Businesses?

Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:50 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Businesses?

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Quite a judgemental term, "lazy", isn't it? I have a lawn service because my time is worth much more to me when spent with my family doing things we enjoy than spent mowing the lawn.

I'd have a pool service, but we found that they typically give such bad service that it's not worth the trouble.

Still, you can call me lazy if it makes you feel like a lawn-mowing hero

:-P

Mowing a lawn is a pain in the ass but until a lawn company buys a truck from me at a healthy profit (that will be the day), I'll do my own. It's good exercise and cheaper than a gym.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:15 am
Franklin

Default Re: Businesses?

Originally Posted by Dion
Anyone got any successful stories of making it good here (I'm in Florida) with a new business ... i have bought into a pest control business hoping for a good return but not sure if it's the right move....maybe a bar or cafe? ... appreciate any feedback.

My business was hard going in the first year (I earned far less than I earned as an employee). The first quarter of the second year was a lot better. I hope to equal my earnings as an employee this year, and next year to double my earnings. I keep resetting the clock (re: expectations).

At a guess, the first year of business is likely to be the hardest year, somebody told me that most businesses fail in their first year, one person even quoted me some ancient Chinese proverb (or so he said), "It's easy to start a business, but far harder to stay in business." I agree with that proverb. It's a tough game, and has been a lot tougher over (verses the mid 90s) because the economy was in recession (economy is doing better, but it is taking longer for the job market to improve - ask Bob). Outsourcing has killed off a number of "safe bets", e.g., IT jobs are "there", just not in the USA.