Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bush pushes Abstinence Programs

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Do you think Abstinence Programs for Teens work?
Yes!
6.25%
No!
90.63%
Unsure
3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Bush pushes Abstinence Programs

Old Mar 26th 2005, 1:33 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bush pushes Abstinence Programs

Originally Posted by Bob
...as you cant' have an abortion if your over 3 weeks pregnant in this state, things only build up...which is really stupid and sad.
Only 3 weeks Bob? Are ya sure? Most gals wouldn't have the slightest inkling they were pregnant at that stage...
Old Mar 26th 2005, 2:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Only 3 weeks Bob? Are ya sure? Most gals wouldn't have the slightest inkling they were pregnant at that stage...
exactly...there way of having abortion legal, but not being much use for anyone...
Old Mar 26th 2005, 2:28 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
No not at all. The original question/poll is a good one. The point being made was that it was a waste of tax payers money. My interpretation regards to your reply was the term Bible Basher. Where does the Bible bashing come into it unless you are making a political statement also.
It comes from the way preachers used to smack the bible down as part of there surmon. To emphasise a point they would hit the pulpit with the bible, this is where the term bible basher (as they where bashing the bible against the pulpit) comes from.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

I have a teenage daughter and whilst I dread the day that some spotty teenage lad gets his hands and other things on her, it will happen and so it should. Sex is a huge part of a relationship and if it isn't a happy sexual relationship then it won't be happy in other ways. I believe you have to practise to make perfect and not just with one partner.Promoting abstinence only promotes guilt and teenagers have enough to worry about without having to feel guilty about wanting to have sex, you can't fight nature.
I recall a documentary about the 'ring' wearers and one lad had failed in his pledge, he was so upset about it, but why the hell should he be, it also showed a man who was a minister in some insane church who was telling kids that condoms didn't protect you from pregnacy and HIV, absolutely disgraceful. One girl admitteded to having regular anal sex with her partner, because after all, she was still a virgin
Children should be taught everything there is to know about sex, warts and all (literally ) Whilst I appreciate HIV and STD's are a problem, knowledge is everything, give them the correct facts and the majority will make the right decisions, I don't know about the US but in the UK they talk about HIV being on the increase mostly in hetrosexuals, what they fail to say is that over 80% of these cases are people that have caught it through sexual relationships in africa.
Teenage pregnancies will always happen I know, I was the result of a teenage pregnancy and so was my daughter, my mum had no knowledge at all, hence me, I on the other hand took precautions and they failed, neither my mum or I, given the chance again would change anything, having a baby young is extremely hard but you get through it and life continues, it does not ruin your life. Whilst I obviously don't want my daughter to be pregnant at 16, I think she stands much more chance not being, by being given the facts and being allowed to make her own decisions, not by being lied to and being made to feel guilty.

Last edited by woodsey; Mar 26th 2005 at 3:55 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
It comes from the way preachers used to smack the bible down as part of there surmon. To emphasise a point they would hit the pulpit with the bible, this is where the term bible basher (as they where bashing the bible against the pulpit) comes from.
That is one interpretation. It can also be used in a derogatory way as I am sure you know..
Old Mar 27th 2005, 3:00 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

That is one interpretation. It can also be used in a derogatory way as I am sure you know..
I prefer the term "God botherer" myself. "Bible basher" is so yesterday.....

And I mean that in all the ways it can be taken .
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:23 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a " Bible Basher" whatever you mean by that but I am a Christian. I also voted 'no'. Obviously this is meant to have a go at Bush who just happens to be the President. Obviously no other government wastes money do they? I mean Democrats didn't, Labour and Conservatives certainly haven,t so if you do not believe that for $1(max) as of 2008, of your money per year is worthwhile in trying to educate children in no matter what then I do not know what your thinking. It could be any number of subjects to which people will always agree and disagree.
the fact that every Government wastes money is not the point, the point is only this Government wastes such a huge amount on abstinence programs..(programs not proved to even work heck the info suggests quite the opposite).and yes i think it has everything to do with religious and personal beliefs..i.e Bush's!! yet again the man pushes forth his own personal religious beliefs on us all ....slashing money from wonderful educational Organisations like Planned Parenthood merely because they inform about and will perform abortions...definitly a no no to Bush and his other Right wing "religious" cronies

Too tell a teenager overflowing with hormones to not have sex is truely absurd!! Ha ha I'd laugh if it wasn't so f***king sad!!

Educate and inform kids, obviously it's preferable for a 13 year old to abstain but they need to know about condoms etc so that when teenagers do have sex....and they will...they be informed and able to protect themselves...i mean in the second site(in the initial post) it says kids who are abstaining are having unprotected anal sex...WTF??? since when was that abstaining i'm perplexed and deeply saddened

Thank goodnes my kids have me..i'll happily give them condoms, the pill etc everything they need and need to know and hopefully then they'll be smart enough to make the right choices
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
the fact that every Government wastes money is not the point, the point is only this Government wastes such a huge amount on abstinence programs..(programs not proved to even work heck the info suggests quite the opposite).and yes i think it has everything to do with religious and personal beliefs..i.e Bush's!! yet again the man pushes forth his own personal religious beliefs on us all ....slashing money from wonderful educational Organisations like Planned Parenthood merely because they inform about and will perform abortions...definitly a no no to Bush and his other Right wing "religious" cronies

Too tell a teenager overflowing with hormones to not have sex is truely absurd!! Ha ha I'd laugh if it wasn't so f***king sad!!

Educate and inform kids, obviously it's preferable for a 13 year old to abstain but they need to know about condoms etc so that when teenagers do have sex....and they will...they be informed and able to protect themselves...i mean in the second site(in the initial post) it says kids who are abstaining are having unprotected anal sex...WTF??? since when was that abstaining i'm perplexed and deeply saddened

Thank goodnes my kids have me..i'll happily give them condoms, the pill etc everything they need and need to know and hopefully then they'll be smart enough to make the right choices
As I said I voted that it would have no effect. But if what you write is correct and I am not disputing it then all I can say it is sad and something is wrong somewhere and it has nothing to do with GWB.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:13 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

As I said I voted that it would have no effect. But if what you write is correct and I am not disputing it then all I can say it is sad and something is wrong somewhere and it has nothing to do with GWB.
huh how can you say that? you're not his moma are you??
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

huh how can you say that? you're not his moma are you??
Obviously there is something wrong some as kids are doing all the things mentioned and as far as I know always have but is it down to ignorance, parents failing or do we complain because somebody is at least trying to do something.
If it was a green man from Mars I would not criticise him for trying to do something. Your thinking with regards to how you will deal with your child/ren is modern but I think you are in the minority.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:00 pm
Back Again

Obviously there is something wrong some as kids are doing all the things mentioned and as far as I know always have but is it down to ignorance, parents failing or do we complain because somebody is at least trying to do something.If it was a green man from Mars I would not criticise him for trying to do something. Your thinking with regards to how you will deal with your child/ren is modern but I think you are in the minority.
"In his fiscal year 2006 budget unveiled last month which drastically slashed spending on hundreds of other social programs, Bush proposed increasing funding for abstinence by $39 million to $206 million, rising to $270 million by 2008."
So you call the President doing the above just somebody trying to do something??

And in my mind the Government pushing these programs and disinformation just increases the chances of ignorant parents doing nothing, turning a blind eye etc...

denying the fact that your teenager has become sexually aware curious active etc is simply like sweeping it under the rug....and god knows what kind of stuff they're getting up to under there! :scared: ..oh yeah the other report says incresed unprotected anal sex and that way they're still virgins

I'd rather my child used a condom for any and every type of sex...I don't call that modern...I call that responsible
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

"In his fiscal year 2006 budget unveiled last month which drastically slashed spending on hundreds of other social programs, Bush proposed increasing funding for abstinence by $39 million to $206 million, rising to $270 million by 2008."
So you call the President doing the above just somebody trying to do something??

And in my mind the Government pushing these programs and disinformation just increases the chances of ignorant parents doing nothing, turning a blind eye etc...

denying the fact that your teenager has become sexually aware curious active etc is simply like sweeping it under the rug....and god knows what kind of stuff they're getting up to under there! :scared: ..oh yeah the other report says incresed unprotected anal sex and that way they're still virgins

I'd rather my child used a condom for any and every type of sex...I don't call that modern...I call that responsible
I am neither a left eyed Democrat or a right eyed Republican I try to look at things in a balanced viewpoint and we are discussing this particular one. At the moment it is costing less than $1/ head of population/year. I think parents have to take responsibility for their childrens actions and if they don,t then I would ask you what the answer is because I do not know. Obviously you object to Government interference, and I am assuming from either party.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:56 pm
Back Again

At the moment it is costing less than $1/ head of population/year. I think parents have to take responsibility for their childrens actions and if they don,t then I would ask you what the answer is because I do not know. Obviously you object to Government interference, and I am assuming from either party.
it's not government interference I object to but the fact that the only message Bush is sending our teens is one of Abstinence, how about giving the money to Organisations like Planned Parenthood, putting their messages into school programs if you want to check the link

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2...nsexualhealth/

you'll see that their message for teens is very open honest and informative, while they have messages about abstinence they also realise that abstinence only is not for everybody, they let a teen know that sex is natural and can above all be safe....put money into programs that help Teens make the right choices...

It's a sad fact that Bush fails to acknowledge the good Planned Parenthood can do just because they are a Pro-Choice Organisation .....and we all know his strong Pro-Life stance helped him in the Election

y'know.... I don't know why this government can't be Pro-life while still informing Teenagers about sex and contraception etc wouldn't it make more sense in the long run?? Less unprotected sex less pregnancies..less abortions/teenage mom's??

I just don't get his reasoning
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

it's not government interference I object to but the fact that the only message Bush is sending our teens is one of Abstinence, how about giving the money to Organisations like Planned Parenthood, putting their messages into school programs if you want to check the link

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2...nsexualhealth/

you'll see that their message for teens is very open honest and informative, while they have messages about abstinence they also realise that abstinence only is not for everybody, they let a teen know that sex is natural and can above all be safe....put money into programs that help Teens make the right choices...

It's a sad fact that Bush fails to acknowledge the good Planned Parenthood can do just because they are a Pro-Choice Organisation .....and we all know his strong Pro-Life stance helped him in the Election

y'know.... I don't know why this government can't be Pro-life while still informing Teenagers about sex and contraception etc wouldn't it make more sense in the long run?? Less unprotected sex less pregnancies..less abortions/teenage mom's??

I just don't get his reasoning
Looking at the links and just opening a couple of them has me agreeing that the info contained is very relevant. Perhaps you could tell me if they get any Government funding at all. Being retired and all my kids grown up obviously I am not up on this type of thing. If I were then I would have no problem in going over these points with any of my children. If it is not government funded then I agree with you that it should be.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the links and just opening a couple of them has me agreeing that the info contained is very relevant. Perhaps you could tell me if they get any Government funding at all. Being retired and all my kids grown up obviously I am not up on this type of thing. If I were then I would have no problem in going over these points with any of my children. If it is not government funded then I agree with you that it should be.
It I believe is state funded...and things like contraception is paid on a sliding income scale....but the problem is, because they do not have heavy funding, they can't do very much, well I can only speak for maine, they only have office's in the bigger cities, and are only open mon-thursday 1-3pm...that's not a long time, and if your a kid at school, how are you supposed to go there?
The main advantage with these places, it is a place where the kids can go and ask for information without the embarrassment of having to deal with parents or school teachers, but they aren't much use if you can't get to them...