Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bush VS Heinz...

Bush VS Heinz...

Old Apr 24th 2003, 10:37 am
Just Joined

ukdesign is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb UK Food in the US - Best place to buy

Who has tried ordering Heinz from an online vendor.. need the cheapest place to order from.. miss my baked beans!!

Heinz-direct.com has some outrageous shipping prices, where one can of beans ends up costing $1 or $2 with shipping.

Anyone tried Bush vegetarian beans here in the US, a lot more sweeter and thicker sauce than our traditional british beans... I remember having heinz at the local walmart but they havent been there for a long while and they were "similar" not the same as in the UK.

Well let me know your thoughts

Last edited by ukdesign; May 4th 2003 at 1:47 am.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is that US baked beans are absolutely disgusting and if I had the need for a can I would pay $10 shipping for a can of Heinz rather than eat the local variety. The local beans taste like they have had a heap of sugar added, far too sweet for my taste.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

It's the lumps of pork fat in beans here that kill me, blech. I can't stomach US baked beans or pork n'beans (which look more like UK baked beans on the label). I buy HP beans from the local British shop and pay $2.55 a tin- yep expensive, but at least we can eat them.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 12:04 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

There are plenty of UK shops for beans and HP sauce and even Haggis - Mmmm
Old Apr 26th 2003, 8:46 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Taffyles
It's the lumps of pork fat in beans here that kill me, blech.
Ah, that would explain the tins of "vegetarian baked beans" that I saw when I was over there, much to my bafflement.
Old Apr 26th 2003, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see the vegetarian crisps too
Old Apr 28th 2003, 8:19 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Taffyles
Did you see the vegetarian crisps too
No, but that sort of makes sense, as I believe (though I'm not quite sure about this) that some meat-flavoured crisps use animal derivatives for flavouring.
Old Apr 28th 2003, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

ukdesign is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Heinz UK Beans

Cost for me here in the Carolinas is $1.25 per can
Old Apr 28th 2003, 5:19 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

'bout the same here - but the only place I've found that sells them is a mexican supermarket...huh?
Old Apr 28th 2003, 5:24 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heinz UK Beans

Originally posted by ukdesign
Cost for me here in the Carolinas is $1.25 per can

Where in the Carolinas are you, if you don't mind me asking?

We are moving to Raleigh in NC in late July and I'm going over for my first visit in 3 weeks time. Have you been there long and how did you find the move?

We live in Sweden at the moment so I know what it is like to move within Europe and some of the things that we had problems with the last time. I understand that things are much different with the US especially since 9.11, we have to itemise everything that we will be shipping over, arrive in the US before our stuff arrives and they may open the crates at customs to inspect it all. It all seems very daunting but at the same time very exciting.

Any gems of wisdom you could impart would be gratefully received

/Emm.
Old Apr 28th 2003, 5:47 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Emm,

We came here last October, and had the same worries - everything was very thoroughly documented in the shipping docs, and we were warned that we would probably be searched on entry. The moving co handled all the import requirements, and we didn't get involved at all. Our container was released about a week after arrival in port, which is what we had been advised. I don't think any of our boxes had been opened at all - it was all remarkably smooth in that respect. Hope yours is too!
Old Apr 28th 2003, 6:41 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Emm,

We came here last October, and had the same worries - everything was very thoroughly documented in the shipping docs, and we were warned that we would probably be searched on entry. The moving co handled all the import requirements, and we didn't get involved at all. Our container was released about a week after arrival in port, which is what we had been advised. I don't think any of our boxes had been opened at all - it was all remarkably smooth in that respect. Hope yours is too!
Thanks Yorkie, that's good to know. Can I ask you how long it took from the moving co. packing your stuff to arrival at your new home In US?
Old Apr 28th 2003, 7:15 pm

Weeell, you can, but not sure its going to help - we came from Singapore! Moved out at the end of September, held our furniture in Singapore for a month, then had it shipped here. Arrived (I think) first week December, took 7 days to clear customs, then unpacked on 13th December. Actually, thinking about it, I'm not sure the inventory/shipping note was any more detailed than when we first moved to singapore in '95.

Cheers
Old Apr 28th 2003, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

mentor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default not to be rude.. but please stick with the original post

I know how irritating it is to diverge from the topic.

I found a place online where you can buy UK baked beans for a very reasonable price. I will PM you the site as I dont want to break any forum rules
Old Apr 29th 2003, 1:27 am

Default Re: not to be rude.. but please stick with the original post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mentor
I know how irritating it is to diverge from the topic.

fair cop guv - sorry all.

Reminds me of my school reports - "tries hard but must remember to answer the question" and "willing participant but easily led astray"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.