Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bush signs Schiavo legislation

View Poll Results: Bush signs Schiavo legislation-how do you feel?
I'm Outraged!!
95.45%
Government intervention is fine by me.
4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Bush signs Schiavo legislation

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bush signs Schiavo legislation

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
God help all of us
In the light of your statement I find invoking God's help very thought provoking.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:16 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Why do you think he had the conversation with his wife? Speculation aside (and even that conversation is speculation) unless you have something written in stone (or blood will do nicely) don't be surprised if the same damn thing wouldn't happen to you.
We don't know, that was my point. I was basically replying to the post that was speculating that he had "some sort of agenda". If others can speculate based on a few cranks phoning into a chat show that "the idea of an insurance payout in the event of her death is motivating him" then why not speculate that his intentions are honourable and well-meaning.

The man (IMO) is being demonized by a few who have no clue whatsoever what his motives are. Until someone presents hard evidence to me (and a chatshow doesn't count) that he has some sort of alterior motive he gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

God forgive that if the same thing happened to me there would be people that didn't know my wife judging her motives.

The sad thing about all this IMO is that it is now being used for political gain. Bet my bottom dollar this case is brought up somewhere in the next presidential election to score points.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

well i think it does....when i began the thread i said take a step back...this is just Bush intervening to further his political agenda as stated by another poster , I fully agree and I'm outraged....regardless of how heart wrenching and sad this case is I don't think Government interference is appropriate, God help all of us when the U.S Government takes it apon itself to decide what personal choices are in our best interest

I absolutely concur, CA. When the gov't steps in and overrides the wishes of the family due to nothing but political gain, this country is facing a sad day.

It truly, truly burns me to think about how much money this special meeting of Congress has cost us. They could have spent their time more wisely by voting on healthcare, education, feeding the homeless, Social Security, welfare, and God knows what else that could benefit countless numbers of people. Instead this was a waste of time, energy, and money. I sympathize with the parents, but IMO, if they truly loved their daughter, they'd let her go. Who would want their child to live like that? Being unable to communicate, feed myself, clothe myself or wipe my own ass is not living - I think they should just face reality let her go and quite wasting the country's time. I know that sounds cold to most, but there are more pressing issues in the world today and this does not even rank in the top 1000.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by candy wy.
the case you linked to is not the same. the baby was being kept alive by a machine. terri is not being kept alive by a machine.
No it isn't exactly the same, but it is the principal I am talking about, and the fact that Bush signed the legislation, which appears to be completely against this current Sanctity of Life trip he is currently on.

This case is being purely used for political gain, and a smoke screen to cover Iraq, deficit and Tom Delays current indictments!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

This case has huge repercussions.

If she is allowed to die, in the future, if one of you receives some sort of brain-damage in an accident for example, your spouse will be able to withdraw therapy, food and water and let you die, without recourse.

A close friend was injured in a car accident, lost his hearing in one ear, and suffered quite extensive brain damage. With intense therapy over the period of five years or so, he is able to hold down a job, drives..etc..etc..He isn't the 'bright-spark' he was before, but he is who he is today.

A cousin of mine caught meningitis as a toddler and lived in a truly vegetative state for 45 years. But her mother would never in her wildest dreams want to 'pull the plug' on her. Cared for her all that time.

I can't imagine life without both of them around. I can imagine what her parents must be going through. If the parents are willing to take care of her, let them, don't murder her.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iginla
The sad thing about all this IMO is that it is now being used for political gain. Bet my bottom dollar this case is brought up somewhere in the next presidential election to score points.
Thankfully Bush won't be running next term....unless he "fixes" it.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

God help all of us when the U.S Government takes it apon itself to decide what personal choices are in our best interest
I may be mistaken, but quite frankly I think that's already the case.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:13 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
This case has huge repercussions.

If she is allowed to die, in the future, if one of you receives some sort of brain-damage in an accident for example, your spouse will be able to withdraw therapy, food and water and let you die, without recourse.

Thats the state law now, that is why she has been allowed to die, your spouse has the last say on what happens to you if you have no living will. Thats why the case is such an outrage, the federal government should not get involved in state law.

This was all a political stunt by the Republicans to please there base, instead every american should be outraged. Congress has not acted to stop 8 students in Minesota from being killed or to stop it from happening again, yet one woman in a vegatative state brings Congress to a standstill
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:18 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I have no idea if what I've heard is correct or not but he does seem to have some sort of agenda.
Congratulations, your transformation into an American is now complete.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Howard will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Sadly it is a quality of life issue & how much quality of life does the poor woman have ?
No it's not. It's a constitutional issue.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:16 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Bush signs Schiavo legislation

Originally Posted by g1ant
Congratulations, your transformation into an American is now complete.
No chance of that LOL!

What does alarm me though are reports from the nursing staff about Terri Schiavo's husband:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...2/235813.shtml

I still don't understand why he won't turn over care and custody of his wife to her parents and just be done with it? Her parents must be heartbroken.

This is the website set up by her family (with videos of her) :

http://www.terrisfight.net/

Last edited by Englishmum; Mar 23rd 2005 at 9:19 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:21 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

No chance of that LOL!

What does alarm me though are reports from the nursing staff about Terri Schiavo's husband:

I still don't understand why he won't turn over care and custody of his wife to her parents and just be done with it? Her parents must be heartbroken.
NewsMax is simply NOT a credible news or information source - it's pure right wing fiction. Utter b*ll*cks. These are the same people who claimed she was speaking and begging not to be killed. You really shouldn't ever take NewsMax even remotely seriously.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

No chance of that LOL!

Ever wondered why the The Schindler's did not want to use any of that testimony from these people since that 2003 hearing...
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

No chance of that LOL!

This is the website set up by her family (with videos of her) :

http://www.terrisfight.net/
I watched a few of those videos from that website and although she's certainly not 'vegetative' she isn't really responding to much at all; all I can see is that her basic reflexes are working, but that doesn't mean she's actually consious (sp?) of anything going on around her.

-tom
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
NewsMax is simply NOT a credible news or information source - it's pure right wing fiction. Utter b*ll*cks. These are the same people who claimed she was speaking and begging not to be killed. You really shouldn't ever take NewsMax even remotely seriously.
Absolutely right. You should listen to un-biased media reporters like Dan Rather.
Your comments detract from the threads point as mine does. IMO of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.