British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   buying an iPhone in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/buying-iphone-us-758061/)

civilservant May 13th 2012 7:56 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 
I was with OG wheb she got her phone, and indeed can confirm that her CDMA iPhone with Verizon has no SIM card slot. I know because I asked where it was before I knew that Verizon was CDMA, and I own an iPhone with a slot myself.

Giantaxe May 13th 2012 8:39 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10058149)
I was with OG wheb she got her phone, and indeed can confirm that her CDMA iPhone with Verizon has no SIM card slot. I know because I asked where it was before I knew that Verizon was CDMA, and I own an iPhone with a slot myself.

The iPhone 4s was the first CDMA Verizon iPhone also to have a SIM card slot. Earlier versions from Verizon didn't have a slot. This is why I didn't get an iPhone until the 4s. As already pointed out Verizon will unlock the phone after 60 days and you can then use any non-US SIM card either in the US (probably pointless) and anywhere else.

civilservant May 13th 2012 8:41 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 
Ah, there we go then. She purchased an iPhone 4.

cluedweasel May 14th 2012 4:11 am

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 
Aha! What do I know? Not much it seems.

captainsensible May 14th 2012 11:33 am

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 
I bought a T-Mobile PAYG sim card for use in my Android phone. $2 a day on the days you use it, for unlimited calls & texts & data, so even if you use it everyday thats 'only' around $60 a month, which is a lot cheaper than a contract, especially Verizon who are thieving shites in my opinion. When my USC wife got her new phone, to get a data package she has to pay an extra $30 a month for a minimum of 2Gb, which is frankly ludicrous (e.g. I never use more than about 300mb a month and neither does she).

Giantaxe May 14th 2012 3:28 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 

Originally Posted by captainsensible (Post 10059115)
I bought a T-Mobile PAYG sim card for use in my Android phone. $2 a day on the days you use it, for unlimited calls & texts & data, so even if you use it everyday thats 'only' around $60 a month, which is a lot cheaper than a contract, especially Verizon who are thieving shites in my opinion. When my USC wife got her new phone, to get a data package she has to pay an extra $30 a month for a minimum of 2Gb, which is frankly ludicrous (e.g. I never use more than about 300mb a month and neither does she).

I agree that Verizon are thieving shites. There are a couple of other potential options though - they have a $20 plan with, I think, 400Mb a month. And if you have access to a corporate program, you can get a much better deal. For example, I'm paying $20 for unlimited data.

captainsensible May 14th 2012 3:50 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 
Unfortunately, they make you take the 'minimum' 2gb data package if you get a smartphone. Would be interested to know if they let you downgrade though.

Giantaxe May 14th 2012 3:51 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 

Originally Posted by captainsensible (Post 10059572)
Unfortunately, they make you take the 'minimum' 2gb data package if you get a smartphone. Would be interested to know if they let you downgrade though.

Do they? I know I was offered the $20 plan for 400Mb, but I can't remember when it was when I actually bought the 'phone.

captainsensible May 14th 2012 3:59 pm

Re: buying an iPhone in the US
 

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 10059575)
Do they? I know I was offered the $20 plan for 400Mb, but I can't remember when it was when I actually bought the 'phone.

It was late last year that she bought the phone, so certainly since then.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:16 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.