Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British TV Set problems - Can anyone help

British TV Set problems - Can anyone help

Old Dec 24th 2003, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Gary3707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation British TV Set problems - Can anyone help

We have just moved to Texas fom the UK and hane brought over a British TV, Playstation, video, etc. Using a Reverse Converter from Radio Shack I have managed to get the Playstation & video to work but the TV just wont kick into action. There is power going to the TV but when the picture kicks in the set just "crashes". We do noy want to use the TV to receive US signals, meerly as a monitor for our britsh playstaion etc. Can anyone offer any advice or is the TV a dead duck. (my kids are going to kill me because the UK playstation is not compatable with a US TV. Help. Cheers, Gary.
Old Dec 24th 2003, 5:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British TV Set problems - Can anyone help

Originally posted by Gary3707
Can anyone offer any advice or is the TV a dead duck.
Stick the TV and Playstation with the games on EBAY and get whatever you can for them.
Use whatever money you get from that to buy new/secondhand US ready material.
Old Dec 24th 2003, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Nice one!!! Thanks (I think!)
Old Dec 24th 2003, 6:57 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously Gary I really think any other way would be throwing good money at bad stuff.
If you intend to settle here, then may as well start from scratch because any new games you buy here will not work on a PAL playstation.
Old Dec 24th 2003, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, get rid of it all and start again. There are some great deals on playstations at the moment. When we arrived in Texas earlier in the year we thought about getting converters etc for the kids gamecube but in the end when you looked at the prices we were talking about it just seemed to make more sense to buy a new one.

Plus of course all the new games will be compatible whereas with your Brit system you would have to wait for things to release in the UK.

As for televisions, we bought a 32 inch JVC one from Costco recently for just $299 which we are pretty happy with.

Even with the cheaper prices on a lot of electrical goods here it does take a while to replace everything unless you are loaded but if you are planning to stay it makes more sense in the long run.

Last edited by snorkmaiden; Dec 24th 2003 at 7:40 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2003, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

We have already bought US TV's and X Box etc, but we have lots of family videos that we wont be able to see again, all because we cant get a British TV to somehow work.

I appreciate your comments and we do intend to stay here, its just the hundreds of vidoes we have and you can't get some playstation 2 games in the US that my kids like.

Thanks again. Gary
Old Dec 24th 2003, 7:38 pm
@matthewb76

Gary, get a multi region VCR.
Old Dec 24th 2003, 7:43 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

We have already bought US TV's and X Box etc, but we have lots of family videos that we wont be able to see again, all because we cant get a British TV to somehow work.
You can get your videos converted really cheaply or even better yet, have them put onto DVD.
Old Dec 24th 2003, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Have you done a search of the boards Gary because I am sure this subject was covered in some detail a while ago.

I didn't bother with the converters but you can get the multi region vcr's and dvd players.

If you stick around I'm sure someone will have used one and might be able to help you out.
Old Dec 25th 2003, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate them. A multi region VCR cerainly would solve one problem. Thanks again for your time to any one who replied. Cheers
Old Dec 25th 2003, 1:21 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: British TV Set problems - Can anyone help

It might be the 50Hz/60Hz issue. Some TVs rely on the 50Hz frequency for timing circuitry. The US has 60Hz mains power so although you can change the Mains Voltage with your Radio Shack converter, the 60Hz remains.

We have just moved to Texas fom the UK and hane brought over a British TV, Playstation, video, etc. Using a Reverse Converter from Radio Shack I have managed to get the Playstation & video to work but the TV just wont kick into action. There is power going to the TV but when the picture kicks in the set just "crashes". We do noy want to use the TV to receive US signals, meerly as a monitor for our britsh playstaion etc. Can anyone offer any advice or is the TV a dead duck. (my kids are going to kill me because the UK playstation is not compatable with a US TV. Help. Cheers, Gary.
Old Dec 25th 2003, 11:23 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get PAL/NTSC video recorders and TVs. My Sony does the job nicely. They will pay back UK vids and playstation games as well as US vids and TV stations.
Old Dec 26th 2003, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British TV Set problems - Can anyone help

If you are going to buy another TV, my advice is to look at multisystem TVs since you said that you wanted to get a UK playstation to work AND be able to play your family videos.

I use a signal converter between the TV and a device (such as a camcorder or between the American VCR/DVD and a British VCR).
Old Dec 26th 2003, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

That sounds interesting. Thanks I will certainly look into that. Cheers
Old Dec 26th 2003, 1:05 pm
@matthewb76

Oh and Gary, welcome to the USA btw!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.