Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selling UK Propety - Obtain certified copies of UK passport and proof of address

Selling UK Propety - Obtain certified copies of UK passport and proof of address

Old May 18th 2019, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

amyers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling UK Propety - Obtain certified copies of UK passport and proof of address

Hi,
We are in the process of selling a property in the UK but we are resident in the USA. We are not planning to travel to the UK but the UK estate agents need proof of identify and address before the sale could complete. What is the best way to provide this information from the USA. We need some form of certified copy of a UK passport and certified proof of address. Who can provide this service of certified documents or otherwise how do we resolve this issue?

Anyone who has sold a UK property from the USA how did you resolve this issue?

many thanks,
Andrew
Old May 18th 2019, 2:32 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling UK Propety - Obtain certified copies of UK passport and proof of add

Take a copy of your passports (and the original) to your local bank. They will certify the copy for you. For proof of address also take an original utility bill, bank or credit card statement that is less than 3 months old (a joint one with both your names or individual ones with each name) and they will certify that also. If you are online only, they usually accept a printed PDF copy in lieu of the original. Basically anywhere with a notary public can perform this service, almost every bank or credit union in the USA will do it, usually free if you are a member or client, but for a nominal fee otherwise.

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; May 18th 2019 at 2:37 pm.
Old May 18th 2019, 2:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling UK Propety - Obtain certified copies of UK passport and proof of add

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
Take a copy of your passports (and the original) to your local bank. They will certify the copy for you. For proof of address also take an original utility bill, bank or credit card statement (a joint one with both your names or individual ones with each name) and they will certify that also. If you are online only, they usually accept a printed PDF copy in lieu of the original. Basically anywhere with a notary public can perform this service, almost every bank or credit union in the USA will do it, usually free if you are a member or client, but for a nominal fee otherwise.
The problem is a US notary can be anyone and is dog. In the UK a notary must be a qualified solicitor or barrister. I ran into this problem when selling my UK house. I then had the document notorised by a qualified solicitor. I would the agent if a bank employee will suffice.
Old May 18th 2019, 2:38 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Notary worked for me!
Old May 18th 2019, 2:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
Notary worked for me!
Maybe the agent will accept a bank employee...but technically/by law the would not be an acceptable notary in the UK.
Old May 20th 2019, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Russet has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond repute

When I spoke to a Notary about Certifying a Marriage Certificate as a true copy of the original they had no clue what I was asking. There seems to be no equivalent here to getting a certified copy of something. When I explained exactly what was required the Notary stated that they were unable to process this type of request. They are licensed to certify someones signature, made in the presence of the Notary and by checking ID confirm that the person, in their presence signed the required document.
Old May 20th 2019, 9:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amyers
Hi,
We are in the process of selling a property in the UK but we are resident in the USA. We are not planning to travel to the UK but the UK estate agents need proof of identify and address before the sale could complete. ….
I am not sure why the estate agents need that. I had a discussion with my solicitor and, after discussing options to complete the sale when I was in the US, I arranged for the contract to be signed under a PoA held by the solicitor..
Old May 20th 2019, 10:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russet
When I spoke to a Notary about Certifying a Marriage Certificate as a true copy of the original they had no clue what I was asking. There seems to be no equivalent here to getting a certified copy of something. When I explained exactly what was required the Notary stated that they were unable to process this type of request. They are licensed to certify someones signature, made in the presence of the Notary and by checking ID confirm that the person, in their presence signed the required document.
I find that interesting, because I am a notary and I have done exactly that in the past. I look at the original document, I look at the photocopy, make sure they are the same, and then I sign the photocopy with a statement saying this is a true copy of the original document.

Rene
Old May 20th 2019, 10:31 pm
Furby

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I find that interesting, because I am a notary and I have done exactly that in the past. I look at the original document, I look at the photocopy, make sure they are the same, and then I sign the photocopy with a statement saying this is a true copy of the original document.

Rene
Noorah confirms my experiences. Over the years, for a variety of reasons I have had to have numerous documents certified as a true copy of the original. I made a copy, wrote "Certified as a true copy of the original" and asked the notary to sign and stamp underneath that statement (after inspecting the original of course). I have never had an issue with any of the notaries that I have used, or at the UK end of things either, and I have dealt with several of the major financial institutions, property sales, and settlement of an estate with UK based solicitors. They all accepted the copies without question. Try the notary approach first. It is inexpensive and fast. In my experience a notary public is a very accepted method of certifying documents for the UK.
Old May 21st 2019, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russet
That's what they said to me too, and refused to look at the original. They had me write and sign that the copy was the same as the original, and certified my signature. The documents were accepted by the people I needed them for.
Old May 21st 2019, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Varies per state, details here https://www.asnnotary.org/?form=cert...tedphotocopies