Buy a cell phone in USA

Buy a cell phone in USA

Old Nov 5th 2004, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

USA-Today is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buy a cell phone in USA

Hi

Can you please advise me

which cell phone should I buy ? How much will it cost ?

Which network should I choose ? How much will it cost ?

With regards
Manisha
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Highcouncilruler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buy a cell phone in USA

Originally Posted by USA-Today
Hi

Can you please advise me

With regards
Manisha
Don't forget to pay attention to calling plans. They really work if they fit in with your calling habits.

Look at the websites for the cell providers such as www.t-mobile.com. You can usually get pretty nice phones for free with rebates that they give either through mail-in or internet plans.

Keep in mind that the plans are based on how many minutes you get to use per month. Less expensive plans have less minutes, so you should think about how much you would use a cell phone and what times, so you have a clear idea when you go to shop of what your needs really are. That way, the salesperson can't get you into something that isn't really what you want or need.

Also, this is very important! These companies have you sign a minimum one year contract for service if not more. If you want to cancel before that, you will have fees and such. Another thing to consider as far as money is concerned is the fact that there will be roughly $20 of taxes and fees each month on top of the monthly plan.

Finally, the cell companies use your credit score to determine if they are willing to let you have a phone and if so, for free or not. That should be a consideration for you if you have not been able to build much credit yet.

Good luck
Old Nov 5th 2004, 10:55 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USA-Today
Hi

Can you please advise me

With regards
Manisha

You don't give enough information for us to give you any decent feedback.

Where do you live? Are you near a large metropolitan area or in the country? Do you plan to live in the area for a year or more? Less than a year?

How much do you expect to use the phone each month? Is it for daily usage or just for emergencies?

Is it just for you or do you need a family plan for multiple users? How many phones do you need?

Do you have a credit history in the States yet? Like Highcouncilruler said, many cell phone companies check your credit first. If you don't have a credit history yet that might make things difficult.

In our case, Mark and I decided to get a cell phone just for emergencies. We went with Virgin mobile because you can pay as you go, no contracts needed. We bought a Virgin phone at Best Buy for $99, and it came with a $10 bonus for our account. As long as we top it up at least $20 every 3 months the account remains active.

We can call anywhere in the country for the same flat rate, and it uses the Sprint PCS service which has got good coverage where we live. We really don't use it hardly at all, so the $6.67/month we spend for upkeep is a bargain.

~ Jenney
Old Nov 5th 2004, 1:18 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

if you want a contract get cingular/att wireless (they just finalised their merger)

biggest network in the USA and uses GSM technology with good phones available

you can get a plan for 1000 minutes for about 40 bucks + bullshit taxes

if you want minimum cost for emergencies only then get att wireless pay 2 go

unlike many providers their $10 top up cards last 3 months

bear in mind that 1000 minutes in the USA is not like 1000 minutes in the UK

when people call you it costs you as well.....

although it varies by region, I have found att on its own to be superb, with cingular as well coverage should be fantastic

T-mobile are the smallest network and therefore nationally have the worst coverage - athough they may suit your needs
Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Also, they don't round to the second, but up to the minute, which is annoying.

Roaming is the big killer, if you move about the state a lot, roaming charges are stupidly high in some cases.

Cancelling a contract can cost anything from $100-250 depending on length of contract and whom it is with.

I'm still using my Pay as you go I have from blighty as it's only ever used for emergencies, and don't need to top it up if I don't use it, only has to be used once in 6 month to be kept active, so for me, it's cheaper to keep it and pay the international roaming if I need it....but then reception is patchy at best in Maine, it's pretty much a black hole out here with whoever you use.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

get a virgin pay as you go - its the best as in you can go longest between mandatory top ups rates are good, no need for credit history etc etc Of course all depends on your usage too but ideal for emergencies and reasonable use - we just got one for my wife and it seemed the best deal. Avoid kiosks in malls as they are clueless and in the Cingular store the guy out right lied to us until I said I had been on their webiste when he miraculously found some great deals! We left!
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Roightmush is an unknown quantity at this point

I went with Virgin as well
Only used for those odd emergancies or to find out what I need to get when I'm in Safeway and they havn't got what's on my wifes shopping list!
very rarely use $20 worth of calls.
I will however hold it to my ear and pretend to use it when I feel like driving like a twat
Old Nov 6th 2004, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Heather142 will become famous soon enoughHeather142 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Roightmush
I went with Virgin as well
Only used for those odd emergancies or to find out what I need to get when I'm in Safeway and they havn't got what's on my wifes shopping list!
very rarely use $20 worth of calls.
I will however hold it to my ear and pretend to use it when I feel like driving like a twat

I decided on a pre-paid chip from T-mobile, and continue to use my tri-band phone from the UK. Cost for the chip was $15 plus $22 for the initial set-up. Chip is good for 60 mins, but has to be renewed after 60 days ... so in all just $7.50 a month, for light use - I think that is excellent value.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

USA-Today is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everybody

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Jenney & Mark

Where do you live?

Outside USA

Are you near a large metropolitan area or in the country?

I don't know yet as it depends on my clients place.

Do you plan to live in the area for a year or more? Less than a year?

More than a year

How much do you expect to use the phone each month? Is it for daily usage or just for emergencies?

Just for emergencies as someone suggested that I can use phonecard to call overseas.

Do you have a credit history in the States yet?

I am not sure about what is credit history. As I am new to USA, I can say 'no credit history'.

Now can you please suggest me which network should I go for ? How much will it ( phone & montly bill) cost ?

With regards,
Manisha

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
You don't give enough information for us to give you any decent feedback.

Where do you live? Are you near a large metropolitan area or in the country? Do you plan to live in the area for a year or more? Less than a year?

Is it just for you or do you need a family plan for multiple users? How many phones do you need?

Do you have a credit history in the States yet? Like Highcouncilruler said, many cell phone companies check your credit first. If you don't have a credit history yet that might make things difficult.

In our case, Mark and I decided to get a cell phone just for emergencies. We went with Virgin mobile because you can pay as you go, no contracts needed. We bought a Virgin phone at Best Buy for $99, and it came with a $10 bonus for our account. As long as we top it up at least $20 every 3 months the account remains active.

We can call anywhere in the country for the same flat rate, and it uses the Sprint PCS service which has got good coverage where we live. We really don't use it hardly at all, so the $6.67/month we spend for upkeep is a bargain.

~ Jenney