Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Building credit and the jokes!

Building credit and the jokes!

Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Building credit and the jokes!

Folks,

Sometimes I find many things in the US so funny here is a nice example!
When for the first time I entered the country on a work visa with no credit history got a huge loan in 3 days to buy a brand new european car (2.9%!) but now when I want to get a plan for my mobile phone everyone says no credit history and exactly the same problem is hit when want to get a credit card!!

Any ideas? any CC company ?

Cheers,
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building credit and the jokes!

Find a local credit union and go in and have a chat.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbitana
Folks,

Sometimes I find many things in the US so funny here is a nice example!
When for the first time I entered the country on a work visa with no credit history got a huge loan in 3 days to buy a brand new european car (2.9%!) but now when I want to get a plan for my mobile phone everyone says no credit history and exactly the same problem is hit when want to get a credit card!!

Any ideas? any CC company ?

Cheers,
How long ago was that first time on a work visa? Economy and times might have changed since then. If it wasn't so long ago, it's interesting that you got such a huge loan but have no credit history. I would think you'd have a credit history if you did that, unless it was so long ago that it's now off the records.

What is your status now? Are you in the USA with a different status now?

There are lots of posts on how to build your credit in the USA, and a couple of Wiki guides, too. Check out the two links in this link:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:USA_Credit

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely read the wiki and search out past threads, there are loads that'll help you out.

Simple things like secured cards and using AmEx is the way to go, but if you don't already have AmEx, that's a moot point.

Expect to pay lots of deposits, for everything.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Search for AIG International Services. They arranged a credit card via HSBC for me prior to leaving the UK. I also transferred my UK Amex card over via te American Express global transfer scheme.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

BOA suggested a Secure Credit Card to me, you pay between $300-$1000 which they put as the balance on your CC, after 12 months they give you the money back and a proper credit card. The purpose of this is to build up your credit score.

I havent decided as to whether Its the option i will go with. but you might want to talk to the different banks and find out what they can offer you.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

My husband landed in the US on 27th Feb. I am still in the UK with the family, due to go over in June. AIG set him up with HSBC. They have no branches in Houston but the manager happened to be in Houston when my OH called and he came to his office to meet him! OH produced his ID documentation and a letter form his employer re salary etc. At this time he did not yet have his SSN. Within the day OH had new premier account with HSBC. They have also sorted out a CC for him, which he has already (I spoke to him just now and he has just used it for the first time) with a $10,000 limit. The HSBC service has been amazing. I think I did post about this before, so I could well be repeating myself. But it is worth repeating. Fantastic service, thus far at least
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
BOA suggested a Secure Credit Card to me, you pay between $300-$1000 which they put as the balance on your CC, after 12 months they give you the money back and a proper credit card. The purpose of this is to build up your credit score.

I havent decided as to whether Its the option i will go with. but you might want to talk to the different banks and find out what they can offer you.
If you can get one. I've been a B of A customer since I was in high school, and just came back after 5 years in Canada and when I left I had no US credit.

Well tried the secured card route, and denied, insufficient credit history.

I've been denied for 2 secured cards now, seems banks are cracking down big time and making even secured credit difficult to get.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's ridiculous - it's your own damn money!!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lazzza
The HSBC service has been amazing. Fantastic service, thus far at least
Until you try to order anything online with the debit card registered to your US address!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Here's how I did the whole credit card thing about 2 or so years ago:

I applied for a regular credit card (Chase in this instance) and got refused, the letter said not enough credit history. The letter also includes a number to call to ask why your application was refused and you get to talk to someone. The key is to ask for the special mailing address to which you can send further information to support your application.

Next, go to experian.co.uk (very important to be on the UK site as US experian is a different company) and enter enough information of former UK residences etc to get your British credit history. I assume this works for other countries that have their own experians too. You may have to sign up for a free trial membership so remember to cancel that later. Print out/save your British credit history which is hopefully stellar excellent A plus.

Next write a letter to the above address you found quoting any reference numbers relating to your credit application and explaining that you are a recent immigrant who has many years of having excellent credit in the UK and look at all this credit history I printed out from experian UK.

Wait and hopefully you will receive a positive response. In my case I got a card with a slightly lower limit than I originally applied for.

That all being said, my credit history is still too short to please some people.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

We just spent about 3 weeks battling with out local regional bank trying to get my wife a credit card. Ended up canceling the request as they kept asking for copies of our visa's. They were given these copies only for them to say, 'No that's not what we want, we want a copy of your visa'. I tried to enplane that this IS my visa (has VISA written on it!!) but they wouldn't have any of it.

Anyway - went home that night and applied for a capital one credit card. Got approved for $500 after supplying name, address, dob, household income and SS#. Took less than 5 minutes.

$500 is not a lot - but builds up history and we might even be able to get a mortgage in a couple of years time, if we're still here.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all

Capital One has a credit card which is specifically for people with no or limited credit history. It has an annual fee and you'll probably get a ridiculously low limit but it's a start:

http://www.capitalone.com/creditcard...01_T_CP17021LW
Old Mar 29th 2010, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

Originally Posted by traceym
Until you try to order anything online with the debit card registered to your US address!
Why? If we have the account now, with both a debit and a credit card (mastercard - unsecured) why would there be a problem using this?

We just have not had the problems with getting a mortgage, car finance and a credit card that some others have had. Maybe we're just very lucky? OH's employer has written a really good reference/letter. I don't know why we seem to have had it so easy. Fingers crossed this continues

I'll keep you posted on the credit card usage. OH has started to use it, to build our history.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 7:46 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dh010447
Ended up canceling the request as they kept asking for copies of our visa's. They were given these copies only for them to say, 'No that's not what we want, we want a copy of your visa'. I tried to enplane that this IS my visa (has VISA written on it!!) but they wouldn't have any of it.
Do you think they were merely stupid, or taking the piss?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.