Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a House...

Buying a House...

Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:41 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a House...

Originally Posted by Lostman
My wife and I are looking to buy a house. We are wanting a new house and have found one we like, well it is just a floor and pipes at the moment. Anyway just wondering whether you believe it better to buy a brand new home or an older home say 6 years old. I know there are advantages and disadvantages to both but which way would you go. I guess older homes = more sq foot for less cash than a new home, but new home = warranty and piece of mind, not to mention choice to make it our own. Any thing else to consider...

Thanks!
We just had a house built, and moved in a couple weeks ago - we love it! As long as the builder has a good after-sales program to allow for things that need fixing (guaranteed things will need fixing!), then im all for them.

They are built of cardboard and plastic, but after 2 good dousings with rain, it hasnt collapsed yet!
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:56 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
wow 40 yrs old...that's a good age for a house here
We just bought one that is almost 100 years old (and we're only the third owners - last owner was there since 1950). I needed to be near a high street with shops and restaurants, and walking distance to NYC train, and you don't usually get new builds in areas like that so new wasn't really an option. There's work to be done on it, but really you can't fault the house - it's in great shape and the location is perfect.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:58 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Location location location...
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:59 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
They are built of cardboard and plastic, but after 2 good dousings with rain, it hasnt collapsed yet!

Just you wait!

Our little castle is 7 years old and the f'ing roof is leaking like a sieve

So even if you buy new - where will you be in a few years from now?
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neil
We just bought one that is almost 100 years old (and we're only the third owners - last owner was there since 1950). I needed to be near a high street with shops and restaurants, and walking distance to NYC train, and you don't usually get new builds in areas like that so new wasn't really an option. There's work to be done on it, but really you can't fault the house - it's in great shape and the location is perfect.

wow that's good to hear....i'm just curious is it a timber frame and what type of roof?
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:06 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

wow that's good to hear....i'm just curious is it a timber frame and what type of roof?
Timber frame - slate roof.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

Timber frame - slate roof.
hmm good for you...in the uk i much prefer the older house built with character...however here not seen anything with character so go for newish....
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:21 pm
Not here much

hmm good for you...in the uk i much prefer the older house built with character...however here not seen anything with character so go for newish....
It's probably down to the area more than anything. NJ is an older state - East coast probably got built up quite a bit earlier than further west.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Just you wait!

Our little castle is 7 years old and the f'ing roof is leaking like a sieve

So even if you buy new - where will you be in a few years from now?
Lot of houses have to have the roof and ceilings replaced every 10-20 years because they fall apart...
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:33 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Bob
Lot of houses have to have the roof and ceilings replaced every 10-20 years because they fall apart...

But we live in bleeding California! Rains about a dozen times a year...
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob

ohhh stop it that's so funny, true i know but sounds so funny
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

It's probably down to the area more than anything. NJ is an older state - East coast probably got built up quite a bit earlier than further west.

yes i'm sure you're right
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
But we live in bleeding California! Rains about a dozen times a year...
Oh well...least it don't rain that often, get a few buckets and you'll be all set
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

ohhh stop it that's so funny, true i know but sounds so funny
putting up a new ceiling wasn't to fun...but yeah, weird really, especially around here, the snow just knackers the roofing right up...
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
putting up a new ceiling wasn't to fun...but yeah, weird really, especially around here, the snow just knackers the roofing right up...
so you just have the same shed type roof covering then? i'd have thought coz of the weather conditions tile would be more appropriate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.