Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brits are horrible tourists--European Hotels

Wikiposts

Brits are horrible tourists--European Hotels

Old May 26th 2007, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits are horrible tourists--European Hotels

Originally Posted by Rete
that would only make me sick.

Personally I don't drink much alcohol anymore. A bottle of wine a year over the course of a year. Gave it up in my early 30's when I saw that it does nothing to enhance your life but alters your sense of good judgment and gives you a hangover the next morning.

So I'm familiar with both sides of the argument.
i hardly ever drink. Being married to an AA person. Who goes to three meetings a week and meeting the other people that go to these meetings.DAMN FRIGHTENING! he has not drunk in 17 years, so all pretty confusing. But hearing the stories about his drinking years... wow! Even more frightening the judge who married us goes to these meetings too, Our doctor a personal friend goes to these meetings. Our lawyer, yup these meetings too.

I never can understand the fun of getting drunk, puking and then waking up the next day thinking ur life has ended...
Old May 26th 2007, 7:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
It doesn't enhance your life? It has enhanced people's lives for millenia. Nothing quite like sitting around with a good Burgundy, candlelight and some good friends. You need to visit the continent some time.
Absolutely!

I have a couple of glasses of wine most days, plus the odd Cointreau. I probably was about 12 or 13 when my parents started to let me have half a glass of wine with Sunday lunch.

I have never, in my whole life got drunk. There was one occasion, in Frascati , when I did get rather tipsy. (It is possible that some of the locals still remember the cute British lass who was doing cartwheels in the street - to prove that I was *not* drunk )

One thing that I cannot understand about the British way of life is why so many people seem to want to get drunk.

Though I suspect the media probably exaggerate the problem because, even though I lived most of my life in what would be classified as 'inner city London' (albeit the smart part ) - within easy walking distance of quite a few pubs - I rarely heard or encountered any drunks.
Old May 26th 2007, 8:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Absolutely!

I have a couple of glasses of wine most days, plus the odd Cointreau. I probably was about 12 or 13 when my parents started to let me have half a glass of wine with Sunday lunch.

I have never, in my whole life got drunk. There was one occasion, in Frascati , when I did get rather tipsy. (It is possible that some of the locals still remember the cute British lass who was doing cartwheels in the street - to prove that I was *not* drunk )

One thing that I cannot understand about the British way of life is why so many people seem to want to get drunk.

Though I suspect the media probably exaggerate the problem because, even though I lived most of my life in what would be classified as 'inner city London' (albeit the smart part ) - within easy walking distance of quite a few pubs - I rarely heard or encountered any drunks.
We always used to think it was the British opening hours. Down as many as you can...while you can.
Old May 26th 2007, 8:03 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13

I never can understand the fun of getting drunk, puking and then waking up the next day thinking ur life has ended...
Neither do I. Or the 'encouragement' of others to drink to excess or the thinking its funny getting people to drink high amount of shots etc..never heard of alcohol poisoning I suppose
Which is why I like the European way of drinking....little and often.

Never been drunk in my life and never want to be.
Old May 26th 2007, 9:14 am
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

And unfortunately, an American youth partying hard still can't match a Brit partying on an any day night.

They have much to learn about drinking themselves into oblivion and puking up their guts in the gutters along the way home.
Are you taking the piss? Ever seen a Florida beach area during spring break?
Old May 26th 2007, 11:18 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I can do all of that without the Burgundy which I never liked anyway. One doesn't need alcohol to enjoy life and friends.

Last edited by Rete; May 26th 2007 at 11:21 am.
Old May 26th 2007, 11:20 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, I'm quoting from all the Brits here that love to tell us all about their drunken nights ;-)

Spring break is a once a year affair, it would appear from many Brits own mouths that their love affair with alcohol and getting pissed is a weekly if not nightly thing.
Old May 26th 2007, 11:40 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I can do all of that without the Burgundy which I never liked anyway. One doesn't need alcohol to enjoy life and friends.
But it's so civilized.
Old May 26th 2007, 11:45 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Nope, I'm quoting from all the Brits here that love to tell us all about their drunken nights ;-)

Spring break is a once a year affair, it would appear from many Brits own mouths that their love affair with alcohol and getting pissed is a weekly if not nightly thing.
Rete, please don't tell me that American 18-25 year olds are teetoalers. The vast majority go to college so they can party hearty for 4 years. College here is about drinking, making friends and partying, not about academics for most kids.

Universities here are even rated as to partying!
Old May 26th 2007, 11:46 am
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

But it's so civilized.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/south...ism.shtml:eek:
Old May 26th 2007, 11:47 am
Account Closed

But it's so civilized.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/south...oholism.shtml:
Old May 26th 2007, 11:48 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southern comfort
Your link doesn't work
Old May 26th 2007, 11:48 am
Account Closed

try again lol
Old May 26th 2007, 11:49 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Rete speaks the truth ! I too have seen many Brits indulge in drinking on an hourly basis and it is time that this was addressed. Thank you Rete.
Old May 26th 2007, 11:50 am
Account Closed

Rete, please don't tell me that American 18-25 year olds are teetoalers. The vast majority go to college so they can party hearty for 4 years. College here is about drinking, making friends and partying, not about academics for most kids.

Universities here are even rated as to partying!
and you met every college kid ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.