Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Men amongst American Men?

British Men amongst American Men?

Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Question British Men amongst American Men?

In the workplace, how are you British men treated by your American male co-workers?

Please say what sort of job you do so I can muster up a picture.

Also, if there are any other senerios where being a British man amongst American men comes to mind, I'd be interested to know all about it, good and bad.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: British Men amongst American Men?

Originally posted by whatever
In the workplace, how are you British men treated by your American male co-workers?

Also, if there are any other senerios where being a British man amongst American men comes to mind, I'd be interested to know all about it, good and bad.
I am a lobbyist/consultant in DC and most of my collegues are the aggressive, outgoing type. Basically good, friendly blokes who also enjoy taking the piss out of me and each other, quite like brothers. Of course being the lone Brit, they attribute every stereotype, custom, policy and event associated with the UK to me.

They like to make the typical American jokes about how all Brit men are gay, play girly sports like "soccer", and eat bad food. I endlessly hear about how "Britain used to rule the US, but then the Americans drove out the English and saved Britain's ass in two world wars blah blah blah". Honestly, most of it is good natured ribbing, and I give it right back.

Occassionally, the comments have a serious tone and get a bit more pointed, as in "why do Brits think they are so superior when they are a bunch of has-beens who are reliant on the US".

This morning, one of my friends who is working on a project involving Blair's visit next week, came in and asked me "why do you Brits think Americans are shallow and superficial when Brits are so aloof and arrogant that they don't bother to get to know us" and launched into a "Brits are snobs without a reason" rant. Apparently, he has not enjoyed working with Blair's people and decided to take it out on me.

In general, the Americans I work with treat me with respect and actually could not care less about me being a Brit other than it gives them something to tease me about, but that is just part of the office comraderie and I don't mind.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!
I am a lobbyist/consultant in DC and most of my collegues are the aggressive, outgoing type. Basically good, friendly blokes who also enjoy taking the piss out of me and each other, quite like brothers. Of course being the lone Brit, they attribute every stereotype, custom, policy and event associated with the UK to me.

They like to make the typical American jokes about how all Brit men are gay, play girly sports like "soccer", and eat bad food. I endlessly hear about how "Britain used to rule the US, but then the Americans drove out the English and saved Britain's ass in two world wars blah blah blah". Honestly, most of it is good natured ribbing, and I give it right back.

Occassionally, the comments have a serious tone and get a bit more pointed, as in "why do Brits think they are so superior when they are a bunch of has-beens who are reliant on the US".

This morning, one of my friends who is working on a project involving Blair's visit next week, came in and asked me "why do you Brits think Americans are shallow and superficial when Brits are so aloof and arrogant that they don't bother to get to know us" and launched into a "Brits are snobs without a reason" rant. Apparently, he has not enjoyed working with Blair's people and decided to take it out on me.

In general, the Americans I work with treat me with respect and actually could not care less about me being a Brit other than it gives them something to tease me about, but that is just part of the office comraderie and I don't mind.

I may be female but this is much the same for me as a lone Brit in a US hospital. I found everyone wanted to know me and I was treated really well. But saying that, you are alway sterotyped from old British TV movies. I too have had the stuff about them saving us in the war and kicking us out.....blah blah blah,,,
Generally it is all in fun. Sometimes I think they are really surprised that we have modern stuff in UK, they have the opion we live in the dark ages I think. I just find it a laugh.
Suzieque
Old Apr 7th 2004, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by suzieque
I may be female but this is much the same for me as a lone Brit in a US hospital. I found everyone wanted to know me and I was treated really well. But saying that, you are alway sterotyped from old British TV movies. I too have had the stuff about them saving us in the war and kicking us out.....blah blah blah,,,
Generally it is all in fun. Sometimes I think they are really surprised that we have modern stuff in UK, they have the opion we live in the dark ages I think. I just find it a laugh.
Suzieque
I get on well with all the americans in my office, people are generally interested in the UK, Europe and its history. The only thing I struggle with and miss is the sports banter as I have no interest or a clue about Yank sports.

There is a lot piss taking about playing that game where everyone hugs each other etc, but as said before its all good natured and Americans dont seemed to mind it coming back their way either.

The only thing I would say (and im being general) is Americans total nawarenss of stuff in the UK, thinking we all had mobiles because the phone lines were not as good as here, that kind of thing, which rubs me up the wrong way.

Generaly its good though...

Last edited by mattbutt; Apr 7th 2004 at 5:53 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mattbutt
I get on well with all the americans in my office, people are generally interested in the UK, Europe and its history. The only thing I struggle with and miss is the sports banter as I have no interest or a clue about Yank sports.

There is a lot piss taking about playing that game where everyone hugs each other etc, but as said before its all good natured and Americans dont seemed to mind it coming back their way either.

The only thing I would say (and im being general) is Americans total nawarenss of stuff in the UK, thinking we all had mobiles because the phone lines were not as good as here, that kind of thing, which rubs me up the wrong way.

Generaly its good though...
Seconded. Being in the IT industry its almost exclusively men here and perhaps there's not as much competitiveness due to our type of work. Simply give back as good as you get though. I get all the ribbing and questioning like everyone else but there's a lot you can do to turn it around, for example.

US colleague "Alwight mate!"
My response "Is Dick Van Dyk in the room?!"

or

Me "Shoe shine guvna?"

Just play into it a bit and they love it =) Americans seem so worried about causing offence (and ergo, a lawsuit) that if you show that they haven't caused offence, they then really relax and things are nicer. In my experience at least.

Actually, funniest question ever asked to me the other day "I read online that on a Tuesday everyone in Britain gives someone else a gift - is that true". Unless they're talking about a Glasgow Kiss on a Friday night after a few bevvies I have no idea what they were on about.

David.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:26 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!
I
....They like to make the typical American jokes about how all Brit men are gay, play girly sports like "soccer" ...
Well, there is that whole 'boys running around in shorts and knee socks'' thing ya' know- not the "manly-man"'s idea of how to spend a proper Sunday PM.

(Don't get me wrong- I love "Soccer" and live for the day when the US can actually compete consistantly in the world stage.)
Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:09 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ironporer
Well, there is that whole 'boys running around in shorts and knee socks'' thing ya' know- not the "manly-man"'s idea of how to spend a proper Sunday PM.

(Don't get me wrong- I love "Soccer" and live for the day when the US can actually compete consistantly in the world stage.)
As opposed to overweight men in shoulder pads that Joan Collins would be proud of...and the bottoms that look like industrial womens tights that are a few sizes too small...this is usually my reply about "soccer" to Americans
Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Hi,
I'm Administration Manager for a housing company on a Naval Base.
When I first started here (8 months ago) I had a bit of a hard time with a couple of "rednecks" here, just testing me out I guess.
I did 2 things.
1/. Gave as good as I got.
2/. Did my job and turned this place around from the mess it was in.
Result: Voted Employee of the Year by my work "mates" and now things are great.
Hit them with a few cockney expressions, they love it.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 10:00 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard a few comments about British males liking 'girlie' sports like soccer. I usually reply with the good old comment about American Football being "rugby for wimps". In a light hearted way of course.
Most of the time though, I'm just treated like one of the guys. Although it might help that the people I work with the most have a liking for most things British, especially the music!
Old Apr 8th 2004, 1:27 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Where have you been the past decade? They already do - it's called the U.S. WOMEN'S national team! Or don't women count as real athletes?
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:20 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dunroving
Where have you been the past decade? They already do - it's called the U.S. WOMEN'S national team! Or don't women count as real athletes?
Perhaps the do...but it would mean more if, as in the US the women in other countries had an honest chance to compete.

And I also don't discount our men's team's performance in the recent World Cup...Damn Germans!!! I was proud of the "boys" that day (even though it was something like 4 am here, and I must have been the only American watching).
Old Apr 8th 2004, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the do...but it would mean more if, as in the US the women in other countries had an honest chance to compete.
Excuse me??
Old Apr 8th 2004, 3:16 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you will find in the UK and many other top footballing nations there are many 'opportunites to compete'. In fact there are pro women footballers in the UK, Women’s FA Cup, televised by the BBC and loads of other opportunities.

I think the US women’s team lost the Women’s world cup last year anyway, so im not sure you point is valid.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 9:30 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

I work in IT and am treated no differently to anyone else, though my Irish accent always helps when being introduced to new people.

I wouldn't have expected any less. Of course I have to put people in their place about their spelling and pronunciation and their girlie football.........
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by dgsyd1
I've heard a few comments about British males liking 'girlie' sports like soccer. I usually reply with the good old comment about American Football being "rugby for wimps". In a light hearted way of course.
Most of the time though, I'm just treated like one of the guys. Although it might help that the people I work with the most have a liking for most things British, especially the music!

You forgot about the other american sport Basketball. In the NBA they were their shorts all the way below the knee. And it involves strategy, thinking, athletic abitlity, speed, and accuracy when shooting the ball. Now there is a sport better then soccer or britsh football.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.