Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a car

Buying a car

Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

GlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to all
Default Re: Buying a car

Originally Posted by Eskimo
AIG will also acknowledge a UK driving record (I should have hidden mine )

You dont need an SS number to get a driving license but you have to argue like mad at the DMV to convince them of this

You can get 5 wrong on the written test but just read the mock papers on line its piss easy - as others have said the practical involves turning up sober and not hitting anything (speaking in an accent like a 1950s BBC newscaster seems to help as well)

Oh and Glasgow boy are you and the missus going to the Ship on Thursday night ?
Given the week we're having for various reasons, we may both be there from tonight on

But yes - we'll be there Thursday. You guys coming down again?
Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

GlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
they can ask, but they can't make you give it up because it ain't your license to give it up, as it belongs to the government.
True, but then they do have the right not to issue a US one in return.

To the OP - if you have a SS number, you're good to go. You wont need to show the card.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GlasgowBoy
Given the week we're having for various reasons, we may both be there from tonight on

But yes - we'll be there Thursday. You guys coming down again?
I'm working in Irvine on Thursday anyway so Ill pop in for a quick one - Woodsey is in the UK till Sunday - see ya there
Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I'm working in Irvine on Thursday anyway so Ill pop in for a quick one - Woodsey is in the UK till Sunday - see ya there
If I remember correctly there's a good little pub on the quay at Irvine, either the Crossed keys or Golden keys..or something like that. have a karaoke on a Thursday night (or used to) and packed with jock crumpet (not that you'd be interested of course). Foods reasonable too.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rushman
If I remember correctly there's a good little pub on the quay at Irvine, either the Crossed keys or Golden keys..or something like that. have a karaoke on a Thursday night (or used to) and packed with jock crumpet (not that you'd be interested of course). Foods reasonable too.
I'm assuming you're thinking of Irvine, Ayrshire - as oppossed to Irvine, Orange County.

Irvine, Ayrshire, will indeed have pubs on the quay. However, being Ayrshire, the clientell will be of the inbred, farmyard animal loving variety. Its not highly recommended.

Irvine, Orange County, wouldn't allow anything as crass as a pub. Its also land-locked so there's not that many quays.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 12:01 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by GlasgowBoy
I'm assuming you're thinking of Irvine, Ayrshire - as oppossed to Irvine, Orange County.

Irvine, Ayrshire, will indeed have pubs on the quay. However, being Ayrshire, the clientell will be of the inbred, farmyard animal loving variety. Its not highly recommended.

Irvine, Orange County, wouldn't allow anything as crass as a pub. Its also land-locked so there's not that many quays.
Ah ha. I was talking about Ayrshire and thought you guys were. Actually wondered WTF Eskimo would be going to Ayrshire for but couldnt be bothered to ask.