Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Restaurant Voted Best In the World

Wikiposts

British Restaurant Voted Best In the World

Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:34 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking British Restaurant Voted Best In the World

Now that's a surprise!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...d_050419010729
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:43 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Restaurant Voted Best In the World

Originally Posted by Englishmum
It says they serve bacon and egg ice cream.
I suppose you shouldn't knock it till you've tried it, but......ew.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
It says they serve bacon and egg ice cream.
I suppose you shouldn't knock it till you've tried it, but......ew.
They do lobster ice-cream over here...looks and smells nasty, but it ain't that bad...
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have eaten there, a long time ago.

Probably before the current Chef.

(On expenses)
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:50 pm
Franklin

Welcome news from back home ... kind of lifts the spirit ... thank you Englishmum. I would give you some karma but the darn thing won't let me.

Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting point is that out of the whole 50 restaurants listed 14 are in the UK, the highest national total of any country. Plenty of really good places to go fhere or some great nosh and I don't mean Macdonalds!

Cheers

Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:32 pm
ImHere

I can only guess why foriegners knock British food is because most of their experiences must be based on motorway services, railways sandwiches and fast food places in tourist areas. Ive said it before and I'll say it again...some of the very best meals I've had have been in British resturants.

Im sick and tired of unjustified British Bashing so Karma for you for that Englishmum.

Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:20 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Im sick and tired of unjustified British Bashing so Karma for you for that Englishmum.

Good on the restaurant... but even better on your response. Karma to you Imhere. I go from forum to forum here and I really get tired of the British bashing...and from Brits!!!! Whats wrong with some of you guys? No offence and I know some of you are young and want to live elsewhere. Thats fine.. but everywhere has good and bad. Come on, a little Pride of your country even if you never go back.
Sorry Englishmum...You can have your thread back now.
and no... I dont want to argue anything...Just want some of you to think from deep down your heart a little.
(forgive me Englishmum)
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

I can only guess why foriegners knock British food is because most of their experiences must be based on motorway services, railways sandwiches and fast food places in tourist areas.
I had a theory that the US looks down on British food because they're used to extremely strong flavours, spices, "erbs" and peppers in their food and are unable to appreciate the more subtle flavours found in British food, thus dismissing it as bland.

I love my spicy food, though, so what do I know?

Although I could murder a plate of cod and chips from the Magpie Cafe in Whitby.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:27 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scorchio
I had a theory that the US looks down on British food because they're used to extremely strong flavours, spices, "erbs" and peppers in their food and are unable to appreciate the more subtle flavours found in British food, thus dismissing it as bland.

I love my spicy food, though, so what do I know?

Although I could murder a plate of cod and chips from the Magpie Cafe in Whitby.
Err? Strong flavors? It's certainly not in the food unless you count really sweet or really salty.

The "flavors" come from all the sauces, condiments, relishes and dips that accompany pretty much every American food.

Why do you think ethic cuisines like Chinese, Indian, Japanese, and Mexican became Americanized? I think it's a lot to do with the average American's tastebuds not being familiar with a range of flavors...

NC Penguin
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Err? Strong flavors? It's certainly not in the food unless you count really sweet or really salty.

The "flavors" come from all the sauces, condiments, relishes and dips that accompany pretty much every American food.

So... the sauces, condiments, relishes and dips that come in, on and with the food, aren't the food?

I must need another cup of coffee this morning!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:56 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scorchio

So... the sauces, condiments, relishes and dips that come in, on and with the food, aren't the food?

I must need another cup of coffee this morning!
When did you last eat or order just a bowl of sauce or dip as a snack or meal?

Next time you eat a fast food burger, eat a piece of the burger without anything on it (no sauce, relish, pickle, lettuce, etc.). It's more than likely going to be tasteless with a texture not dissmilar to cardboard. Take the coating off that fried fish or chicken. It has virtually no flavor.

British foods have a little bit more flavor when they're unadulterated (though it's going the same way as the US every day).

NC Penguin
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:16 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad that I am not the only one that thinks american food is bland and tasteless (with a few exceptions, before some asshole becomes a bigger asshole). For being told that British food sucks, it is amazing how bland American food is, no wonder these buggers use so much ketchup, its so they actually taste something.

Patrick
Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:00 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Patrick
I am glad that I am not the only one that thinks american food is bland and tasteless (with a few exceptions, before some asshole becomes a bigger asshole). For being told that British food sucks, it is amazing how bland American food is, no wonder these buggers use so much ketchup, its so they actually taste something.

Patrick

I make my own chillis and curries and I have to use 4 to 6 heaped teaspoons of US chilli powder PLUS a chopped up jalapeno to even make a mild to medium curry. I gave a bit of a home made korma (mild so my 10 year old would eat it) to some American friends and they turned instantly red rushing round shouting water water. The pansies. Im going to make them a vindaloo to try next....MAUHAAHAHAHAAAAaaaa

Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:29 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

I make my own chillis and curries and I have to use 4 to 6 heaped teaspoons of US chilli powder PLUS a chopped up jalapeno to even make a mild to medium curry. I gave a bit of a home made korma (mild so my 10 year old would eat it) to some American friends and they turned instantly red rushing round shouting water water. The pansies. Im going to make them a vindaloo to try next....MAUHAAHAHAHAAAAaaaa
Are there are any Chinese or Indian grocery stores in your area? If so, they'd have the really hot chilli spices and the bird's eye chillies.

Habanero and Scotch Bonnet peppers have a more firey bite than jalapeno if those are sold in your regular grocery store.

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.