Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a car

Buying a car

Old Mar 1st 2015, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a car

Ok basic need when I arrive will be a car. I will probably rent for two to four weeks from a car hire co, but I will then need to buy.

Obviously forget credit, not going to happen...

So I'm looking at "preloved" cars around $15k.

What are the hidden costs at purchase time?
Sales tax?
Do I haggle (I assume yes looking at prices) ?
I presume paying by check I will have to wait two to four days to collect car?
Will my UK licence by ok to buy, or do I have to get US licence?
Main franchise dealer or just a dealer? Are there chain dealers like carcraft?

Looks like we we get the good ladies size of car first, fiesta or Nissan note so she can drive and feel more confidence with test. However ive noticed some decent classic car dealers, any advantages like in the UK with classic cars?

Ta muchly.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 11:21 am
Just Joined

ryanintheworld is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a car

Short Version: You may need to adjust your size preferences to a larger size. I know many ladies who drive pickup trucks that have larger wheelbases than many large sedans and are, of course, much taller. This is largely dependent on the location. Of course, both of you should drive autos that you feel comfortable controlling and using, and forget the size of everyone else's auto.

Long Version: Regarding car size, you may find the US "ladies size" to be bigger than expected on American roads. People sometimes like their cars bigger, imagine a highway or a freeway that is a sea of pickup trucks, SUVs, and large commercial transport trucks (collectively "trucks"). This actually happens and something the size of a Fiesta would both be and feel unsafe. I myself bought a VW Golf and VW Passat (the 2012 model built in the US for the US market, so a little larger than the German-built version) and have driven numerous vehicles in various cities of various size (US economy-size to Chevrolet Suburbans, and large moving trucks). There were definitely times when passenger cars (not trucks or SUVs) feel like they are too short of a vehicle. As I stated above, this is partly dependent on location. Anecdotal evidence: When I visit my parents in Seattle on the west coast, there are fewer trucks than when I go back to my home base of Houston, Texas; when I am in rural areas, depending on the state, there may be more or fewer large vehicles. I know many urban and suburban ladies who drive pickup trucks and SUVs of various sizes. There are also very many middle- or medium-size SUVs (miniature SUVs, if you will, such as the Toyota RAV4 or the Honda CRV) that are taller than passenger cars that are part of the truck population and contribute to the feeling that being in a sedan or a coupe is to be too short or too small. These are sometimes marketed to women who don't want to be in a relatively low sedan or coupe but who don't want the fuel inefficiency and the difficulty of operating a larger SUV.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

@markcst I bought a new Nissan Versa for $13500 2 years ago, the dealership was advertising it as a 'special' at $12050 but when I got there that car didn't exist! I'd printed out the ad and asked them to order me one, the sales guy said he couldn't, then they brought the cheapest new car they had out for me to test drive- and it wouldn't start. So I got my car I have now, and it's great. They tried very hard to upsell me but I said I wasn't writing a check for any more, and I got up to leave a couple of times and said 'just call me when you get one in' etc.

Yes, there will be sales tax and registration costs on top of whatever the advertised price is, and they will try to sell you all kinds of gadgets and extended warranty.

I didn't have to wait- drove car off lot after writing check. The title document came in the mail a few weeks later.

For used cars lots of people use CarMax.com, the cars are checked out and guaranteed.

Yes you can use your UK license at first, but I would get a state license asap as it's your first basic ID and you'll be asked for it all the time. I had to do a little written test then a policeman had me drive him 'round the block to get my first license; it was very easy.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryanintheworld
Short Version: You may need to adjust your size preferences to a larger size. I know many ladies who drive pickup trucks that have larger wheelbases than many large sedans and are, of course, much taller. This is largely dependent on the location. Of course, both of you should drive autos that you feel comfortable controlling and using, and forget the size of everyone else's auto...........
I appreciate this. I do. Ive driven over there a lot. The lady is insistent on a small car. She'll be using it to nip two blocks to the local Walmart at most. Suburban/town driving at best. She won't drive on freeways full stop.

She drives an Adam now in Town traffic.

I'm looking at a town with good paths and sidewalks. Flower Mound Texas.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Also, in re ID/DL: Many states require you to obtain a drivers license from their licensing authority within a certain period of time. Failure to do so is typically subject to a penalty which may technically be a petty criminal violation in some states (but still a crime!). I know this may not affect your purchase transaction, but just a note.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by markcst
I appreciate this. I do. Ive driven over there a lot. The lady is insistent on a small car. She'll be using it to nip two blocks to the local Walmart at most. Suburban/town driving at best. She won't drive on freeways full stop.

Sounds like you're well situated on that aspect!

Sorry to have beaten a dead horse
Old Mar 1st 2015, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Also, in re ID/DL: Many states require you to obtain a drivers license from their licensing authority within a certain period of time. Failure to do so is typically subject to a penalty which may technically be a petty criminal violation in some states (but still a crime!). I know this may not affect your purchase transaction, but just a note.
It's 90 days which is cool. I'd rather do the driving test, as simple as it maybe, in "our car" and also get the good lady through it too in the same car.

Ultimately we will trade it in or she'll have it as her car once I get credit. So as long as it lasts two years of 50 miles a day it'll do.

To be honest having done the maths the frustration will be waiting to buy that first new car as I can easily make the payments on the salary and bonus I'll be on.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like you're well situated on that aspect!

Sorry to have beaten a dead horse
No problems I appreciate the reply. I'd get her a scooter, but her balance is appalling
Old Mar 1st 2015, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

You're very close to Dallas and Fort Worth so you can probably get a good deal somewhere there.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 12:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What you are planning and what will happen are two different things. Between SUVs, pick-up trucks and ar-tics that are 40% longer than in the UK, driving a small car can be a scary activity. A couple of years ago, just around the corner from my local Walmart funnily enough, someone drove a Honda Civic into the path of an F250 pick-up. The driver of the F250 walked way, the Civic driver was killed instantly. Please think carefully before making a purchase for your wife.

You are wide of the mark with your comment about credit if you do what many people here on BE have done, me included, which is to buy through International Autosource. You must sign the purchase contract and pay the deposit before arriving in the US, but they finance on standard US credit terms for new immigrants - my loan, brokered through IA, was with Ford Motor Credit. IA's main business is selling vehicles to US servicemen, so they are entirely legit, and the service they offer is entirely as good as it seems on the surface.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What you are planning and what will happen are two different things. Between SUVs, pick-up trucks and ar-tics that are 40% longer than in the UK, driving a small car can be a scary activity. A couple of years ago, just around the corner from my local Walmart funnily enough, someone drove a Honda Civic into the path of an F250 pick-up. The driver of the F250 walked way, the Civic driver was killed instantly. Please think carefully before making a purchase for your wife.

You are wide of the mark with your comment about credit if you do what many people here on BE have done, me included, which is to buy through International Autosource. You must sign the purchase contract and pay the deposit before arriving in the US, but they finance on standard US credit terms for new immigrants - my loan, brokered through IA, was with Ford Motor Credit. IA's main business is selling vehicles to US servicemen, so they are entirely legit, and the service they offer is entirely as good as it seems on the surface.
Thanks. The latter is not in the wiki guide, it suggests building a credit rating then buying a car year one, and paying it off before term very quickly , hence why I said what I said
Old Mar 1st 2015, 12:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. The latter is not in the wiki guide, it suggests building a credit rating then buying a car year one, and paying it off before term very quickly , hence why I said what I said
An added bonus of the IA route is that, as soon as you notify your SSN to IA you'll be building your US credit history.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
An added bonus of the IA route is that, as soon as you notify your SSN to IA you'll be building your US credit history.
Top man. Thanks.

Are they leases with end bubble payments or traditional HP where you pay the lot?

They don't give much away on their website and tbh I'll buy to a budget per month. Having driven dodge caravans, jeep libertys and ford SUVs, I don't get too excited or emotive about the car, just the hire rate!
Old Mar 1st 2015, 1:05 pm

Top man. Thanks.

Are they leases with end bubble payments or traditional HP where you pay the lot?

They don't give much away on their website and tbh I'll buy to a budget per month. Having driven dodge caravans, jeep libertys and ford SUVs, I don't get too excited or emotive about the car, just the hire rate!
They do purchase loans and leases. I did a loan (no balloon payment), some others have done leases, but the rates aren't as competitive and not everyone has been pleased with the lease offerings. ..... Fords drive best of the domestic brands, and Ford has built a good reputation for drivability and build quality in recent years; a Fusion is a Mondeo. You couldn't pay me to drive a Chrysler Dodge product!
Old Mar 1st 2015, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

$15k will get you an ok buy, just be prepared for it to have more miles than maybe the equivalent priced car in the UK would have.
Shouod you haggle? Absolutely! I knocked $1200 off my first car! I did some research and had other similar cars at the price I wanted to pay, plus the car was a manual. I had great pleasure in telling the dealer he wouldn't get too many punters in looking for a stick.
Fee's and taxes will be added, they will vary state by state. Ask for the out the door price and they will work out for you what you will pay. My philosophy has been to pay the sticker price including all fee's and taxes. I paid slightly below on the Mazda 3 I bought when I arrived, slightly over with the Mustang I bought.
I had no problems buying my first car with just my UK license.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.