British ID Cards Anyone?

Wikiposts

British ID Cards Anyone?

Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:54 am
Peter21

Default British ID Cards Anyone?

Here is the item about new British ID cards:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4856074.stm

Sounds like they will be in place by 2010.

Any idea if we will need to get one to use NHS or to get our pensions? What will they be used for?

Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:05 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British ID Cards Anyone?

Originally Posted by Peter21
Here is the item about new British ID cards:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4856074.stm

Sounds like they will be in place by 2010.

Any idea if we will need to get one to use NHS or to get our pensions? What will they be used for?
Hopefully this will fall flat on its face when they try to impliment it.
No doubt IBM, Accenture or whatever bunch of conmen is suits they get in will make a pig's ear of things.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:10 pm
Peter21

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
No doubt IBM, Accenture or whatever bunch of conmen is suits they get in will make a pig's ear of things.
Yeah, sounds like only those that renew passports will have to get one. So that means lots of people won't get one and if that is the case, what can the ID cards be compulsory for?

Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you never try to get a job with any of the companies you keep naming.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:17 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hope you never try to get a job with any of the companies you keep naming.
I used to think it would be a good idea until I started working with consultants myself
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter21
Yeah, sounds like only those that renew passports will have to get one. So that means lots of people won't get one and if that is the case, what can the ID cards be compulsory for?

You also have to be resident to get one. So presumably most of us won't have one.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I used to think it would be a good idea until I started working with consultants myself
Well just in case you change your mind you might want to keep the names to yourself.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 29th 2006 at 12:46 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

why ??
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
why ??
Think the worrying thing with the UK ones is the plan to link them to other databases. On mainland Europe, there is often specific legislation to stop this happening.

Be a better idea just to beef up the application procedure for a driving license and provide a non-driver license as well. Then you could do it without being so sinisterly big brotherish.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Think the worrying thing with the UK ones is the plan to link them to other databases. On mainland Europe, there is often specific legislation to stop this happening.

Be a better idea just to beef up the application procedure for a driving license and provide a non-driver license as well. Then you could do it without being so sinisterly big brotherish.
am I very naive if I'm in the "nothing to hide nothing to worry about " camp ?
Old Mar 29th 2006, 1:25 pm
Septicity

Yep! You trust the government to work in your best interest, do you?
Old Mar 29th 2006, 1:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Well that makes 2 of us then.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 1:40 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Well that makes 2 of us then.

Hope you don't mind the Daily Mail as a source? It was the "Feeling Lucky" choice at Google.

DVLA sells your details to criminals
Old Mar 29th 2006, 1:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

The principle of liberty from government surveillance is important. It's not a matter of whether you've done anything wrong, but of whether you want a government body to collect all this data and be able to demand that you present said card whether you have done anything wrong or not. Personally, I even get annoyed when I got to a shop where you have to show your receipt and have your stuff checked just to leave, although I have done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide.

In addition, nobody has been able to come up with any evidence that such record keeping will actually make anyone any safer.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 1:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Hope you don't mind the Daily Mail as a source? It was the "Feeling Lucky" choice at Google.

DVLA sells your details to criminals
I was holding my breath waiting for what you were going to come up with. LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.