British TV

Old Oct 21st 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British TV

Originally Posted by penguinsix
What you might consider is a 'Slingbox swap' where you hook up a slingbox in the UK in exchange for some US based person hooking up a slingbox in the US. You give each other the access codes and can watch the others TV.

The only rub about slingbox is if the 'hosting' person changes the channel, then you get whatever they changed to. If they have a power failure or don't pay their cable bill, then you're basically dead.
Well, that's out the window then.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I gave up on the Slingbox idea. The reality is, when I sit down to watch TV at 7:00PM EST, it's already midnight in the UK... not much on I want to see then.

So live UK TV is a little pointless. I could have a DVR in the UK, setup on Freeview, which would cost little to setup and since no subscription a friend or family member could just set it up in a spare room... or even the loft! No channel changing or subscriptions to worry about.

But if I'm not going to see it live, it brings me back to using torrents... which is what I do. I really like UKnova. I have a DivX player and burn files to a re-writable DVD disc. I can get about 12-hours of TV on each burn I do. Plenty to keep me occupied, I get to see it when I want, and all the adverts are edited out!
Looks like this is the best option.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:03 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
Looks like this is the best option.
It certainly is if you have a good internet connection, and it's a show with a lot of demand. On a good day, I can be watching an episode of Doctor Who within an hour of it finishing on BBC1. It can take a little longer with some other shows, but you can still get what you're looking for pretty quick.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
It certainly is if you have a good internet connection, and it's a show with a lot of demand. On a good day, I can be watching an episode of Doctor Who within an hour of it finishing on BBC1. It can take a little longer with some other shows, but you can still get what you're looking for pretty quick.
I'll be secretly hunting for the US version of Deal Or No Deal - so much better than the one over here!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:19 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I gave up on the Slingbox idea. The reality is, when I sit down to watch TV at 7:00PM EST, it's already midnight in the UK... not much on I want to see then.

So live UK TV is a little pointless. I could have a DVR in the UK, setup on Freeview, which would cost little to setup and since no subscription a friend or family member could just set it up in a spare room... or even the loft! No channel changing or subscriptions to worry about.
Don't know why you'd give up on the Slingbox idea, since you kinda answered your own concern. Freeview DVR would seem the simplest option.
The wife and I rarely watch "live" TV with the exception of news or sports.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:44 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
I'll be secretly hunting for the US version of Deal Or No Deal - so much better than the one over here!
Not much difference really. The only advantage the US version seems to have, is that it isn't hosted by Noel Edmonds.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not much difference really. The only advantage the US version seems to have, is that it isn't hosted by Noel Edmonds.
Yeah, was watching it a lot when I was over. Very good show!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:11 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

And 22 bits of crumpet
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Thydney
And 22 bits of crumpet
Yeah... How could anyone forget...
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a shit ton of threads on getting tele using slingboxes, streaming sites and torrents for those who can be arsed.

But to make it simple, if your doing torrents, get peerguardian, if your using vista, get the beta -
http://phrosty.phoenixlabs.org/pg2-rc1/

Then get the loader to make it work - http://forums.phoenixlabs.org/showthread.php?t=16685

Also check netflix, blockbusters etc as they have a massive online catalogue of tele shows to rent...and check your local library, might get lucky, mine certainly has loads of shows, a lot pretty recent too.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sweet, Bob! I'll get hunting!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

but it's hosted by the chin fluffed annoying cock instead...
Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Spooky... just as I mention Deal Or No Deal today, one of the hostesses closes Wall Street!

Maybe a good omen?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:04 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've been playing with this for the last few days. Not sure if I'm sold on it but it has some good channels, such as Euronews, BBC World, ITN, and some other weird stuff. Streamed but pretty good quality.

http://livestation.com/
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I've been playing with this for the last few days. Not sure if I'm sold on it but it has some good channels, such as Euronews, BBC World, ITN, and some other weird stuff. Streamed but pretty good quality.

http://livestation.com/
It appears to be quite good! Channels are fair to good in quality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.