Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Nursing Qualification

British Nursing Qualification

Old Dec 25th 2009, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

emmylou38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Nursing Qualification

Hi - its my first time on here - wanted to know if theres any british trained Nurses who have sat the NCLEX/? test?
Old Dec 25th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Nursing Qualification

Originally Posted by emmylou38
Hi - its my first time on here - wanted to know if theres any british trained Nurses who have sat the NCLEX/? test?
Yup, me!

Hello
Old Dec 26th 2009, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

Originally Posted by emmylou38
Yeah I have
Old Dec 26th 2009, 1:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few who did ....
Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:47 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

lived here nearly 18 months, first you need to do the Certificate of Foreign graduates or some such.. and they are bureaucratic arses, , because I went to 2 secondary schools, the system went into meltdown! but until Christmas Eve I did not want to work here...and my first visit to an American Hospital in October confirmed my feelings, they examined patient in triage in full view of the waiting rm, I was asked to remove my glasses in the Cat Scan then asked to sign a consent form!, these are just 2 of the list of my list of horrors in the hospital, oh NO hand gel anywhere, patients with coughs and flu like symptom, given masks to wear as party hats! they where given them but NO nurse came out and reminded them to keep them down (yawn! i know the science, 3 minutes, but masks stop areosoling ) Oh and triage..an hour and a half to be seen? so kind of superfluous? welcome to America, and I have heath insurance!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:51 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I used the NHS, 3 years ago son cut his head, 43 minutes door to door plus stitches! I timed it said but true.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Penny Lane is an unknown quantity at this point

I sat NCLEX and have a US license, but still live and work in the UK because of the visa situation.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 3:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I have both UK and US licenses. I much prefer nursing in UK, the beside manner and cleanliness here is sucky. Theres also an lot of backstabbing and stepping on each other to get ahead not like the team work I experienced in UK.
I have to get back to work in the new year, I'm dreading it and hoping I find that great place where there still is team work and pleasant co workers
Old Dec 27th 2009, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I have both UK and US licenses. I much prefer nursing in UK, the beside manner and cleanliness here is sucky. Theres also an lot of backstabbing and stepping on each other to get ahead not like the team work I experienced in UK.
I have to get back to work in the new year, I'm dreading it and hoping I find that great place where there still is team work and pleasant co workers

Good luck, if I had to work as a RN anywhere in the US it would be Ca at least the nurse patient ratio is 5:1. Personally I despair of the way some hospitals here treat nurses.....one of them is cancelling shifts when there is a low patient ratio......you have to use your holiday time, if you don't have any then tough, you don't get paid. I work in acute rehab and whilst this happened to me a few times in Ca, it was nothing like where I am now....because of changes in Medicare etc, I have lost approximately 30% per pay period.... can you imagine this happening if working for the NHS!

As a consumer and employee I for one can't wait to get back to the UK and the good ole NHS.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patzy
Good luck, if I had to work as a RN anywhere in the US it would be Ca at least the nurse patient ratio is 5:1. Personally I despair of the way some hospitals here treat nurses.....one of them is cancelling shifts when there is a low patient ratio......you have to use your holiday time, if you don't have any then tough, you don't get paid. I work in acute rehab and whilst this happened to me a few times in Ca, it was nothing like where I am now....because of changes in Medicare etc, I have lost approximately 30% per pay period.... can you imagine this happening if working for the NHS!

As a consumer and employee I for one can't wait to get back to the UK and the good ole NHS.
True but hospital work is now the bottom of my list of wanted jobs they have all switched over to 12 hour shifts around here, I'd have to drive there and back and actually see to patients after that long, it can't be safe, for patients or drivers around me.
I'm hoping to get back in a doctors office (thats what I did when I first got here). I did home visits for 10 years until Dd was born.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm AU not UK trained but passed NCLEX and currently work in hospital environment in Pittsburgh. Love it! Have the most awesome coworkers and coolest job ever.

Just to edit what someone else said, you do not need CGFNS certificate for almost all states, think there are only a few that still need it. You do have to use the CGFNS organization to get your Visa Screen Certificate and the CES assessment of your credentials if the state demands such. Just depends where you're planning on going.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Passed NCLEX and due to visa situation now in Canada and staying here, love it. May want to check out allnurses.com International forum much written there re retrogression and the long long wait
Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder why people do that? Start a thread then never come back

Oh well, takes all sorts I suppose
Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

"Never" come back? She only posted a couple of days ago!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

emmylou38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah - i have actually been working since i posted the thread - 12 hour shifts++ But thanks to those who have made a positive contribution to my post!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.