Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brooklyn public schools and Brooklyn generally

Brooklyn public schools and Brooklyn generally

Old Apr 19th 2019, 4:22 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brooklyn public schools and Brooklyn generally

In NY, charters are not allowed to be for profit. Success Academy charter schools - of which there are 47 schools in NYC - perform MUCH better than the public schools, exceeding even those that have an affluent population. My daughter has been in her school for nearly 5 years and she is getting an amazing education with maths being taught a grade above. There are thousands of families on waiting lists to get into these schools, so I guess charters do vary from state to state, but in NY they are a lot better than most of the publics.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Being a Not For Profit does not itself make much difference, just limits the ways you make money. For example you take income rather than dividends.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there are plenty who make a profit from 'non-profit' organizations.
One of the best ways to make money if you can swing it.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Posie
In response to the previous post it is a comfortable salary by NY standards - nearly double our current income.
Please make sure you have taken the time to assess whether the salary is comfortable based on likely expenses in New York.

Do not base your judgement by comparing the New York salary to your current North Yorkshire salary. The cost of living can be a shock here. And doubling your current income could still leave you with substantially lower spending power.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 7:00 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rosie Posie;12673133]Thank you so much kateinbrooklyn. When we visited last year we had a long chat with the parent liaison worker at one of the schools we visited and we too found it rather complicated and difficult to understand. From what I can tell charters are better and a little bit more like the UK schools in terms of the school day and uniform etc. But i don't think we'll have much of a choice as our visa will only allow us to move a maximum of 1 month before my husband's new job starts. As i understand it you have to be living in the district and apply for the school place a year in advance?? I imagine this will also rule out charter schools which are highly sought after? That's why we are focusing on finding an area to live in with good schools generally, as we may just be placed in whichever is our nearest school. So a few suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
At least that's what I think was explained to us at the meeting.

Yes - you do need to be living in the district as applications for next school year for charters are now closed. The elementary schools I know that are good are: PS29 John Harrigan, PS58 The Carroll School and PS321 William Penn, but I only know those because they are in my neigborhood. There are probably good schools in Bay Ridge, but I don't know what they are. I wish I could be more help. My advice would be to find some local parent groups on Facebook and ask questions there.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 11:12 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

We used used this site for research:
https://www.greatschools.org/
But for zoning you should check official city /town site and not depend on Zillow etc as they can be inaccurate and if you are picking based on school zone you need to get it right!

We were in Williamsburg Brooklyn and the local schools were not great, so we ended up moving out to Fairfield county CT.
Old May 11th 2019, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

mogwayCZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Try <<<SNIP>>> (I'm not allowed to post urls, sorry) for more accurate results as school rating, demographic, etc.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 11th 2019 at 12:43 pm. Reason: Website name removed
Old May 20th 2019, 4:26 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
How much? A comfortable getting by, $120+?

And you think charters are better? Highly sought after?
Why on earth would you think that?
Charters are businesses. They want your $$$. Education is the least of their concerns.

(Admittedly, perhaps they're different over there. I'd like to know.)
This is a highly debatable statement.

To the OP: you need to triangulate what you can afford and where you want to live with the specific school district for the housing. There are ~2.7 million people in Brooklyn, it's a large city in itself. People are not going to be able to answer this question succinctly because the schools and cost of specific neighborhoods can vary widely. Also, most anything nice in Brooklyn is not cheap.
Old May 20th 2019, 5:31 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Brooklyn but from years of experience in "expatland" my advice would be to ask your future colleagues what they do about this. It sounds like the HQ will be full of people that have been through exactly the same process and will have similar salaries, they'll also have to have worked out commute vs cost issue. If you know that you won't stay in the city, then I probably wouldn't start there - try to find somewhere that you might like to stay longer term. From my work, I know that most people will not move too far from the place they start out in when they have kids.
Moving schools again. Try very hard to avoid doing this, especially for your eldest child. You don't state her age but it sounds like she is a high schooler and moving school districts can be almost as problematic as moving countries. Never mind all the kids having to make another set of friends in a new environment. Whilst home-schooling may seem like a good option, it deprives your eldest of social interaction with her peers at an age when she really needs it. If you are still on the R visa when the time comes for university applications then you should be ok with getting UK domestic fee rates, if you have GCs then she will almost definitely be assessed as international applicant which is a whole other ball game. Not necessarily more expensive than the US but not much cheaper either.