Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bush picks John Roberts for the Supreme Court

Wikiposts

Bush picks John Roberts for the Supreme Court

Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bush picks John Roberts for the Supreme Court

Originally Posted by pingu
I think the point that Franklin is trying to make is that the Republicans are the ones that are in power, and if the Democrats want to win in 2008 they will have to come up with something a little more constructive than calling everybody racist that doesn't agree with them
Which Democrats called the Republicans racist?
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:15 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Which Democrats called the Republicans racist?
You and your ilk.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
You and your ilk.
When did I say I was a Democrat?

Oh s**t, I disagree with the current Republican administration so I must be a tree hugging, pinko, commie liberal.

That just goes to show that Republicans really don't have a clue.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:17 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they'd be smart enough to do that if they hadn't lowered the standards in our public schools so that more kids pass in order to increase their delicate self esteem.

Don't actually think they need to do anything much to destroy the administration at the moment. They learnt this lesson with the Schiavo case: the less they said and did, the more the neocon support fell! They carried it on quite successfully with social security reform, too. IMO, they should just oppose properly but not go out of their way to be particularly objectionable, and the neocons will happily destroy themselves...

P.S. Think the dumbing down in your schools has been going on for a long, long time under many administrations. IMO, it's mainly due to the fact the US believes it's #1 at everything so there's little point in looking beyond the borders to see if anyone's doing it better.

P.P.S. If you want a strategist after Rove goes to jail, I don't think you could possibly go wrong with Franklin. He'll do you a treat...
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:48 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The 3.8 million Texans that voted for him in the 2000 election may disagree with you.
There are about 20 million Texans; 3.8 million is a small fraction. There are the children without decent education and health care; shame they can't vote, ain't it.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:49 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by snowbunny
ain't it.
Ahhh...I see you went to public schooling too!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:50 am

When did I say I was a Democrat?

Oh s**t, I disagree with the current Republican administration so I must be a tree hugging, pinko, commie liberal.

That just goes to show that Republicans really don't have a clue.
Just about as much as I must be a racist for being a republican!!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just about as much as I must be a racist for being a republican!!
I was being sarcastic
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:54 am

I was being sarcastic

Ohh....it was so obvious after you posted it a whole bunch of times on various threads
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:57 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by Boiler
Similar situation to when the Conservatives imploded, all the Democrats have to do is to look electable, Bush is their best friend.
I concur. The Democrats have everything to gain, but the Democratic Party seems to be going through a rudderless phase characterized by negative diatribes, absence of real policy, and support for causes that actually turn off many swing-voters in the middle states. In the middle of this morass is a power game, the democrats in the coastal states are trying to gain control of the party; if they succeed the Democratic Party will be next to unelectable and will mirror the state of the Tories in the UK, who seem more interested in scoring points off each other than in winning elections.

The Democratic Party need to ditch Kennedy, establish a new leadership committee, fire the current head of the DNC and anyone else who does not follow the leadership committee recommendations, tell HC in no uncertain terms that she will not be the next Democratic nominee for President, find issues that actually mean something to swing-voters in the middle states, ditch causes that mean next to nothing to swing voters in the middle states, stop describing swing voters who voted Republican in the last election cycle in derogatory terms, and look electable.

Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:57 am
pingu

Originally Posted by snowbunny
There are about 20 million Texans; 3.8 million is a small fraction. There are the children without decent education and health care; shame they can't vote, ain't it.
In that particular election around 6 million voted in the state of texas, with over 2 million of those voting for Al Gore. You don't honestly believe that all of those people ineligible to vote would have actually voted for Gore too? Do you think that things would have been any better if Gore had won? Of course you do. Then the rich would be taxed more and you might get your welfare check!

Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ohh....it was so obvious after you posted it a whole bunch of times on various threads
You mean the same thread I posted that I live in Hoagy's Alley? or the thread I put <sarcastic> quotes around the statements?

Gee, lighten up.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:02 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Then the rich would be taxed more and you might get your welfare check!
I'm ineligible for welfare and would be under any but the wildest schemes. *I*'m the one who'd be paying more. I guess that's one thing that I and most of the neocons have in common: we aren't voting our pocketbook, but rather our beliefs.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:04 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Don't actually think they need to do anything much to destroy the administration at the moment. They learnt this lesson with the Schiavo case: the less they said and did, the more the neocon support fell! They carried it on quite successfully with social security reform, too. IMO, they should just oppose properly but not go out of their way to be particularly objectionable, and the neocons will happily destroy themselves...

P.S. Think the dumbing down in your schools has been going on for a long, long time under many administrations. IMO, it's mainly due to the fact the US believes it's #1 at everything so there's little point in looking beyond the borders to see if anyone's doing it better.

P.P.S. If you want a strategist after Rove goes to jail, I don't think you could possibly go wrong with Franklin. He'll do you a treat...
Except that I really support the Democratic Party (I was a paid up card carrying member of the British Labour party), just not the current version which is imploding. Hoping to win an election because the Republicans mess up is not enough. The Democratic Party must set out to win the next election, in both houses and at the White House. If Clinton runs for President, the mistakes of the Republican Party will just fade away and they will win big in the middle states, and the Democratic Party will consign itself to remaining a minority party in both houses with a Republican President in the White House for maybe another two election cycles.

Last edited by Franklin; Jul 20th 2005 at 9:20 am.

Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:10 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
Except that I really support the Democratic Party (I was a paid up card carrying member of the British Labour party before moving to the USA and for a few years while living in the USA), just not the current version which is imploding. Hoping to win an election because the Republicans mess up is not enough. The Democratic Party must set out to win the next election, in both houses and at the White House. If Clinton runs for President, the mistakes of the Republican Party will just fade away and they will win big in the middle states, and the Democratic Party will consign itself to remaining a minority party in both houses with a Republican President in the White House for maybe another two election cycles.
I agree, we need to win rather than hoping they lose.

I like Howard Dean a lot, but Vermont? how safe is that!!!
Kerry, from MA..........again safe blue.
The party conference was in Boston ffs.

Instead the party conference should have been in say, Wichita.
with the presidential primaries nominees involving NO-ONE from the upper right corner of the map.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.