Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bush signs Schiavo legislation

View Poll Results: Bush signs Schiavo legislation-how do you feel?
I'm Outraged!!
95.45%
Government intervention is fine by me.
4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Bush signs Schiavo legislation

Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

erkydooks will become famous soon enougherkydooks will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bush signs Schiavo legislation

Heres a couple of videos

One of em is Tom Delay doing some slagging

http://treyjackson.typepad.com/junct...delay_bil.html
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UJ_99
Plus, why this case, and not the one I linked to? As Barney Frank said, is Congress now going to have to consider ALL similar cases? That is what we have a judiciary for.
the case you linked to is not the same. the baby was being kept alive by a machine. terri is not being kept alive by a machine.
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Neither do I. This is the point I am trying to make. Why has the husband refused any therapy.
But did he refuse any therapy? Did he from the outset? This we don't know.

I'm willing to bet that after the accident she had all therapy available to her. The point and reason why the therapy stopped is the grey area (to me anyway). Was he acting after being told that she was unresponsive to therapy?
Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iginla
But did he refuse any therapy? Did he from the outset? This we don't know.

I'm willing to bet that after the accident she had all therapy available to her. The point and reason why the therapy stopped is the grey area (to me anyway). Was he acting after being told that she was unresponsive to therapy?
She did have all the therapy available ..even being moved to California for a while to try something new for the first few years .... The experts say then and still do ... she will never recover ...
Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
She did have all the therapy available ..even being moved to California for a while to try something new for the first few years .... The experts say then and still do ... she will never recover ...
I accept she would never recover to full health but that does not mean to say she should be starved to death. There are a lot of almost equally tragic cases around. As for experts I suppose we trust them but can you? They can be wrong as the Expert who testified to cot deaths in the UK. There was more than one travesty of justice against his name. He was recognised as the expert beyond reproach in his field in the country and he caused a lot of misery.
I am just not yet convinced that the decision should be taken at this time without further investigation.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 11:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Bush signs Schiavo legislation

I'm with Tony on this one.

I've heard people calling in to the talk radio stations saying that the husband wants his wife to be cremated as soon as possible after her death and is insisting that no autopsy be performed on her. Also he apparently did not mention a thing about her (allegedly) telling him of her wish to have any life-support assistance switched off until 7 years had passed. I have no idea if what I've heard is correct or not but he does seem to have some sort of agenda.

I don't know why he just can't divorce his wife and leave her to the care of her blood family...but I guess the idea of an insurance payout in the event of her death is motivating him.

One of the reasons I feel uneasy about this is that when I had my first caesarian section I had a general aneasthetic. Whilst I was on the operating table I distinctly heard a female voice exclaim..."it's a baby girl!" but I couldn't open my eyes or indeed move a muscle. For a few moments I heard the surgeons chattering and giving directions to the theatre staff, feeling a slight sensation of 'tugging' - presumably being stitched up - and it was almost like being half-alive and half-dead. :scared:

Fortunately I was obviously 'coming round' and I heard a voice telling me to wake up - I think I was being nudged or slapped a little to encourage me to do so.

I've never forgotten that sensation of being 'not quite there' and the next time I had a caesarian I chose to have a local aneasthetic.

To some degree....I do wonder if someone like Teri Schiavo may be in such a similar state....none of us knows for sure if she has any sense of what is going on around her - but what if she does but just can't communicate it to anyone? She isn't brain dead, but she does have brain damage. It's just too cruel to starve her to death....you wouldn't do it to your pet dog would you? d
Old Mar 21st 2005, 11:50 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
From what I heard the legislation only applies to this particular case. I would have thought there were enough problems elsewhere in the world to keep the 'most powerful man in the world' fully occupied.....sounds like micromanagement on a grand scale!!
well I hope you're right yorkie but I've a terrible feeling this is the start of how things are gonna be under Bush, he seems to muscle in on issues that don't concern him on a personal level and pass law dening others their freedoms to choose if those choices disagree with his personal beliefs
Originally Posted by Bob
Not to be completely cold and heartless here...but isn't it a major waste of tax money for bush to get involved when there is so much else that will affect far more people that could do with the time and money, like healthcare reform and the iraq situation?
not heartless in the least Bob I've been watching several news channels of late and all i seem to see is camera's waiting for Martha to be released, Micheal Jackson, Scott Peterson ...even showing us his cell etc i mean inform us but these news reports were practically mini series on the subjects!!

Is there still a war in Iraq??? to watch the U.S news you'd hardly believe it

What I did watch and enjoy was some old geezer on the Daily Show informing the American public that their being fed tripe by the News Networks , keeping the public dumbed down...too true and i'm sure that's the way Bush and his cronies like it
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:02 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
well I hope you're right yorkie but I've a terrible feeling this is the start of how things are gonna be under Bush, he seems to muscle in on issues that don't concern him on a personal level and pass law dening others their freedoms to choose if those choices disagree with his personal beliefs
... or his political agenda.

Didn't he receive substantial backing from the religious right. To turn his back on this wouldn't be the cleverest of political moves IMO.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:02 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've heard people calling in to the talk radio stations saying that the husband wants his wife to be cremated as soon as possible after her death and is insisting that no autopsy be performed on her.
Really reliable, credible, and unbiased sources then.
The amount of hysterical disinformation flying about in this case is shocking. There are even right wing "news" sites that are pushing stories about how she can talk and has been begging to live.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:09 am
Deep in the red C.

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'm with Tony on this one.

I've heard people calling in to the talk radio stations saying that the husband wants his wife to be cremated as soon as possible after her death and is insisting that no autopsy be performed on her. Also he apparently did not mention a thing about her (allegedly) telling him of her wish to have any life-support assistance switched off until 7 years had passed. I have no idea if what I've heard is correct or not but he does seem to have some sort of agenda.

I don't know why he just can't divorce his wife and leave her to the care of her blood family...but I guess the idea of an insurance payout in the event of her death is motivating him.
I'm sorry but everything you've posted here is pure speculation and gossip.

How do you know for certain that he didn't have a conversation with his wife discussing what to do in the circumstances? I have nothing on paper yet but have told my wife if she kept me alive under those circumstances I would come back to haunt her.

Elaborate on why you think he has "some sort of agenda." Might his agenda be to carry out her wishes that she expressed whilst in full health?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:19 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

... or his political agenda.

Didn't he receive substantial backing from the religious right. To turn his back on this wouldn't be the cleverest of political moves IMO.
isn't it scary when religious extremist have the power to change laws...cos that's all it is...it absolutely boggles my mind that Bush and his religious cronies get away with this....he's so in your face about it all...he doesn't even respect Seperation of Church and State and that's in the U.S Constitution!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but everything you've posted here is pure speculation and gossip.

How do you know for certain that he didn't have a conversation with his wife discussing what to do in the circumstances? I have nothing on paper yet but have told my wife if she kept me alive under those circumstances I would come back to haunt her.

Elaborate on why you think he has "some sort of agenda." Might his agenda be to carry out her wishes that she expressed whilst in full health?
Why do you think he had the conversation with his wife? Speculation aside (and even that conversation is speculation) unless you have something written in stone (or blood will do nicely) don't be surprised if the same damn thing wouldn't happen to you.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
isn't it scary when religious extremist have the power to change laws...cos that's all it is...it absolutely boggles my mind that Bush and his religious cronies get away with this....he's so in your face about it all...he doesn't even respect Seperation of Church and State and that's in the U.S Constitution!!!
Personally Ido not think this statement has anything to do with the discussion.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

How do you know for certain that he didn't have a conversation with his wife discussing what to do in the circumstances?
Nobody does and that is the whole point. I do not think it will stand up legally but I am certainly no lawyer to confirm that point.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:39 am
Back Again

Originally Posted by tony126
Personally Ido not think this statement has anything to do with the discussion.
well i think it does....when i began the thread i said take a step back...this is just Bush intervening to further his political agenda as stated by another poster , I fully agree and I'm outraged....regardless of how heart wrenching and sad this case is I don't think Government interference is appropriate, God help all of us when the U.S Government takes it apon itself to decide what personal choices are in our best interest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.