Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bush signs Schiavo legislation

View Poll Results: Bush signs Schiavo legislation-how do you feel?
I'm Outraged!!
95.45%
Government intervention is fine by me.
4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Bush signs Schiavo legislation

Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:12 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bush signs Schiavo legislation

Originally Posted by candy wy.
giving someone food is not artificial in my mind food is something that we take for granted every day of our lives to survive. how that food is administered does not in my mind make any difference.
Breathing oxygen "is something that we take for granted every day of our lives to survive."

So giving someone oxygen in your mind is not artificial also?

How the oxygen is administered does not make any difference?

Fact is they are both means of artificially sustaining the bodies needs when it is unable to do so itself.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

i think if she hasn't got anything in writing no one should be making any dicisions because no one knows what she wanted..

Should a living will be made compulsory (e.g. make it part of the drivers licence)?

If so, does the state have the obligation to keep a person respiring indefinitely if they have so chosen?

Who is going to pay for all this? (Texas certainly isn't!)
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iginla
Breathing oxygen "is something that we take for granted every day of our lives to survive."

Fact is they are both means of artificially sustaining the bodies needs when it is unable to do so itself.
This thread has provoked a lot of comment and views so would it be right to follow the same procedure for patients with advanced alzheimers? They certainly are not going to get better and depend on others for their "life support".
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:23 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

removing oxygen from someone who is not brain dead is no differnent to me
than removing the feeding tube..
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlisonPA
The next year she developed an urinary tract infection and he refused to have her treated for it. He was told that if was not treated that it would spread and possibly kill her. He said he realised that.
Do you have a link we can refer to?

There's lots of disinformation being distributed.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:25 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
This thread has provoked a lot of comment and views so would it be right to follow the same procedure for patients with advanced alzheimers? They certainly are not going to get better and depend on others for their "life support".
i guess from the views of some people anyone that has to depend on any type of life support and has some type of brain imbalance should be allowed to die.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that's why he wouldn't divorce her then - so he can stay her next of kin. I find it appalling that it has always been the same judge (Judge Greer) that has resided over all the local court cases.
The thing is the judge is making a legal decision, not an emotional one. People keep saying that the judge wants to kill her, or the judge wants her dead, but it's simply not true. The judge is there to make a legal decision, in this case he decided that the legal guardian has the right to request removal of the feeding tube.

If every judge made emotional decisions all kiddie fiddlers would be hung, drawn and quatered (not that there's anything wrong with that, but the law is the law.)

-tom
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:31 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

Good point, it would be nice in future for all these claims to be backed up with some sort of source.

If not, then all one can do is dismiss them as heresay.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

It's the Terri's fight website http://www.terrisfight.net/

Go to the 'timeline' and read the transcript in 1993 I think it is. There are more highlighted ones too and also more in the "transcripts page"
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's the Terri's fight website http://www.terrisfight.net/

Go to the 'timeline' and read the transcript in 1993 I think it is. There are more highlighted ones too and also more in the "transcripts page"
But that site is run by Pamela Hennessy, a friend of Terri's parents.

Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:41 pm
Deep in the red C.

i guess from the views of some people anyone that has to depend on any type of life support and has some type of brain imbalance should be allowed to die.
I sincerely hope you're not referring to me here.

Nice generalization.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:42 pm
staying around

I sincerely hope you're not referring to me here.

Nice generalization.

did i mention your name.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:43 pm
Deep in the red C.

removing oxygen from someone who is not brain dead is no differnent to me
than removing the feeding tube..
So oncology patients with rampant cancer shouldn't be extubated?
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:45 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Please remember that this is a living person and her medical history is legally private. Only what has been made available in court is credible, and even parts of that are not publicly available. In cases where the parents or the husband or a third party (like a nurse) have told the media a given detail, they've done it to bolster their position on the case.

It is common practise to not treat a bacterial infection in someone who is terminally ill (will not recover a meaningful life). It is a far kinder death than is starvation. That said, I have no idea if she had a URI and was denied treatment. I've read and read on the subject from court records and not come across that one.

Google on the University of Miami ethics cases and there's a bit on Terri. Her CT scan, for one, which shows she has nearly no cerebral cortex left.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:46 pm
staying around

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Should a living will be made compulsory (e.g. make it part of the drivers licence)?

If so, does the state have the obligation to keep a person respiring indefinitely if they have so chosen?

Who is going to pay for all this? (Texas certainly isn't!)

yes a living will should be made by all...
i am sure if it was a person wish to be kept a live indefinitley they could take action to see that it was paid for they have insurance for everything else over here..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.