British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   BT Landline handsets (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bt-landline-handsets-795227/)

anipilot Apr 26th 2013 11:56 am

BT Landline handsets

Does anyone know if BT Landline handsets work in the US? We have a really nice handset that has a lot of our friends and family numbers stored and we are running out of time whilst on our move

rpjs Apr 26th 2013 12:16 pm

Re: BT Landline handsets

Originally Posted by anipilot (Post 10679444)
Does anyone know if BT Landline handsets work in the US? We have a really nice handset that has a lot of our friends and family numbers stored and we are running out of time whilst on our move

You'd certainly need some sort of adapter as the sockets are different here. Possible the tones used to dial numbers are different too, and I wouldn't bet on features like caller ID working. You'd also have to reprogramme all your UK contact numbers to add the US international dialling prefix.

Jerseygirl Apr 26th 2013 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 10679472)
You'd certainly need some sort of adapter as the sockets are different here. Possible the tones used to dial numbers are different too, and I wouldn't bet on features like caller ID working. You'd also have to reprogramme all your UK contact numbers to add the US international dialling prefix.

Plus the voltage is different...I wouldn't have thought UK landline phones have dual voltage.

Anipilot...multi handset phones are as cheap as chips here.

rpjs Apr 26th 2013 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10679481)
Plus the voltage is different...I wouldn't have thought UK landline phones have dual voltage.

Yes, good point. if its a cordless or has an answerphone then you'd need to check that the power supply will work on 110V. I don't know if the operating voltage of the phone system is different between the US and the UK but it's usually pretty low so probably less of a problem.

Anipilot...multi handset phones are as cheap as chips here.
We have a lovely refurbed 1940s rotary dial phone that we brought over but we never got round to getting an adaptor as it seemed to be a huge palaver. Can't bear to part with the phone though... We rarely use our landline - only the M-i-L ever calls us on it. I use Skype on my cell phone to call the UK.

Jerseygirl Apr 26th 2013 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 10679505)
Yes, good point. if its a cordless or has an answerphone then you'd need to check that the power supply will work on 110V. I don't know if the operating voltage of the phone system is different between the US and the UK but it's usually pretty low so probably less of a problem.

We have a lovely refurbed 1940s rotary dial phone that we brought over but we never got round to getting an adaptor as it seemed to be a huge palaver. Can't bear to part with the phone though... We rarely use our landline - only the M-i-L ever calls us on it. I use Skype on my cell phone to call the UK.

Half the stuff we brought over 17 years ago has never been used. Just got around to throwing it all out in the last few weeks.

Nokoman Apr 26th 2013 2:54 pm

I would imagine some kids today might say " What's a land-line! "