Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Mother with dual nationality child custody rights if in the USA?

Wikiposts

British Mother with dual nationality child custody rights if in the USA?

Old Nov 6th 2006, 3:27 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Mother with dual nationality child custody rights if in the USA?

Originally Posted by loopsta29
Thank you so much for the information, that has answered a lot of my questions, I think the best bet is to keep it as amicable as possible and get his permission to take our son back to the UK to live.

Hey keep your chin up, you are amongst friends here, and always will be.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 3:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Mother with dual nationality child custody rights if in the USA?

I'm a lawful permanent resident,
Have you got conditions on your green card? (this is common for many marriage based green cards). If so, you need to get them removed.

If your child is an American then custody issues aside, you should be careful about abandoning the US until you can become a US citizen yourself. Otherwise you may encounter a problem if your child decides (as an adult) to return to the US, as your own residence status would be long gone.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Hi, I am a British US Resident living in the states, I am trying to find out my rights, my US born citizen husband and I are no longer getting along, we have been married for 3 years and after his recent indiscretions I can no longer live with him, let alone in this country, however I have no family here and he has a lot so I am afraid he will try and take my child away from me, either through a lawyer as I am only a resident or his family will just take my child.

Please if anyone has any advice about my rights I would be ever so grateful.
Cozy up to your husband (however displeasing this may be) for a few weeks while you secretly get your nipper a UK passport and then when it comes in the post leggit back to blighty....Simple!!!!

NEXT!!!!!
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Cozy up to your husband (however displeasing this may be) for a few weeks while you secretly get your nipper a UK passport and then when it comes in the post leggit back to blighty....Simple!!!!

NEXT!!!!!
Don't think she can do that. The baby being a USC...would have to leave the US on his US passport. She could very well be asked to provide proof that the baby's father gave his consent for the baby to be taken out of the country.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't think she can do that. The baby being a USC...would have to leave the US on his US passport. She could very well be asked to provide proof that the baby's father gave his consent for the baby to be taken out of the country.
If the baby leaves the US on a UK passport how are they going to know its a septic.....do they cooo with a different accent them? Honestly Jersey...you are so naive but I'll make a villain of you yet.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
If the baby leaves the US on a UK passport how are they going to know its a septic.....do they cooo with a different accent them? Honestly Jersey...you are so naive but I'll make a villain of you yet.

A UK court would probably rule that the baby must be returned to the US. If she wanted to come back with the baby the authorities aren't going to look very favourably on her are they?
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

A UK court would probably rule that the baby must be returned to the US. If she wanted to come back with the baby the authorities aren't going to look very favourably on her are they?
Cobblers.... a UK court would let the UK citizen mother keep the UK citizen baby, specially if the UK citizen mother claimed the US daddy was abit of an Uncle Chester. Its only a small porky.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

if she registers it as a british citizen ...yes ..........
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a lawful permanent resident, that is very worrying I would never see my british family again!
Would recommend you seek citizenship as your goal so as to have an unrestricted right to enter and leave the US. You can do this whether or not you are married to him. Address questions you may have on this topic down in the Marriage Forum.

Arizona is a no-fault state for marriages. They simply ain't interested in who is at fault for the divorce. On the plus side, it's also a community property state, so any assets gained after the marriage are in the pot.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 12:01 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

One thing seemingly forgotten in the responses is: What will be best for the child? Although you and the father have difficulties, does that mean that the child should be denied having a father? If you go back to England that is what will happen. I know nothing about the guy, but if he is not a danger to the child then it would seem very selfish of you to take the kid away from him forever.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 1:55 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

If the child has lives here in the USA within the past X months, then he is classed as a resident of here.
And the British courts will uphold that, no matter whom the parents/ nationality are.
The removal of a child from their country of habitual residence by one parent (or person who has parental responsibility) without the agreement of the other parent (or person who has parental responsibility) is classed as "wrongful removal" under the terms of the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.
www.reunite.org

Last edited by Manc; Nov 7th 2006 at 1:58 am.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 2:08 am
Just Joined

loopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Manc
If the child has lives here in the USA within the past X months, then he is classed as a resident of here.
And the British courts will uphold that, no matter whom the parents/ nationality are.

www.reunite.org
Hi thank you all for your advice, my son does in fact have both a US and British passport, my husband has verbally given permission and wants to work this out as friendly as possible, he has even said he will move to the UK with us, living spearalty of course, I hope this thread will be of use to other people, but I wuldn't wish this situation on anyone.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 2:13 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thank you all for your advice, my son does in fact have both a US and British passport, my husband has verbally given permission and wants to work this out as friendly as possible, he has even said he will move to the UK with us, living spearalty of course, I hope this thread will be of use to other people, but I wuldn't wish this situation on anyone.
once divorced, your husband has no right of abode in the UK.

get the verbals in writing on paper.
and notarised.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 2:17 am
Just Joined

loopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud ofloopsta29 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Manc
once divorced, your husband has no right of abode in the UK.

get the verbals in writing on paper.
and notarised.
Yes I know, thats why I'm thinking separation right now as it would work both ways in the divorce settlement, he has a lot of debt and I have some cash tied up in the UK which he could be entitled to half of in a divorce I worked too hard to get that to let that happen.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 2:19 am
@matthewb76

Yes I know, thats why I'm thinking separation right now as it would work both ways in the divorce settlement, he has a lot of debt and I have some cash tied up in the UK which he could be entitled to half of in a divorce I worked too hard to get that to let that happen.
you sure seem to have picked a winner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.