Reload this Page >

Buy a car and getting it insured in California

Buy a car and getting it insured in California

Old Dec 19th 2016, 1:21 am
Just Joined

Nick2g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buy a car and getting it insured in California

Hi all,

I've just moved into the Bay Area and like many others i have a few Qs about buying a car and getting insurance etc.

After reading through various posts it seems like you may be able to get a finance or a lease agreement if you go to to one of the major car manufacturers. 1) is that true? 2) If so, who's had success and where?

From my perspective it would be a great thing to get in place because it will help me build my credit score and life without a credit score is a real pain.

Now for insurance...

I've read that some people managed to use their UK history to negotiate a good deal. Other folks have called BS on that and said that it's likely you just got a discount from a broker who told you it was down to good UK history. Either way, 1) which insurance provider did folks go with? 2) if you used a broker in the Bay Area, how was the experience and do you recommend anyone?

Thanks in advance for and help and guidance.

All the best,
-N
Old Dec 19th 2016, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buy a car and getting it insured in California

Originally Posted by Nick2g
Hi all,

I've just moved into the Bay Area and like many others i have a few Qs about buying a car and getting insurance etc.

After reading through various posts it seems like you may be able to get a finance or a lease agreement if you go to to one of the major car manufacturers. 1) is that true? 2) If so, who's had success and where?

From my perspective it would be a great thing to get in place because it will help me build my credit score and life without a credit score is a real pain.

Now for insurance...

I've read that some people managed to use their UK history to negotiate a good deal. Other folks have called BS on that and said that it's likely you just got a discount from a broker who told you it was down to good UK history. Either way, 1) which insurance provider did folks go with? 2) if you used a broker in the Bay Area, how was the experience and do you recommend anyone?

Thanks in advance for and help and guidance.

All the best,
-N
12 years ago Progressive accepted my driver history. Cheapest by far at that time. After 5 years I changed to All state.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a car from a Mazda dealership and was approved for an 80% loan from Mazda Capital Services, via Mazda's foreign resident program. The loan duration was set to the length of my approved stay as determined by my I94. Having the loan on my credit record has made a big difference to my credit score, and I now have no problems obtaining credit.

As for car insurance, I insured myself with Progressive at first, which did take my UK driving history into consideration. I have since switched to AAA and now Geico.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Nick2g is an unknown quantity at this point

Great. Thanks my for the info!
Old Dec 19th 2016, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick2g
Great. Thanks my for the info!
The visas that quality for the Mazda Foreign Resident program are H-1B, H-3, J-1, L-class and O-class, which I presume includes whatever visa you have.