Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Schools

British Schools

Old Mar 11th 2007, 6:21 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Schools

Originally Posted by Molly Malone
That was all my fault!! I am the hijacker!

Really sorry hun, sometimes I just get carried away!
She said it went off track right from the start so it must be me as I was the first to reply but never mind , we put the world to rights
Old Mar 11th 2007, 6:33 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE]Yes, you are right. I worry about everything, though I only chime in when I think I can successfully argue a point. [/QUOTE]

We moved two teenagers (and a younger child) over here. The two teenagers were very nervous about the move because they had lived in the same place all their lives, they had known most of their friends since birth and had done the whole school system with them. Pittsburgh isn't a hugely inspiring place and living in the suburbs left them cold. They were used to slightly more urban living and being able to get themselves everywhere by bus and train. They could be in the centre of Liverpool in 20 mins by train.
Living here is like being buried alive for them (and me).
Anything that made them feel better about living here was a bonus.
Because they are teenagers the fact that their new school had a Starbucks was just soooo cool. It gave them some kudos back home
That's why I can't get worked up about it because other things have been so much more stressful.

I worry much more about kids being able to drive huge powerful SUV's when they are 16 and have only taken a brief driving test.
In the 15 months we have lived here I have seen more teenagers involved in accidents than ever before.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
She said it went off track right from the start so it must be me as I was the first to reply but never mind , we put the world to rights
slap urself with a wet fish..... !!! My 14 year old is going to do driver ed soon preparing her for her driving at 16!! GOD HELP US ALL. Moody bitch will drive down some old git walkin across the road in one of her bitch from hell moments. So it was about schools... british school or american school. WHAT ABOUT HOME SCHOOLING??? just thought i would throw that in to confuse things more.

What might be adventagious today might not in 10 years time. So do what is convenient and work with it. Dont leave it all to the school which ever u pick. Be prepared to do a lot urself. Let the kid have some sort of life, school isnt the b all and end all of life.

There have been some right plonkers that have made it quite well in the world. I am one of those mothers that gave birth to brain surgeons and they turning out to be baggie ladies at krogers. But i think if i beat them often enough i might just get a nurse out of one of them. The other I am going to marry off to some rich geezers son.

Basically dont lose sleep over it. There are pros and cons in all of it. Its up to u what u do with it. Look at the top 10 list of unis that just got released and look at the top 10 from 10 years ago.... UMMMM DIFFERENT?
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

Living here is like being buried alive for them (and me).
Anything that made them feel better about living here was a bonus.

I worry much more about kids being able to drive huge powerful SUV's when they are 16 and have only taken a brief driving test.
In the 15 months we have lived here I have seen more teenagers involved in accidents than ever before.
I am sorry it is so hard for you guys. I hate the suburbs too. And I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to move to a foreign country while you're in high school. Props to all of you for your strength!

Teenagers in SUVs are scary. And yes, most states have driving tests that are less than thorough - though most teens take 6 weeks of Driver's Education first. Lots of accidents though, also true. Kids think they're invincible.

But I agree with everything you said there so there's really nothing to debate - oh well! I just like to debate sometimes.

And this can be the random whatever pops into our head thread now!
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:35 pm
Who?

QUOTE]slap urself with a wet fish..... !!! [/QUOTE]

No, I can't do that again. The smell was awful.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No, I can't do that again. The smell was awful.