Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Building credit as the spouse

Building credit as the spouse

Old Feb 13th 2015, 3:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building credit as the spouse

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I have 2 of those. She said that it doesn't count.
I did a bit more research online and it turns out that it should count. I think I just need to do a bit more work to bring the score up and I'll probably go back to one of our credit card companies and ask them for a card with me as the principal holder.
Just apply for a credit card with who ever and ignore the bank person.

It was the case that they stopped reporting authorised users after the credit crash, but that's not been the case for quite a while now.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

TheNewYorker is an unknown quantity at this point

Your best bet is to try getting a store card in your name (e.g. Macy's or Victoria's Secret). I did that when I had no credit.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 6:35 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheNewYorker
Your best bet is to try getting a store card in your name (e.g. Macy's or Victoria's Secret). I did that when I had no credit.
mmmm Victoria's secret store card.... 2 birds 1 stone
Old Feb 13th 2015, 8:57 pm
Banned

bigbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been here over 10 years and the wife has signed up anything herself. She just gets a card on whatever credit card i sign up for. Is there a way to check her score for free? If not free then what is the best pay site to use?
Old Feb 18th 2015, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

I found that even though my name was on things as co-user ( credit card, car loan which we immediately paid off etc ) it did nothing towards getting me a credit history of my own- and even now when I have a 775 credit score and no debt I still can't get a Kroger credit card because they can't trace my history back long enough
( I've been here since 2001, Green card since 2007, bills in my own name paid promptly for the past 7+ years, US citizen )
I don't need a Kroger credit card, it just makes buying their gas cheaper!

I got my last mortgage easy enough but I put down 25 % deposit.

Without being politically contentious it is something women emigrating on their husband's status need to consider- I found myself starting over again in my forties and was just really lucky to be able to start a viable business. And the fact I didn't have little kids to support whilst starting over- I'm not quite sure how I would proceed if I did.

I can't think that anything I did was wrong. I came here on H1B then a National Interest Waiver which was granted and soon after that I got 'permission to work' in my own right. But until I divorced my husband everything seems to have happened in his name.

But that's also almost 8 years ago so I don't know what it would mean for me now if I applied for a loan or mortgage.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 5:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigbucks
We've been here over 10 years and the wife has signed up anything herself. She just gets a card on whatever credit card i sign up for. Is there a way to check her score for free? If not free then what is the best pay site to use?
credit karma, I've been using them to check basic report and score, it's free for that, and they don't ask for a credit card like other sites do.

Never had an issue with them, and the score and info is accurate.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 5:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward
I found that even though my name was on things as co-user ( credit card, car loan which we immediately paid off etc ) it did nothing towards getting me a credit history of my own- and even now when I have a 775 credit score and no debt I still can't get a Kroger credit card because they can't trace my history back long enough
( I've been here since 2001, Green card since 2007, bills in my own name paid promptly for the past 7+ years, US citizen )
I don't need a Kroger credit card, it just makes buying their gas cheaper!

I got my last mortgage easy enough but I put down 25 % deposit.

Without being politically contentious it is something women emigrating on their husband's status need to consider- I found myself starting over again in my forties and was just really lucky to be able to start a viable business. And the fact I didn't have little kids to support whilst starting over- I'm not quite sure how I would proceed if I did.

I can't think that anything I did was wrong. I came here on H1B then a National Interest Waiver which was granted and soon after that I got 'permission to work' in my own right. But until I divorced my husband everything seems to have happened in his name.

But that's also almost 8 years ago so I don't know what it would mean for me now if I applied for a loan or mortgage.
Works the other way too with husband immigrating for the wife although not nearly as much, but does happen. I was in the same boat after divorce, no credit in my name, everything was in her name. I just now after 7 years finally got approved for a secured capital one card. (I am in Canada though)
Old Feb 18th 2015, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't trying to be sexist @Jsmth231

Hope things are better for you now.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 10:53 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheNewYorker
Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
mmmm Victoria's secret store card.... 2 birds 1 stone
Given that utilization is one factor that will impact your credit score, why not get a store card for a store that you will use often? (e.g. Target). Unless you happen to buy Victoria's Secret underwear regularly, that is.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here 8 months now, married to USC, have SSN, bank account and work authorisation, yet got turned down for secured credit card with my own bank!!!!
Old Feb 20th 2015, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amie06
I have been here 8 months now, married to USC, have SSN, bank account and work authorisation, yet got turned down for secured credit card with my own bank!!!!
Wow. I didn't have that experience- my bank and my credit union both issued me credit cards. But like I say if I apply for a Kroger credit card which I have about three times because it makes buying gas cheaper- they refuse me saying they don't have enough credit history for me! And I've been here 14 years...paid off two mortgages, three car loans etc etc

I've been thinking of buying a place for my son later this year so it will be interesting to see if I'm eligible for a mortgage again.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 1:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amie06
How in the world can they turn down a secured card? You're putting up your own money! That is very odd.

Rene
Old Feb 20th 2015, 5:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
How in the world can they turn down a secured card? You're putting up your own money! That is very odd.

Rene
Oh they do. I was turned down by my own bank when I lived in the US, secured certainly doesn't mean approved by the big banks.

If one finds they can't get approved the first time from a bank like B of A or Wells Fargo and the like, even though they are not the best, they do tend to approve people and have less stringent approval requirements, Capital One. They were the only way I could build credit, they will approve pretty much everyone for a secured card, and many times an unsecured card without any credit history.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
That is what i thought, copy of credit report showed credit rating of ZERO, which is what i expected, that's why i applied for secured card to build credit
Old Feb 21st 2015, 2:32 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

happened to me too. i got turned down for a kohls store card after 5 years here. they sent me a follow up letter and it essentially said it was score based and a good score was x-y, medium was a-b etc and mine was actually written as a zero lol.
so not bad credite - more NO credit.

re the credit card - i know some banks dont allow the co-owner to get in the credit reports (ie chase changed their policy in regard to this in the past few years) but OTHER credit card cos do - so shop around. mmy husband added me to about 4 cards and even though i never even got them out of my purse it did the trick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.