Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brits are horrible tourists--European Hotels

Brits are horrible tourists--European Hotels

Old May 25th 2007, 1:08 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brits are horrible tourists--European Hotels

New survey shows Brits are some of the worst tourists in Europe, taking near the top in categories like worst dressed, stingy tippers, and worst food selection. But overall they've moved to 5th worst, whereas they used to be 1st. Russians, Indians and Chinese have helped push Brits down the list a bit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ntourism23.xml

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...enComment=true
Old May 25th 2007, 1:35 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits are horrible tourists--European Hotels

I avoid Brit Tourist spots when I'm abroad....but then I also avoid German, French, Russian, Indian......
Old May 25th 2007, 1:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As with everything, it's all about location, you go to the shittest of locations, you'll find the worst of people....be interesting to see the correlation of chartered/package holiday resorts v none.
Old May 25th 2007, 2:52 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
As with everything, it's all about location, you go to the shittest of locations, you'll find the worst of people....be interesting to see the correlation of chartered/package holiday resorts v none.
Someone raised the point on another board that most of the Americans who can afford to go to Europe and take the time off tend to be a bitter better educated and mannered than say those who hop a £19 return flight to Amsterdam from Standstead on EasyJet.
Old May 25th 2007, 6:29 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
go to costa rica you will meet some great brits, into conservation, adventurous types. but sadly costa rica attracts the white trash of america.
Old May 25th 2007, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
go to costa rica you will meet some great brits, into conservation, adventurous types. but sadly costa rica attracts the white trash of america.
white trash travels
Old May 26th 2007, 6:06 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Someone raised the point on another board that most of the Americans who can afford to go to Europe and take the time off tend to be a bitter better educated and mannered than say those who hop a £19 return flight to Amsterdam from Standstead on EasyJet.
What about the American students who visit Europe during "spring break"? They party hard on their vacations overseas.
Old May 26th 2007, 6:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
What about the American students who visit Europe during "spring break"? They party hard on their vacations overseas.
And unfortunately, an American youth partying hard still can't match a Brit partying on an any day night.

They have much to learn about drinking themselves into oblivion and puking up their guts in the gutters along the way home.
Old May 26th 2007, 6:48 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly chavs from the uk have about as much disposable cash as doctors from Eastern Europe which means they can afford to roam abroad in their Liverpool or Man City shirts giving our country a bad name but gippos from other countries and hicks from the USA don't have enough cash to do the same due to exchange rates/lack of free cash from the Labour party.
Old May 26th 2007, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
And unfortunately, an American youth partying hard still can't match a Brit partying on an any day night.

They have much to learn about drinking themselves into oblivion and puking up their guts in the gutters along the way home.
I took robert to amsterdam last year, it was amazing! Especially the young guy that fell out of the bar puked his guts up and walked back in the bar for seconds. Robert stood there mouth open wide. Puts a new meaning to u know ur a redneck when!!!!!!
Old May 26th 2007, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I think all Brit kids should spend a couple of summers in Portugal so they learn how not to drink to excess *wink*

Start them off at around 7 or 8, drinking watered down wine at the table. They learn at home, so that when they're 18, they don't go wild and drink everything that's put in front of them. Another trick we learned is to eat a substantial meal before hitting the pubs - that'll keep you sober
Old May 26th 2007, 7:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

that would only make me sick.

Personally I don't drink much alcohol anymore. A bottle of wine a year over the course of a year. Gave it up in my early 30's when I saw that it does nothing to enhance your life but alters your sense of good judgment and gives you a hangover the next morning.

So I'm familiar with both sides of the argument.
Old May 26th 2007, 7:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I think all Brit kids should spend a couple of summers in Portugal so they learn how not to drink to excess *wink*

Start them off at around 7 or 8, drinking watered down wine at the table. They learn at home, so that when they're 18, they don't go wild and drink everything that's put in front of them. Another trick we learned is to eat a substantial meal before hitting the pubs - that'll keep you sober
Yep my friend was brought up in Belguim...from being a small girl a glass of wine with lunch and dinner were normal.

On the continent where bars are open 24 hrs you tend not to see drunks staggering around...unless they're British tourists.
Old May 26th 2007, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
that would only make me sick.

Personally I don't drink much alcohol anymore. A bottle of wine a year over the course of a year. Gave it up in my early 30's when I saw that it does nothing to enhance your life but alters your sense of good judgment and gives you a hangover the next morning.

So I'm familiar with both sides of the argument.
It doesn't enhance your life? It has enhanced people's lives for millenia. Nothing quite like sitting around with a good Burgundy, candlelight and some good friends. You need to visit the continent some time.
Old May 26th 2007, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yep my friend was brought up in Belguim...from being a small girl a glass of wine with lunch and dinner were normal.

On the continent where bars are open 24 hrs you tend not to see drunks staggering around...unless they're British tourists.
Actually, therein might like the problem too. But still, if you know it is going to close at 11, 2 should be more than enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.