Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

britishcornershop.co.uk

britishcornershop.co.uk

Old Aug 12th 2006, 10:27 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Default britishcornershop.co.uk

Has anyone used this website before to get food shipped over? We are due to go back to the UK in September for 10 days and last year we brought everything we wanted back with us. However, in light of the new travel restrictions we figured they would be much stricter and we may get pulled up with suitcases full of food.

We found this Website and the prices and shipping seems reasonable but we wondered if anyone had any feedback on the Website. We sometimes find with Myers of Keswick in NYC the best before's are very short - we want to make sure we are not buying stuff that goes off in a month - anyone know?

Thanks in advance
Chandler
Old Aug 13th 2006, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: britishcornershop.co.uk

Originally Posted by Chandler
Has anyone used this website before to get food shipped over? We are due to go back to the UK in September for 10 days and last year we brought everything we wanted back with us. However, in light of the new travel restrictions we figured they would be much stricter and we may get pulled up with suitcases full of food.

We found this Website and the prices and shipping seems reasonable but we wondered if anyone had any feedback on the Website. We sometimes find with Myers of Keswick in NYC the best before's are very short - we want to make sure we are not buying stuff that goes off in a month - anyone know?

Thanks in advance
Chandler
40 quid to ship upto 30kg?
does that sound expensive
Old Aug 13th 2006, 2:52 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

I bring stuff back all the time. All food goes into a cardboard box, well packed with bubble wrap (and jars, extra wrapped). It all goes in the hold of the plane as checked baggage

ALL Checked baggage is scanned so no problem bringing over. It's the cheapest way (i.e. free), even a couple of boxes we've brought over, going through 3 plane holds, it's always survived.

Extrs security does NOT effect cehcked baggage. You can even check toothpaste
Old Aug 13th 2006, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

jezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant future

Thanks in advance
Chandler
I've used these guys, everything turned up as ordered but it is expensive shipping, especially when ordering Baked Beans and Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Puds.........
Old Aug 13th 2006, 4:49 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
Chandler
We use them occasionally and they are good but expensive. Another one which is just as good is British Goods on Line. They don't have as much though.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 11:25 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

With the exchange rate as it is everything just looks so expensive. 24 cans of Carling 20 odd quid plus shipping :scared: leave me out of that.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 11:41 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

They get you one way or the other. The british based ones get you on the shipping, and the US ones kill you on the product pricing. Some supermarkets sell a few imports, and its worth asking them if they can get other stuff or if you can buy stuff by the case...or plan ahead and bring it over yourself.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 4:27 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jezebel
I've used these guys, everything turned up as ordered but it is expensive shipping, especially when ordering Baked Beans and Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Puds.........
Was thinking of using them myself, but noticed the bit in their Ts&Cs about needing to be in to accept delivery - this is impossible for me.

Do you know if they'll just leave the stuff outside if you want them to?

E-mailed this question to them myself but not heard back yet, and am getting twitchy now at the thought of ordering all that luvverly stuff!
Old Aug 14th 2006, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jezebel
They shipped you beef products?
Old Aug 15th 2006, 2:47 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Was thinking of using them myself, but noticed the bit in their Ts&Cs about needing to be in to accept delivery - this is impossible for me.

Do you know if they'll just leave the stuff outside if you want them to?

E-mailed this question to them myself but not heard back yet, and am getting twitchy now at the thought of ordering all that luvverly stuff!
Bugger - just had their reply and it turns out you do have to be in to accept delivery - no exceptions.

The wife and i both work, and the neighbours keep irregular hours. Has anyone used any of the other postal food services that use a carrier that doesn't require a signature - just leave it in the porch instead.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

debbie#1 will become famous soon enoughdebbie#1 will become famous soon enough

BritishDepot.com based in Florida ship using Fedex - both times I have used them I have not had to sign anything - they have a good variety and not too expensive - hope this helps

Bugger - just had their reply and it turns out you do have to be in to accept delivery - no exceptions.

The wife and i both work, and the neighbours keep irregular hours. Has anyone used any of the other postal food services that use a carrier that doesn't require a signature - just leave it in the porch instead.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 4:03 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by debbie#1
BritishDepot.com based in Florida ship using Fedex - both times I have used them I have not had to sign anything - they have a good variety and not too expensive - hope this helps
Thanks - I'll check them out!
Old Aug 15th 2006, 4:09 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of other stores in the USA that come out cheaper than the one you are looking at. Shop around.

As for delivery, I usually have everything shipped to my office. They don't mind.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:32 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by rincewind
There are plenty of other stores in the USA that come out cheaper than the one you are looking at. Shop around.

As for delivery, I usually have everything shipped to my office. They don't mind.
Lucky for you! Back in the UK I could have anything shipped to my place of work - no worries whatsoever. However in the US arm of the company the post room gestapo won't have any of it - they'll refuse to accept anything that just might be personal.

I've done a spot of Googling and found about a million websites offering to sell me a jar of Pataks for 6 bucks plus a small fortune in shipping. Can anyone who's been doing this for a while share a resonably-priced and reliable recommendation?

Also, does anyone have anything bought, boxed up and sent by friends and relatives in the UK? Was wondering how that compared...
Old Aug 15th 2006, 9:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've done a spot of Googling and found about a million websites offering to sell me a jar of Pataks for 6 bucks plus a small fortune in shipping. Can anyone who's been doing this for a while share a resonably-priced and reliable recommendation?

Also, does anyone have anything bought, boxed up and sent by friends and relatives in the UK? Was wondering how that compared...
Pataks, you'll find that in loads of grocery stores for less tbh...

and sending stuff from the UK, usually ain't any problems if it ain't fresh goods, can be shipped on the slow boat...meat products are a no though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.