Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British student loans

Wikiposts

British student loans

Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:54 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British student loans

Originally Posted by mellybrown
are you now earning more than you were in the UK?? Think you had to earn over 17000 to start paying it back - which I never did - and certainly still dont!!
According to the site it's 12000 pounds for the US not 17000 which works out to be about $20,823.81. Not sure why they have the threshold lower in the US than UK but I'll be damned if I'm putting any more effort in to paying them. I tried before I left and after and they just didn't reply.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaywales
hi all.
this is the skinny. i finished Uni 9 years ago moved to the usa in 2000 and have never paid anything.
How proud you must be ......
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of

I totally forgot about my student loan ...... I've just looked at the form and I'm wondering what I should put down as my income ....

I'm still waiting for my EAD so my wife's supporting me at the moment, I don't get a fixed amount from her (we're just struggling by to be honest) .... So how would I declare my income to them ?????

Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

Ask the collection agency for validation. These agencies screw up all the time and will often commit violations that will mean they end up owing you money. Hit fatwallet.com and creditboards.com for more info on these guys.

As far as debts owed to the student loan company, their repayment website looks pretty clear to me on how to make a payment. Perhaps it is a problem finding out how much the minimum possible is that you need to repay, but I would still be making payments on the loan anyway as I do not like debt (although this debt does have a very good interest rate).
Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamuearlJackson
their repayment website looks pretty clear to me on how to make a payment.
If you got a more recent loan. I got mine in 98 which was one of the first years they did them. From what I read they aren't compatible or some such junk with the new system.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mojofilter
I totally forgot about my student loan ...... I've just looked at the form and I'm wondering what I should put down as my income ....

I'm still waiting for my EAD so my wife's supporting me at the moment, I don't get a fixed amount from her (we're just struggling by to be honest) .... So how would I declare my income to them ?????

I'm in the same situation and recently filled out the form to give them an update. I checked the "unemployed and in receipt of third party support" box. I sent a copy of my husbands last tax return showing how much he earns annually, and a letter was also needed from him saying that he is supporting me.

H doesn't earn a lot and doesn't "give" me money per se, but he tries to cover our bills. We are also struggling to get by until I get my EAD.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
According to the site it's 12000 pounds for the US not 17000 which works out to be about $20,823.81. Not sure why they have the threshold lower in the US than UK but I'll be damned if I'm putting any more effort in to paying them. I tried before I left and after and they just didn't reply.
That's a bit rubbish really ain't it...cost of living isn't any cheaper here at all, they really should have broken it down a bit by part of the country, in Maine perhaps it is, but not in Mass.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If you got a more recent loan. I got mine in 98 which was one of the first years they did them. From what I read they aren't compatible or some such junk with the new system.
Second year it was introduced but they still offered the grant the year before...I'm in the same boat as you.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:49 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaywales
hi all.
this is the skinny. i finished Uni 9 years ago moved to the usa in 2000 and have never paid anything. i did receive a few statements but never demands for payment.
Yesterday i got a letter from a debt collection company in CA telling me to pay them. My question is what is my legal stand point here. Can i be foreced to pay them, can i be taken to court for a debt that is outside the USA and can it go on my credit report even through in the UK student loans do not effect your credit rating. Although i owe this money i just dont like being bullied. any help is appreciated.
thanks
Did they have a US address for you or did they track you down?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:07 am
Just Joined

martybops1 is an unknown quantity at this point

could jaywales contact me offlist? i'd appreciate hearing where you are in this process. [email protected]
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I was getting student loans in the '94/'95 and '95/'96 academic years. I think that they were the first years they were available.

Roy
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:43 am
nyx
Just Joined

nyx is an unknown quantity at this point

In America, they can harrass you quite badly. They will toe-the-line of legality. They may call your family and friends, and though they can do this, if they are asked to stop, they must. If they continue, then it is breaking the law.

Calls after 6 pm or to your work are illegal.

They can continue to harrass you. But you do not have to pay the money.

A debt agency can hurt your credit rating, but does that matter? If you have a credit card, car and house. It is frustrating, but does not effect your day to day life unless you let it.

Any bad marks can be removed if the debt is payed, or will be removed after 7 years.

However, if the debt has been sold to a US company, then where is the debt? It can not be in the UK and the US at the same time?

Over time, debt companies will re-sell your debt. Each time it is sold down the chain it is worth less. Never believe them when they say your debt is accruing, this is 100% untrue.

Offer a settlement amount 25% of what they say you owe, and see what happens. You may be able to settle the debt for up to 40% of what you owe, resolcing the situation amicable for eveyone...
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

fogga4000 will become famous soon enough

Yes the 12 000 pound threshold is ridiculous as my cost of living is double what it was in the U.K but expecting my wages to be far less. If you call the SLC they will give you all the info you need and you can set up an internet account.
I would just pay the minimum amount to keep them happy. I dont see how a government based loan can be sold on to a private company, but could be wrong.
I think a lot of people myself included will probably go to the 25 years without ever paying it off. When they offered these loans I think they expected us all to walk into highly paid jobs but obviously the set back of offering "universal" higher education means a degree is effectively meaningless.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone considered that this is a scam operation?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:21 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

My student loan was sold just recently from SLC to thesis servicing - it's all legit. Just means I have to pay someone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.