Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in CA with a UK license

Buying a car in CA with a UK license

Old Oct 7th 2006, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

wallywally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car in CA with a UK license

Can this be done, I just tried and was refused.

Last edited by Sue; Oct 8th 2006 at 1:14 am. Reason: Thread disconnected from usenet and moved to the lifestyle forum.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a car in CA with a UK license

Originally Posted by wallywally
You do not need a license to buy a car!

Go somewhere else, not exactly a shortage of people selling cars.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Refused credit most likely ......
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a Social Security Number?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:22 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Now, I admit I do not know whether the car dealers we dealt with were acting according to CA law, or whether they just made up the rules according to what they THOUGHT the law was - but we had similar problems.

Specifically, we were told we could not buy a car without first getting insurance. But we could not find an insurer who would take us on without a US licence.

We went to the DMV, took the theoretical test and were issued with some kind of temporary licence while we were waiting to take the road test. The temporary licence was sufficient for insurance purposes.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
Now, I admit I do not know whether the car dealers we dealt with were acting according to CA law, or whether they just made up the rules according to what they THOUGHT the law was - but we had similar problems.

Specifically, we were told we could not buy a car without first getting insurance. But we could not find an insurer who would take us on without a US licence.

We went to the DMV, took the theoretical test and were issued with some kind of temporary licence while we were waiting to take the road test. The temporary licence was sufficient for insurance purposes.
Not much point buying a car if you can not use it.

And you need Insurance to use it. And register it.

Farmers is based in CA and will insure non US License Holders.

I would expect most of the major players will as well.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Same for us in NJ...but we drove down the road and got our licences straight away...then drove to the insurance company and collected the insurance documents.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

A while back I was watching 'Globe Trecker' and Ian was touring the states, he bought a cheap car, drove around the country and then sold it before he flew out. The way of getting cheap transport was recomendeed, he had a Uk licence ........ How did he buy the car ?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 2:32 pm
Guest21

I bought a car in Illinois and 2 in California never had a problem with a UK licence, I do know the DMV in California Modesto they told me that I needed to get a US licence but that was it.

Old Oct 8th 2006, 2:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whiskers
I bought a car in Illinois and 2 in California never had a problem with a UK licence, I do know the DMV in California Modesto they told me that I needed to get a US licence but that was it.
We couldn't get insurance without a licence. The car dealer said in NJ they weren't allowed to let the buyer take possession of the car without insurance.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 2:42 pm
Guest21

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We couldn't get insurance without a licence. The car dealer said in NJ they weren't allowed to let the buyer take possession of the car without insurance.
Progressive they insure neally anyone I got insured with them every time.
I know that some Insurance companys will not touch you or some will say that you have to get a US Licence within 30 days.

Pleased you had a great Vacation lucky bugger

Old Oct 8th 2006, 2:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Progressive they insure neally anyone I got insured with them every time.
I know that some Insurance companys will not touch you or some will say that you have to get a US Licence within 30 days.

Pleased you had a great Vacation lucky bugger
The dealer said it was NJ law....nothing to do with the insurance company.

Thank you.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 2:47 pm
Guest21

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The dealer said it was NJ law....nothing to do with the insurance company.

Thank you.
Oh OK I think different States seem to have different rules.

Old Oct 8th 2006, 2:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh OK I think different States seem to have different rules.
Yep...I still can't get my head around different laws for different states, counties, towns etc.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
A while back I was watching 'Globe Trecker' and Ian was touring the states, he bought a cheap car, drove around the country and then sold it before he flew out. The way of getting cheap transport was recomendeed, he had a Uk licence ........ How did he buy the car ?
Credit Card

Cheque

Cash

Well they are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Now IF it was true that only somebody with a US DL could buy a car:

How would Companies buy vehicles? Corporate DL's?

Why can you rent a car but not buy one?

And if you can rent why can you not lease?

How would they control private sales?

Brain dead nonsence.

Friend of mine was hassled for her SSN, told them to take a running jump. She was paying cash......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.