pay for an iPhone contract. Also, there's no guarantee you'll get a contract that easily as you'll have no credit history. I stuck to virgin mobile until I'd built up a credit history. That's $35/month but you can't get an iPhone with them.
Sprint, AT&T and Verizon are the only network options if you have your heart set on an iPhone.

Kar98 May 12th 2012 9:22 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 
Get your iPhone unlocked and go with one of the prepaid packages offered by T-Mobile?

jxsteinberg May 12th 2012 9:26 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 

Originally Posted by Kar98 (Post 10056861)
Get your iPhone unlocked and go with one of the prepaid packages offered by T-Mobile?

This is a good/cheap option however the only drawback is that on T-Mobile you can't get 3G on the iPhone so data speeds are super slow.

I had the same dilemma when I arrived (no credit etc) I ended up going with Sprint and had to pay a $250 deposit that you get credited back after 12mths. ATT and Verizon it was $500 and didn't get the money back until later in the contract.

As has already been stated phone contracts here are very expensive unfortunately

Kar98 May 12th 2012 9:33 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 

Originally Posted by jxsteinberg (Post 10056864)
This is a good/cheap option however the only drawback is that on T-Mobile you can't get 3G on the iPhone so data speeds are super slow.

This is true. But I've got fast internet at home and at work and at every Dunkin Donuts and McDonald's and every hotel I've ever stayed in, so slow internet speeds on the phone aren't that much of an issue for me. Might be different for other people ;)

All I want is a decent phone ;)

sawdustanddiamonds May 12th 2012 9:42 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 
Thanks everyone for your replies. I had no idea about the credit system in the US. I am so used to my iPhone but all I really need is unlimited texts and around 300 minutes but I would really need 3G, wifi as I use google maps and check emails on the go a lot.
Would it be worth buying a phone in the UK first, getting it unlocked and only Then finding a network when I arrive? (I am in need of an upgrade anyway)

Kar98 May 12th 2012 9:47 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 
The "all I really need is..." is where just about every US provider rams a barbwired flag pole up your ass without as much as muttering a "pardon me, sir".

Bob May 12th 2012 9:56 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 

Originally Posted by sawdustanddiamonds (Post 10056850)
As far as I am aware no one has posted about iPhones specifically in the U.S...

If you search you'll find loads, but welcome to BE!

You'll also find phone rates and packages are a bit poo and there aren't many options, added to the fact that you have no US credit history.

There are plenty of posts about jailbreaking and going the PAYG route though, presuming you get your phone out of contract.

Bob May 12th 2012 9:59 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 

Originally Posted by sawdustanddiamonds (Post 10056882)
Would it be worth buying a phone in the UK first, getting it unlocked and only Then finding a network when I arrive? (I am in need of an upgrade anyway)

No.

Best bet is a Android phone, more PAYG options too.

Kar98 May 12th 2012 10:00 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10056889)
No.

Best bet is a Android phone, more PAYG options too.

Yup. Higher speeds, better rates than limiting yourself to an iPhone.

rpjs May 12th 2012 11:23 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 
I understand T-Mobile US are upgrading their network and should be offering widespread 3G support for the iPhone by the end of the year. They'll also start selling iPhones so hopefully AT&T will be forced to reduce their rates.

There's also this http://www.slashgear.com/freedompop-...rder-11227787/ which is a forthcoming iPhone case that has a built in data connection to Sprint's Wimax network - it's supposed to be a one-time payment of $99 then 500MB of data per month free (which is enough for basic data usage if not video or VOIP)

Kar98 May 12th 2012 11:42 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 10056954)
I understand T-Mobile US are upgrading their network

Yes.


They'll also start selling iPhones
Nah.

cluedweasel May 13th 2012 12:05 am

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 10056954)
I understand T-Mobile US are upgrading their network and should be offering widespread 3G support for the iPhone by the end of the year. They'll also start selling iPhones so hopefully AT&T will be forced to reduce their rates.

That worked so well when Verizon started selling the iPhone :ohmy:

helpmeplease123 May 13th 2012 12:06 am

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 

Originally Posted by sawdustanddiamonds (Post 10056882)
Thanks everyone for your replies. I had no idea about the credit system in the US. I am so used to my iPhone but all I really need is unlimited texts and around 300 minutes but I would really need 3G, wifi as I use google maps and check emails on the go a lot.
Would it be worth buying a phone in the UK first, getting it unlocked and only Then finding a network when I arrive? (I am in need of an upgrade anyway)

Not an IPhone.. the ones in the US are sim card-less, so with a foreign IPhone you wouldn't be able to get a US IPhone package sim on its own...although I suppose you could just get a plan that includes internet but for an android. I don't think there are m(any) plans with unlimited internet as of recently either, as a lot of people were using it for tethering. I think it's gone on Verizon at least.

Kar98 May 13th 2012 12:09 am

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123 (Post 10057013)
Not an IPhone.. the ones in the US are sim card-less.

Bollocks. :thumbdown:


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:55 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.