Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bush pushes Abstinence Programs

View Poll Results: Do you think Abstinence Programs for Teens work?
Yes!
6.25%
No!
90.63%
Unsure
3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Bush pushes Abstinence Programs

Old Mar 26th 2005, 2:38 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bush pushes Abstinence Programs

well yet again Bush is pushing his abstinence programs, take a look

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7221243/

in my opinion this has to come in the top five ways to waste tax-dollars
Do you think Abstinence programs work?? Does anybody ?

And this little piece is also very interesting but not very surprising
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7232643/
Old Mar 26th 2005, 3:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bush pushes Abstinence Programs

Don't think they do...was a big study in blighty that was a bit of an eye opener at the number of under 16 yr olds bonking away....
Old Mar 26th 2005, 3:27 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Voted no, based on my own sphere of experience, but in amongst all the bible bashers around here, it may well be a different story......
Old Mar 26th 2005, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Surely the poll should ask

Yes
No
Couldn't give a f**k ?
Old Mar 26th 2005, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

bizzymum3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been here in the US long enough to be a citizen and I have seen a major decline in the judgement of the gov't. I have NO intention of staying in the US. Even the Americans do not want to remain here. I am hoping to move up north to Canada as a nurse. At least there is NAFTA to land a job before applying. I would LOVE to move further like to NZ, or Australia, but it is easier and cheaper to move HH goods and pets do not need quarantining if their vaccines are up to date .
Bush uses the gov't for his own personal agenga and own opinions rather what is legal.

Last edited by bizzymum3; Mar 26th 2005 at 4:48 pm. Reason: typo
Old Mar 26th 2005, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Voted no, based on my own sphere of experience, but in amongst all the bible bashers around here, it may well be a different story......
I am not a " Bible Basher" whatever you mean by that but I am a Christian. I also voted 'no'. Obviously this is meant to have a go at Bush who just happens to be the President. Obviously no other government wastes money do they? I mean Democrats didn't, Labour and Conservatives certainly haven,t so if you do not believe that for $1(max) as of 2008, of your money per year is worthwhile in trying to educate children in no matter what then I do not know what your thinking. It could be any number of subjects to which people will always agree and disagree.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:23 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
I am not a " Bible Basher" whatever you mean by that but I am a Christian. I also voted 'no'. Obviously this is meant to have a go at Bush who just happens to be the President. Obviously no other government wastes money do they? I mean Democrats didn't, Labour and Conservatives certainly haven,t so if you do not believe that for $1(max) as of 2008, of your money per year is worthwhile in trying to educate children in no matter what then I do not know what your thinking. It could be any number of subjects to which people will always agree and disagree.
not sure I understand your reply - the poll asked a question which I answered - not sure how you drew the other inferences from my reply?
Old Mar 26th 2005, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

not sure I understand your reply - the poll asked a question which I answered - not sure how you drew the other inferences from my reply?
No not at all. The original question/poll is a good one. The point being made was that it was a waste of tax payers money. My interpretation regards to your reply was the term Bible Basher. Where does the Bible bashing come into it unless you are making a political statement also.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 9:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No not at all. The original question/poll is a good one. The point being made was that it was a waste of tax payers money. My interpretation regards to your reply was the term Bible Basher. Where does the Bible bashing come into it unless you are making a political statement also.
Well I can't speak for your neck of the woods,but because of the religious folk, especially on school boards, is why sex ed is so crap in this state, and that no schools or public toilets have vending machines to get condoms, and it's really hard to get the pill, especially if you have to rely on family planning, which are open between 1-3pm mon-thurs in most places in this state.
So basically they don't want to talk about sex, help kids deal with sex, or even think it goes on, yet this state has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates...
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Well I can't speak for your neck of the woods,but because of the religious folk, especially on school boards, is why sex ed is so crap in this state, and that no schools or public toilets have vending machines to get condoms, and it's really hard to get the pill, especially if you have to rely on family planning, which are open between 1-3pm mon-thurs in most places in this state.
So basically they don't want to talk about sex, help kids deal with sex, or even think it goes on, yet this state has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates...
And that is sad. As I said the question is a good one. Somebody has to try and do something somewhere and if as you say the "religious folk" by their actions are not helping this then they ought to be taken to account. There is more than one way of skinning a rabbit.Unless people get involved things will never change. Unfortunately it is not just down to the schools. I think a lot of parents should be answerable for their childrens actions. It happened to me and I will accept my share of the blame.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:33 pm

I was trying to make the point that I was brought up in a part of the world where religion is not a particularly strong pillar of the society. Where I currently live, it is much more so, and so I believe the beliefs, practises, morals and behaviour of the teenagers round here may be formed by considerably different influences. Hence my comment that I did not believe advocating abstinence would work where I was brought up, but it may here.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

..Unless people get involved things will never change. Unfortunately it is not just down to the schools. I think a lot of parents should be answerable for their childrens actions...
Aye, that's true...it is sad that a lot of parents don't get involved, certainly people out of the main cities, they leave it up the schools, but often the schools don't do anything, because in most of the cases, the people on the school boards are all very religious...and there not being a lot for kids to do, they get themselves into these situations, and aren't given any form of help before hand or after they get pregnant...as you cant' have an abortion if your over 3 weeks pregnant in this state, things only build up...which is really stupid and sad.

Though any government abstinence program, which would mean well, just won't fundamentaly
work, so would be a waste of money, as sad as that is.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was trying to make the point that I was brought up in a part of the world where religion is not a particularly strong pillar of the society. Where I currently live, it is much more so, and so I believe the beliefs, practises, morals and behaviour of the teenagers round here may be formed by considerably different influences. Hence my comment that I did not believe advocating abstinence would work where I was brought up, but it may here.
The only thing I was really differing with you was your phraseology. I accept your viewpoint without reservation as unfortunately this problem applies to all. How many times have you heard that Vicars/Preachers sons and daughters have gone astray with drink, drugs pregnancies etc etc. Like you I think somebody should be trying to do something but my personal opinion likens to King Canute ordering the tide to stop coming in.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 1:15 am

personal opinion likens to King Canute ordering the tide to stop coming in.
Sad, but probably true....
Although I seem to remember seeing somewhere that "saving" oneself until after marriage was an increasing trend again - or was that just on Sex and the City....
Old Mar 27th 2005, 1:32 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Sad, but probably true....
Although I seem to remember seeing somewhere that "saving" oneself until after marriage was an increasing trend again - or was that just on Sex and the City....
You have to sample the goods before you buy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.