Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

buying a car out here

buying a car out here

Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:16 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute
Default buying a car out here

I'm in need of a car for a year, I've been round the dealer's but they don't seem to have prices on cars and the sales person seems to pull a figure out of thin air, one even dropped the price buy a few thousand after talking to him for a bit which made me wonder what was wrong with the car!

Anyone experience this and got any advice?

Last edited by britontour; Oct 12th 2005 at 3:17 am. Reason: bad english? still not much better
Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:23 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: buying a car out here

Originally Posted by britontour
I'm in need of a car for a year, I've been round the dealer's but they don't seem to have prices on cars and the sales person seems to pull a figure out of thin air, one even dropped the price buy a few thousand after talking to him for a bit which made me wonder what was wrong with the car!

www.carmax.com
Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:26 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: buying car out here

If you're only wanting a car for a year buy private not from a dealer. Why pay more than the private price if your only keeping it for a year.Buy something basic, just a regular bread and butter car so that when the years up you can sell it easily. The more exclusive the car the harder the sell.

Have no idea what price range your looking at but kelly blue book gives a "guide" to vehicle prices, you can find them on the web too.

Buy a few classifieds to get an idea of the price in the private market so you have a figure in mind when you go to look at a car.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

kelley blue book will get you a price on any car........the dealer will start a LOT higher than the actual price but make sure your armed with the info on what that particular car is selling for.........if you think the guy is giving you a line of BS ask him to show you the kelly blue book price for that exact car....try this

http://www.kbb.com/
Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:29 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

This is a popular subject in this forum and has been covered numerous times. You'll find the past threads discussing the pros and cons of buying a car in the US if you do a search in this very forum.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:32 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying car out here

Know your enemy........

http://www.edmunds.com/new/index.htm...ga187034search
Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:32 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
This is a popular subject in this forum and has been covered numerous times. You'll find the past threads discussing the pros and cons of buying a car in the US if you do a search in this very forum.

NC Penguin
What if I can't be arsed to look for it?
Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:34 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
What if I can't be arsed to look for it?
In that case you take your chances when buying the car. Nuff said.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

For a year, just get a beater that way youcan dump it if you don't have time to sell it...plus it'll be cheaper to insure....
Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:38 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a look at carmax none in Colorado but it does give me some idea's on used prices.

Kelly Blue Book just what I was looking for many thanks.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:41 am
The American Job

Originally Posted by Bob
For a year, just get a beater that way youcan dump it if you don't have time to sell it...plus it'll be cheaper to insure....
Must admit I was kinder thinking that too, I've already got one car still in the UK.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:50 am
The American Job

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin
I did a bit of a search you drive a subaru or rather your other half does, but ok hands up gruffbrown hit the nail on the head
Old Oct 12th 2005, 5:41 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

KBB is too high. Edmunds will give you a more realistic price. Either way, you can do it all on the phone now. If I were you, I'd pick something common like an Accord or Camry and start calling around. There's really no reason to go visit a dealer until you have a good price from them. And do consider buying from a private owner - you can probably knock a couple of k off a dealer's price right away.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:39 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
KBB is too high. Edmunds will give you a more realistic price. Either way, you can do it all on the phone now. If I were you, I'd pick something common like an Accord or Camry and start calling around. There's really no reason to go visit a dealer until you have a good price from them. And do consider buying from a private owner - you can probably knock a couple of k off a dealer's price right away.

Yep - KBB is too high

I always laugh at people when they tell me they paid less than blue book

go to www.carbuyingtips.com

if you want a cheap small car for a year find a privately owned honda civic - 1995, or as the prvious poster mentioned an accord or camry

get a mechanic or pay you local honda dealer to look over it
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:43 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Yep - KBB is too high

I always laugh at people when they tell me they paid less than blue book

go to www.carbuyingtips.com

if you want a cheap small car for a year find a privately owned honda civic - 1995, or as the prvious poster mentioned an accord or camry

get a mechanic or pay you local honda dealer to look over it

I agree, a Honda or a Toyota is the way to go - economical and reliable (say the guy with a 4.0 Jeep).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.