Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buffalo/Niagara Falls

Buffalo/Niagara Falls

Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Buffalo/Niagara Falls

We just booked a vacation to Buffalo NY for late September, and we are thinking of visiting Niagara Falls, on the American side (I can't go into Canada yet, no green card).

Do any of you have any info on how to get to the Falls from Buffalo Airport, and is there much to see from the American side of the Falls?

By the way, any info on cheap car hire would be great too.

Thanks in advance!!

Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:39 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buffalo/Niagara Falls

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
We just booked a vacation to Buffalo NY for late September, and we are thinking of visiting Niagara Falls, on the American side (I can't go into Canada yet, no green card).

Do any of you have any info on how to get to the Falls from Buffalo Airport, and is there much to see from the American side of the Falls?

Thanks in advance!!

Did this trip two years ago. Flew into Buffalo, spent the night. (Got out as fast as we could, because the place is a dump) rented a car and drove to Niagara Falls.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...S&1qc=Airports

Hertz gave us a great deal and threw in a GPS for free!

Its only 25 miles from the airport to the falls.

It is a shame you cannot go on the Canadian side, as I found there was much more to see and do on that side.

Then we drove to Toronto. Had a great time.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance!!

We went to Niagra Falls a few years ago (about 5),but we drove up through Michigan and crossed into Canada via Port Huron and drove across Ontario,stayed overnight at St.Catherines,then drove to Niagra the next morning,the Falls are fabulous on the Canadian side,the whole area is very pretty (really reminded me of southern England coastal towns),then we drove back into the US,what a disappointment!...it was dirty,nearly everything was boarded up,just a nasty area altogether,we couldn't get away from it fast enough!,then we drove from there, on the outskirts of everywhere,back home to Central Illinois....maybe it has changed,I know a friend of mine told me that a lot of people used to go to the US side of Niagra Falls to get married.........I found that VERY hard to believe,although it was probably very nice years ago.
Sorry don't know about car hire......Sophia
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:46 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance!!

You can go into the Canadian side if you have advanced parole, maybe even if you have your temp green card...how far along in the immigration game are you? Don't mean to put a downer on things but the American side is shit and you can't see much at all compared to the Canadian side. Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds is a must if you can't go over to Mooseland.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 6:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

get on maid of the mist on the US Side and you'll get as good a view of horseshoe falls as anyone.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 6:32 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Got to agree with the above. US side is a dump and very tacky. It would be worth getting AP just to spend an afternoon in Canada. Again, make sure you get on the boat.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Got to agree with the above. US side is a dump and very tacky. It would be worth getting AP just to spend an afternoon in Canada. Again, make sure you get on the boat.
I went to the Canadian side a couple of months ago. Niagara is a dump and pretty tacky, had to drive out of it to get to the nicer parts. It didn't help that they wanted $18 to park either.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

Go at night - it's kinda cool - they shoot lasers at you n shit

Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Re: Buffalo/Niagara Falls

Originally Posted by Sarah
You can go into the Canadian side if you have advanced parole, maybe even if you have your temp green card...how far along in the immigration game are you? Don't mean to put a downer on things but the American side is shit and you can't see much at all compared to the Canadian side. Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds is a must if you can't go over to Mooseland.

I am waiting for my green card to arrive now. Had my AOS last December, fingerprints taken in May, now just sitting waiting.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

Smile Re: Buffalo/Niagara Falls

Thanks Guys, very helpful replies.

Cheers

Alan

Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:47 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I am waiting for my green card to arrive now. Had my AOS last December, fingerprints taken in May, now just sitting waiting.

It would be cool if you get it soon then. Its nice to have that freedom of movement. If you don't have an AP, its a ball-ache to get it and it costs to file the form (as always)
If you do get to go over to the Canadian side, you can go right up to the drop over point of the falls, you can't get that close on the US side unfortunately, also on the Moose side is the Skylon Tower which is pretty cool, you go up the side of it in a lift shaped like a yellow egg and when you get to the top you have an astonishing view of the falls. Also near to the Skylon Tower is an Imax theatre and in there they have a museum of all the barrels, boats and makeshift crafts that people have built and gone over the falls in. Once you see the falls its staggering to realise that people actually willingly flung themselves over it.
If you can't go over to the Canadian side on the US side there is Goat Island, and a stationary hot air balloon which is anchored to the ground and goes straight up and down to provide people with a better view of the falls.
Also on the US side is an aquarium/seaworld type place with rescued sea lions and seals and some cool marine life. Its not very big but I enjoyed it and you can watch feeding of the seals and stuff.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone is considering going for a weekend or something to the Canadian side, I would highly recommend Century House B&B in Niagara-on-the-lake, www.centuryhousebbniagara.com. Run by an English couple, good location, 10 minutes away from the falls, free bike use, excellent breakfasts and just a very nice and relaxing place to stay. A little pricey but well worth it. Get's booked up very quickly so look into it well in advance.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 1:21 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance!!

Sweetie, listen to me "THE AMERICAN SIDE IS A DUMP!!!". The Canadian side is really great! Figure out how to get across the border, you will be so much happier! 'The old stone Inn' on the Canadian side is nice and also 'Oakes hotel overlooking the falls' it is the closest hotel to the falls so has brilliant views from the upper floors on a good clear day. It also has an 'Applebees' restaurant attached to it which makes for an easy breakfast in the morning. 'The Old Stone Inn' is a B&B and does a full cooked breakfast. I'm telling you, there is tons and TONS of things to do in Niagara Falls, ON versus not much of anything a stones throw away in Niagara Falls NY!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 1:26 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Sweetie, listen to me "THE AMERICAN SIDE IS A DUMP!!!". The Canadian side is really great! Figure out how to get across the border, you will be so much happier! 'The old stone Inn' on the Canadian side is nice and also 'Oakes hotel overlooking the falls' it is the closest hotel to the falls so has brilliant views from the upper floors on a good clear day. It also has an 'Applebees' restaurant attached to it which makes for an easy breakfast in the morning. 'The Old Stone Inn' is a B&B and does a full cooked breakfast. I'm telling you, there is tons and TONS of things to do in Niagara Falls, ON versus not much of anything a stones throw away in Niagara Falls NY!

Just to say, I have been to Niagara, ON twice in the last year and really enjoyed myself both times. In April I took my mum there (for the second time) and other than the obligatory things, we shopped until we dropped as there are some lovely places to do that within walking distance of the falls, superb!
Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I you are in a position to cancel/postpone your trip (many airlines are offering this without penalties because of the Heathrow scare this week) I would until you get the GC. You really need to be on the Canadian side...and do visit Toronto while you're up there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.