Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Restaurant Voted Best In the World

Wikiposts

British Restaurant Voted Best In the World

Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:51 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Restaurant Voted Best In the World

I do find that when it comes to certain ethnic foods, what is considered hot over here would probably be considered at most a medium in the UK. Of course with Indian food in particular, trying to find a good curry over here is almost impossible. Infact I have it on good authority for someone at work who is Indian, that the nearest decent place to get a curry is a good 100 miles away.

When it comes to bashing British food by Americans I usually take the attitude that any country that invented fast food and peanut butter & jelly sandwiches is in no position to be critical of another country's cuisine
Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:59 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
I make my own chillis and curries and I have to use 4 to 6 heaped teaspoons of US chilli powder PLUS a chopped up jalapeno to even make a mild to medium curry. I gave a bit of a home made korma (mild so my 10 year old would eat it) to some American friends and they turned instantly red rushing round shouting water water. The pansies. Im going to make them a vindaloo to try next....MAUHAAHAHAHAAAAaaaa
Or try giving them a pot of Colmans English mustard and let them smother it on the way they do that yellow slop that masquerades as mustard over here.....
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:24 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
It says they serve bacon and egg ice cream.
I suppose you shouldn't knock it till you've tried it, but......ew.
When I read about the flavor for the ice cream, I knew it had to be Heston Blumenthal, food alchemist. Here's more about him from the Observer Food Monthly from last year-

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/focus...125754,00.html

I'd try the bacon and egg ice cream but I might be sick 'cos I have an egg allergy...

NC Penguin
Old Apr 19th 2005, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Or try giving them a pot of Colmans English mustard and let them smother it on the way they do that yellow slop that masquerades as mustard over here.....
Oh god ... that yellow slop is totally disgusting ... and bears no resemblance to English Mustard ... it has no flavour! I swear that the only reason the kids use that stuff here is so that something goes on the bread ... because they don't use butter. How Americans can call Brit food bland when their mustard is a tasteless, yellow slop is beyond me!

I have often been told by my husband that Brit food is bland ... apparently all Americans say the same. But then I think that all Americans rely on salt and sauces to flavour their food ... the amount of salt used in this house would give the average Brit a heart attack just to see it! I mean ... the children actually take handfulls of salt and lick it ... the ice cream man sells a snack which is nothing but flavoured salt!!