Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buffalo Chicken - Simple Question

Buffalo Chicken - Simple Question

Old Feb 8th 2006, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buffalo Chicken - Simple Question

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
oh you'll go to any length to try and prove your point....wasn't curry the most fav dish in England?? Very British

I'm with Mondofarm, I prefer the food here and the variety... i think the drab weather has made U.k food what is it..it's nice to have the oven on all day and have a heavy pudding for afterwards...here your lifestyle ..therefore diet is different...we barbecue lots...something we never did in the u.k...in Louisianna i got to taste gumbo, fried turkey, crawfish..the list goes on and it was all new..here it's chilli and tex mex....when in Rome
believe me there is exactly the same variety in the UK, you just have to look harder, whilst my initial thoughts on the food in the US was that it was fantastic, I now realise what a load of chemical filled, fat and calorie laden rubbish it really is..your avaerage restaurant such as The Olive Garden, Chillis, TGI' s are just gross, The Olive Garden has never ever seen Italian, one Italian we know got up and left when his dinner was served he was so appalled but you get what you pay for, how do you think they cook and serve you a meal for cheaper than it would cost you to buy it in the supermarket???? :scared: The higher end restaurants are wonderful as they are back in the UK but for four of us we'd have to shell out $200 to eat in the Italian we have down the road so we don't go very often, but the rest of them, well I'd be quite happy to never eat there again. As for the choice in Supermarkets, don't even get me started, I'd rather shop in Kwik Save than the utter shite we get here..

and Mondofarm, do you really think you can't buy blue cheese dressing in the UK??? I'm confused.. I lived in Huddersfield for gods sake and now live in LA, the choice in my local co-op was better than here.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 4:53 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
believe me there is exactly the same variety in the UK, you just have to look harder, whilst my initial thoughts on the food in the US was that it was fantastic, I now realise what a load of chemical filled, fat and calorie laden rubbish it really is..your avaerage restaurant such as The Olive Garden, Chillis, TGI' s are just gross,

well we don't eat out much so unhealthy restaurant dishes don't bother me...the Cajun stuff I ate was made by friends and neighbours and it was new and tasted great, my moms group get together and the stuff they cook also is great and they are very health conscious more so than me....I prefer the food I can get here...admittedly you could just as easily make the same stuff in the U.K if you really wanted too...i just think if I'd remained in the U.k i wouldn't have been exposed to the different dishes and I'd be in the rut of cooking meat an' two veg every Sunday :scared:

I do miss a decent bag of fish and chips though

Hormones in milk/meat etc is worrisome though...if only hormone free meat was readily available in the local grocery store...even if it was more expensive I'd occasionally buy it..as a consumer you really are in the dark unless you educate yourself and like I said alternatives are pricey.

Last edited by Celtic_Angel; Feb 8th 2006 at 5:00 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:01 pm
Banned

MondoFarm is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Huddersfield for gods sake and now live in LA, the choice in my local co-op was better than here.

Really? I'm amazed you say that. Or, do you just mean you couldn't find marmite in LA?

Nope, never seen blue cheese dressing in Kwik Save.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MondoFarm
Really? I'm amazed you say that. Or, do you just mean you couldn't find marmite in LA?

No, she's right. Once you get past the row upon row of cookies, sugary breakfast cereals, candy bars and convinience crap the supermarkets here have much lower choice than UK ones.

Try Tesco or Sainsbury then:

http://www.sainsburystoyou.com/webco...l_6_id=2811683

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Feb 8th 2006 at 5:10 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MondoFarm

no really I'm being deadly serious and yes I can find Marmite at my local English shop down the road..
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

well we don't eat out much so unhealthy restaurant dishes don't bother me...the Cajun stuff I ate was made by friends and neighbours and it was new and tasted great, my moms group get together and the stuff they cook also is great and they are very health conscious more so than me....I prefer the food I can get here...admittedly you could just as easily make the same stuff in the U.K if you really wanted too...i just think if I'd remained in the U.k i wouldn't have been exposed to the different dishes and I'd be in the rut of cooking meat an' two veg every Sunday :scared:

I do miss a decent bag of fish and chips though

Hormones in milk/meat etc is worrisome though...if only hormone free meat was readily available in the local grocery store...even if it was more expensive I'd occasionally buy it..as a consumer you really are in the dark unless you educate yourself and like I said alternatives are pricey.
Go to the site that Izabear posted yesterday www.themeatrix.com, its gives you links to shops in your area that sell decent hormone free meat that are raised on local farms, I discovered store just down the road that I've driven past a million times sells just that and its no more expensive than my local supermarket..
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
No, she's right. Once you get past the row upon row of cookies, sugary breakfast cereals, candy bars and convinience crap the supermarkets here have much lower choice than UK ones.
Depends. When living in Houston, seem to recall Fiesta having a great selection, and where my wife comes from (Rochester NY) there's Wegmans, which certainly would have blown away my local Sainsbury's in Brighton.

Here in CT, however, would tend to agree with you. Stop&Shop, ShopRite, Big Y etc are, well, crap...we're just hoping one day Wegmans will arrive.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:45 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the site that Izabear posted yesterday www.themeatrix.com, its gives you links to shops in your area that sell decent hormone free meat that are raised on local farms, I discovered store just down the road that I've driven past a million times sells just that and its no more expensive than my local supermarket..
I checked that out yesterday and couldn't find the list ....cos you did mention it...i'll take another peek
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of places to get the meat, but it ain't half pricey...and the milk, $2.20 a pint plus a $2 deposit on the bottle...but it's worth it because I'm allergic to the hormones they put in the usual milk.

Silk Soy and Rice Dreams are good healthy alternatives to milk though
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Here in CT, however, would tend to agree with you. Stop&Shop, ShopRite, Big Y etc are, well, crap...we're just hoping one day Wegmans will arrive.
There's a few decent health stores that are well stocked if you can find them, but not as cheap as the usual grocery stores, which is a problem
BE Forum Addict

I checked that out yesterday and couldn't find the list ....cos you did mention it...i'll take another peek
you have to watch the whole video thing at the start then it lets you go into other parts of the site, I'll have another look myself and try to find it..
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

no really I'm being deadly serious and yes I can find Marmite at my local English shop down the road..
Hell, I've seen it here in GA on the shelves at Publix.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

found it..

http://www.eatwellguide.org/
Old Feb 8th 2006, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

eatwild.com is another great one if you're looking for pasture fed, antibiotic free meat/eggs/dairy.

It is often either the same price, or a few dimes more, to get it directly from the farmers. Thing is you often have to buy in bulk - 10 lbs ground beef..etc.., but worth it to purchase an extra freezer, or break them up with friends.

woodsey, we all fell into the, 'food tastes so much better here' trap, until you start educating yourself on what hydrogenated oils which are in EVERYTHING for example, are doing to the population.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:04 pm
Back Again

Originally Posted by izibear
eatwild.com is another great one if you're looking for pasture fed, antibiotic free meat/eggs/dairy.

It is often either the same price, or a few dimes more, to get it directly from the farmers. Thing is you often have to buy in bulk - 10 lbs ground beef..etc.., but worth it to purchase an extra freezer, or break them up with friends.

woodsey, we all fell into the, 'food tastes so much better here' trap, until you start educating yourself on what hydrogenated oils which are in EVERYTHING for example, are doing to the population.
hmm i buy ground beef in bulk anyway...I took a look at the link...i already knew about Whole Foods ..I've never gone in cos I've heard it's expensive..i saw HEB on there too...which will be much cheaper unfortunately is not the one near me and they only do eggs and milk, whereas whole foods has a great meat selection.( I thought it was all grains and flaxseed )

I guess I could buy the stuff once in a while....and just eat the hormone laden stuff that was scraped up from the slaughterhouse floor the rest of the time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.