Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a House...

Wikiposts

Buying a House...

Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a House...

Originally Posted by TruBrit
so you just have the same shed type roof covering then? i'd have thought coz of the weather conditions tile would be more appropriate
There are tiles and or shingles...but it's to do with the weight of the snow, it causes the wood frame to sag over the years and then need replacing...not like Austria where they use the snow as insulation...have to go and sweep the roof clean when there is a lot of snow around here *l*
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:10 am
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

so you just have the same shed type roof covering then? i'd have thought coz of the weather conditions tile would be more appropriate

The only area of the country that uses tile as the prefered roof is the desert Southwest. Asphalt shingles can't take the heat and intense sun out there. Elsewhere they do quite well (and of course are a fraction the cost of tile).
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:20 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
The only area of the country that uses tile as the prefered roof is the desert Southwest. Asphalt shingles can't take the heat and intense sun out there. Elsewhere they do quite well (and of course are a fraction the cost of tile).
oh ok tks...i used to laugh before we moved here when i was looking at houses on har.com i'd see 15yrs old homes that would boast a new roof and i'd think wtf...hehe you're right, a fraction of the cost and which makes them almost as cheap as chips
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:30 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

At least any house over two years old now in Florida and that still is house shaped you can safely assume is hurricane proof
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:35 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
At least any house over two years old now in Florida and that still is house shaped you can safely assume is hurricane proof

silly thing rumour has it this season is due to be a bad one....not much we can do about it except hunker down
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:37 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Just you wait!

Our little castle is 7 years old and the f'ing roof is leaking like a sieve

So even if you buy new - where will you be in a few years from now?
Is it a shingle roof, it should be good for at least 10 years and then you re-shingle straight over the top ( Lucky heather, get your lucky heather here )
Old Feb 27th 2006, 12:01 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

oh ok tks...i used to laugh before we moved here when i was looking at houses on har.com i'd see 15yrs old homes that would boast a new roof and i'd think wtf...hehe you're right, a fraction of the cost and which makes them almost as cheap as chips
well, maybe we should give them a break. Shingles are 1/4 the cost of tile, and they last 1/3 to 1/2 the time. So, over the life of a house they are better value. I reshingled my Texas house for $6000 with the highest quality shingles I could get, which isn't a lot for a 3600 sq ft house for a roof that should last at least 20 years, and maybe 30. 15 years ago I was quoted 15000 quid to replace a tiled roof on a small Victorian semi in the UK.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 12:06 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

15 years ago I was quoted 15000 quid to replace a tiled roof on a small Victorian semi in the UK.

I think they were taking the mick

we paid 3000 to re-roof our Victorian pile about 17 years ago - and that was in London...
Old Feb 27th 2006, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

well, maybe we should give them a break. Shingles are 1/4 the cost of tile, and they last 1/3 to 1/2 the time. So, over the life of a house they are better value. I reshingled my Texas house for $6000 with the highest quality shingles I could get, which isn't a lot for a 3600 sq ft house for a roof that should last at least 20 years, and maybe 30. 15 years ago I was quoted 15000 quid to replace a tiled roof on a small Victorian semi in the UK.
And shingles dont turn into high speed death missiles during hurricanes.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:45 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Just you wait!

Our little castle is 7 years old and the f'ing roof is leaking like a sieve

So even if you buy new - where will you be in a few years from now?
Go on - ruin my sodding romantic ideal.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:04 am
Account Closed

silly thing rumour has it this season is due to be a bad one....not much we can do about it except hunker down
Looking forward to it....from my new vantage point away from the worst storms
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

we've just spent $300,000 on a house that was built in 1974. The house has totally new plumbing, roof and air con though, plus the missus works for a custom home builder, so we already have a load of brand new electrical goods for the kitchen, that they just took out of a fancy pants remodel. It's saving us a few thousand dollars updating the kitchen.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:16 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Is it a shingle roof, it should be good for at least 10 years and then you re-shingle straight over the top ( Lucky heather, get your lucky heather here )
Actually this is generally a bad idea, much in the same way that tile is bad in the north-east. midwest because of weight on the wood frame, several layers of shingle are also bad.

I would now go for more than two layers inc the top layer, it can cause frame integrity issues.

My house is 94 years old and still seems to be fine

Older houses are certainly not for eveyone though as more things seem to go wrong (although ours has been fine)

I like having big open rooms and 12 foot ceilings - great for minimising A/C bills

Also, although I was in a strop a couple of months ago about the heating bills, since i had some insulation installed in the basement at a cost of $500, my 'leccy bill has halved!

I'm not a fan of living in a house that looks basically the same as everyone else in the subdivision, and i donlt have the personality to deal with HOA's, so our house has worked out pretty ok
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

We're moving to a HOA free zone. Thats one of the pluses of moving to an older neighborhood. I'm sick of the nazi's that run our current HOA.