Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a house in LA area

Wikiposts

Buying a house in LA area

Old Oct 10th 2012, 3:03 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a house in LA area

Originally Posted by md95065
Exactly.

What the OP wants to do - buy a vacation home in the US - is not in and of itself a completely unreasonable thing to do provided that they fully understand the costs and the risks involved in doing so.

The problem, however, is that this is one of those things where, if you have to ask questions about how to do it on an internet forum then you almost certainly should not be doing it ...
That's not entirely fair. If you are simply starting out with the idea, a google search will likely bring you here, if the exact answer did not come up. The fact that other considerations like visas then get brought up is part of the learning/research curve. My take is, if you can google this far, you can read the previous questions and answers without having to re-ask. Some people might just want to chat about the possibilities. I would be interested to hear the stories of the OP's friends who have apparently done this. They never seem to be on this forum

Last edited by RICH; Oct 10th 2012 at 3:05 pm. Reason: spilleng.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
That's not entirely fair. If you are simply starting out with the idea, a google search will likely bring you here, if the exact answer did not come up. The fact that other considerations like visas then get brought up is part of the learning/research curve. My take is, if you can google this far, you can read the previous questions and answers without having to re-ask. Some people might just want to chat about the possibilities. I would be interested to hear the stories of the OP's friends who have apparently done this. They never seem to be on this forum
It may not be "fair" but I think that my observation is true far more often than not.

Actually I wasn't even considering the issue of visas - my point was much more aimed at the level of experience necessary to be the absentee landlord of a property in another country without coming to grief ...
Old Oct 10th 2012, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She asked about buying a Duplex, seemingly with the thought that the rent would give them a return, pay expenses and free accommodation for their visits.

I doubt that would cash flow never mind all the other issues.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 12:09 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Doubtless a bit of snob value but it is a fab area.

This one is so cute, as seen on Foyle's War:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-35459341.html
Nice house, pretty garden too. Is that the place that was an Italian restaurant in Foyles War? I've looked seriously at Hastings and St. Leonards but not the Old Town specifically. My grandparents lived in Bexhill and thought Hastings was very infra dig, so that's a point in its favour..
Old Oct 11th 2012, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Nice house, pretty garden too. Is that the place that was an Italian restaurant in Foyles War? I've looked seriously at Hastings and St. Leonards but not the Old Town specifically. My grandparents lived in Bexhill and thought Hastings was very infra dig, so that's a point in its favour..
I don't know exactly how it was featured. Hastings has definitely grown on me recently, it has undergone quite a few improvements but still has that nice old town part, a definite candidate for retirement if we can't quite stretch to the Royal Crescent
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
This would be my dream home here in Louisville. It's in a fantastic area that has a nice European feel, and no cookie cutter homes. Although lot size could be a little bigger.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4_M30671-38804

Edit: Oh, just ignore me, I'm taking this thread way off topic.
Ooo that's nice!